Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wise Giteau advises youngster O'Connor

vCash

Wise Giteau advises youngster O'Connor

http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/break...0514-b4ju.html

Wallabies maestro Matt Giteau is yet to play his last Super 14 match for the Western Force but it seems he's already working to entice star-on-the-rise James O'Connor to follow him to the Brumbies.

Giteau will be one of six players lining up for the Force for the final time on Saturday night when they meet the Highlanders at Subiaco Oval.

In-demand teenager O'Connor could become No.7 with the Brumbies rumoured to have the upper hand over the Waratahs in the fight to lure him east.

Asked what advice he would give the exciting utility back who is squarely in the Wallabies mix this year, Giteau was none too subtle in saying the 18-year-old's priority needed to be finding the best environment to develop his game.

O'Connor can command far more money in Perth with the Force but the Brumbies appear to have the best stocks of backline talent with Giteau and fellow Force half Josh Valentine moving to Canberra to join Test regulars Stirling Mortlock and Adam Ashley-Cooper.

"I think listen to the ones who are close to you, parents and family, and then make your decision where you think you are going to develop best rugby wise," Giteau said.

"I think that's the biggest thing for a guy of his age.

"He has to look at where he's going to develop the best because he could potentially be one of the great players but he could also be a great player when he was younger but didn't actually develop."

The Force are desperately trying to retain O'Connor by luring a big-name playmaker to the club to help mentor the Gold Coast product.

Giteau was speaking after controversial former Test coach Eddie Jones reported he'd heard O'Connor would link with the Brumbies because they would have the best backline and the Force "was run by Cowboys".

But in a conservative and player-friendly move, Force coach John Mitchell on Thursday chose to safeguard O'Connor's Wallabies hopes, as well as those of Richard Brown and Cameron Shepherd, by resting them from the emotional final round clash on Saturday night.

Mitchell said O'Connor (shoulder), Brown (ankle) and Shepherd (knee) could have all played with medical assistance.

"I think it's important to think about their futures," the coach said.

Mitchell wants to see his team finish as high as possible in the competition - they can finish seventh at best - with a win which would also provide a fitting farewell to Japan-bound loyal servants Tai McIsaac and Scott Staniforth, who will play his 100th Super rugby game.

Giteau, Valentine, Drew Mitchell and Tamaiti Horua will also pull on the Force jersey for the last time against the Highlanders in the club's last game at Subiaco Oval before they move to Members Equity Stadium in 2010.

Western Force: Drew Mitchell, Scott Staniforth, Ryan Cross, Josh Tatupu, Nick Cummins, Matt Giteau, Josh Valentine; Tamaiti Horua, David Pocock, Matt Hodgson, Nathan Sharpe (capt), Sam Wykes, AJ Whalley, Tai McIsaac, Pek Cowan. Res: Ben Whittaker, Troy Takiari, Tom Hockings, Richard Stanford, Chris O'Young, Junior Pelesasa, Haig Sare.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Who the hell wrote this article? How does "you should go where you can best develop your game" translate to "come to the brumbies with me because i'm so wonderful". God I'm sick of journos drawing conclusions based on absolutely nothing...

O'Connor may go but I highly doubt it will be because Giteau told him what to do.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    your probably right, it will be because his dad told him to
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I don't know hey....he's pretty damn feisty that boy....not sure he'd let anyone tell him what to do.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It'll be interesting. His agent is presumably on commission, so he'll be pushing the money and commercial opportunities...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    It'll be interesting. His agent is presumably on commission, so he'll be pushing the money and commercial opportunities...
    Which is his dad so I don't think he'll really care that much.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    HIs father is not his agent. His player agent is Anthony Piccone.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    HIs father is not his agent. His player agent is Anthony Piccone.
    My bad. Situation must have changed since I last saw.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I think we may all be reading Matt's comments incorrectly.

Lets take a step back in time, the Force had no fly half of note, Giteau is being pushed as a scrumhalf option for the Wallabies, Force play Giteau at flyhalf, he develops within two years to one, if not the best current flyhalf in the world.

Matt said go were you will develop best, could it not be here at the Force?

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    i believe JoC is gone, but hopefully he made his own mind up and gits didnt make it up for him....

vCash
    Well lets wait and see maybe Gits as not got into J.O.C Dads ear ?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    wow. mudskipper a bit slow on this one.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Player
    vCash
    If O'Connor goes to the Brumbies, we should try to get Toomua from them. He's been an absolute revelation in the last few games. VERY good control at 10 for such a young player. Huge boot, tackles, bust the line, and kicks DROP GOALS!! Surely a Wallaby in the making. The Brumbies have far too many inside backs than they have room for- there's gonna be a few more wild horses bolting for certain (already heard Fairbanks may be headed Nippon way...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyM View Post
    If O'Connor goes to the Brumbies, we should try to get Toomua from them. He's been an absolute revelation in the last few games. VERY good control at 10 for such a young player. Huge boot, tackles, bust the line, and kicks DROP GOALS!! Surely a Wallaby in the making. The Brumbies have far too many inside backs than they have room for- there's gonna be a few more wild horses bolting for certain (already heard Fairbanks may be headed Nippon way...
    Leaa....la-guy would also be an extremely nice catch. Wow that guy has been great this season. Gotta feel for him now Gits is back. I'm curious about next season about Friend's mental capabilites - will he move Gits to 12 and keep Lea ala la at 10? For our sake I hope not!

I'd like to think BabyJames won't go. I won't be suprised if he does, but he is a very very talented young man and I'd like to think we could retain him. The Brumbies have too many, the Tahs have a fair few too and the Reds ain't looking too swish (sorry), plus they have Barnes and Cooper. Why sit on the bench over East when you can start here!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    I would like to think JOC would follow in brownys footsteps and show abit of loyality to the force...after all where was JOC acouple of years ago? Surely force have given him alot of opportunities that wouldnt go not remembered?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast