Thread: Brumbies beckon brilliant O'Connor

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brumbies beckon brilliant O'Connor

By Iain Payten

June 09, 2009 12:00am

TEENAGE sensation James O'Connor admits joining the expanding Brumbies "dream team" is an alluring prospect, and he will use the Wallabies' week in Canberra to get a feel for his potential home in 2010.
    The timing of O'Connor preparing for a Test against Italy in the ACT could not be worse for the Western Force, whose struggle to retain the brilliant youngster took another huge blow over the weekend.

The Force were hoping to recruit former Springbok Peter Grant to replace Matt Giteau at No. 10 next season, but it has emerged the Stormers playmaker pulled the pin on negotiations and signed with French side Racing Metro last Friday.

With O'Connor admitting yesterday he was "going to want a marquee five-eighth" at the Force to take pressure off him, the loss of Grant will serve to make the Brumbies more attractive after the club last week added Rocky Elsom to a star-studded roster. O'Connor is tossing up whether to be a role player at the Brumbies or a central figure at the Force and will make a final call this month.

"We have access to a few cars in Canberra this week and I will definitely have a cruise around and check the place out," O'Connor said.

"There's no doubt they're building a super team over here.

"I'd like to think I am my own man and make my own calls but there's no doubt having the support structure over here with the likes of Matt Giteau, Stirling Mortlock, George Smith and now Rocky, it is going to be a good base to learn from.

"There are still a few things I need to sort out, where I want to go and what's going to be best for my future. Whether I step out there on my own and start making some calls and get more involved in a leadership role, or whether I keep learning from these experienced players. That's a call I have to make."

Force general manager Mitch Hardy said Grant's decision to play in France was disappointing, but they still had irons in the fire for other top-class five-eighths. Without one, O'Connor appears likely to walk.

"That's going to come into it. I am going to want a marquee No. 10, so I can keep that support structure around me. If we can solve that problem it would be a big bonus for (the Force)," O'Connor said.

The 18-year-old performed impressively at fullback in a 15-minute cameo against the Barbarians, making several tidy runs and even scoring a try.

O'Connor said all the side were excited about the upcoming Italy Test, and the winter ahead, after their promising first-up display against the Baa-Baas.

"It was great reassurance our structures and game plan really work for us, and if we open it up well, we've showed what we can do. We have the players and the team to put on a good performance and get those wins," he said.

The Queensland-born teenager said he was not banking on being named in the Wallabies' run-on side today after the starting backline "all had blinders" against the Baa-Baas.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001023,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Apprentice
    vCash
    does not look good ...

vCash
    I am sure that we have planned for life without him, and although this article is the nearest thing yet to confirming his impending departure to the Brumbies “the opera aint over till the fat lady sings"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfiep View Post
    I am sure that we have planned for life without him, and although this article is the nearest thing yet to confirming his impending departure to the Brumbies “the opera aint over till the fat lady sings"
    Is the fat lady Matt Dunning?

vCash
    Hm. That's not good. I think it comes down to being the star or the assistant. I mean, at the Force there is no doubt he will be the star of our backline and it will probably be built around him, whereas at the Brumbies he'd probably be the boy on the bench or assisting around the place. I know which I'd prefer.

I'd like to hope James has the balls to stay. Ryan Cross is here, who will possibly be 13 at the world cup for James to build a partnership with if Mitch fancies playing him at 12. Cameron Shepard and Nick Cummins will definetly be in the mix next worldcup if he wants a nice back 3 combination. There is nothing wrong with the assistance he'd get here.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    "We have access to a few cars in Canberra this week and I will definitely have a cruise around and check the place out," O'Connor said.
    Hopefuly when he realises all there is to do in canberra is drive around then he wont want to go.

I can't wait to see how badly the brumbies suck up to him and try to make it look like an exiting change and move.

vCash
    If he goes and together with the rest of the team that they have assembled the pressure to perform will be enormous, just ask any Chelsea player or manager, from the other code, what comes with "buying" a championship or should we say trying to.

Robyn, agree wholeheartly there is nothing wrong with Cross, Shepperd, Sheehan and Cummings in support.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    Hopefuly when he realises all there is to do in canberra is drive around then he wont want to go.
    got that in one, Canberra is the most boring place in Australia. Even muddy moved to Sydney.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    If he goes and together with the rest of the team that they have assembled the pressure to perform will be enormous, just ask any Chelsea player or manager, from the other code, what comes with "buying" a championship or should we say trying to.
    Got that in one as well.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions

vCash
    Who is this idiot Iain Payten? He obviously doesn't know sh*t, given Fagan's comments posted elsewhere!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Or maybe Fagan knows sh*t and Payten's got the inside track. Hope not, and Robyn's sauces (from the man himself, IIRC) point towards Fagan.

vCash
    Friday....

vCash
    My! I was feeling all upset about James possibly going then I remembered my sauces. It's all cool. Plus he wouldn't join the super-awesome facebook group if he didn't want to stay.

Friday indeed Muddy. He'll be all ours!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry