Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SCHOOLBOY STAR LUKE JONES COMMITS TO EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    excuse me,I may be tired & emotional tonight,but i can't understand the point of only a one year contract for the kid
    I think the two big things are that at 17 there is no knowing exactly how well he'll adapt to S14 where a longer contract might turn out to be a bad investment and that if he was given a 2 or 3 year contract he would become too 'comfortable' and wouldn't feel the need to constantly prove himself like he would if he was playing for his next contract.

One year is good. If he turns out bad no loss but if he turns out good you hook him up with a 2 to 3 year contract before he becomes too much of a target for other teams. We need plenty of options post Sharpe and in general as lock depth isn't huge in Australia. The Waratahs have been struggling to find someone and between all of the teams and the new Melbourne team it would be good to have a bit of a mortgage on the young talents.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    While its great the Force are giving this kid a go for a year asa rookie... How is the school thing going to work out?... or are his HSC subjects, English line-out calls, Scrum Physics, Tackle Biology, Kick Chase Mathematics, Match Committee Business and Mitchell Music class... I guess if he gets a pass he's ahead...
    Come on! If he signed for us you would be telling everyone how good a kindergarden teacher we had here at the Brumbies.

Last edited by müdskipper; 04-01-10 at 11:19.

Player
    vCash
    Hodgson for hooker
    Actually- this could be a sensational idea. Would allow us to have a tall 6 on the park without losing Hodgson's aggression, speed and ball-pilfering skills. Probably a switch Waugh should have made 5 years ago to prolong hi Wallaby career

vCash
    Get him in the middle of the front row... He played 7 for the Beasts today against Waugh for the Students... Hooker could be a good more for him both at S14 and possible future international level....

Additionally your new schoolboy lock had a small blood bin run on for UNI today... he needs plenty of good meals and time in the gym to build up but has promise...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyM View Post
    Actually- this could be a sensational idea. Would allow us to have a tall 6 on the park without losing Hodgson's aggression, speed and ball-pilfering skills. Probably a switch Waugh should have made 5 years ago to prolong hi Wallaby career
    Might need to eat a few more pies before he makes it official though......he's only just bulked up to 'small #6' size.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Get him in the middle of the front row... He played 7 for the Beasts today against Waugh for the Students... Hooker could be a good more for him both at S14 and possible future international level....

Additionally your new schoolboy lock had a small blood bin run on for UNI today... he needs plenty of good meals and time in the gym to build up but has promise...
    That was Sam Carter coming on for McCalman. Get it right Muddy.

Player
    vCash
    He's only what 17, 18 at most. The chance's of him playing next year is minimal. It's his professional development season. Come 2011 when he gets a full contract he'll be in the 110-115 kg range. And it was Sam Carter replacing McCalman.

By the way McCalman looks a good buy. Big and strong. With plenty of growth left in him. Handy skills and quick too boot. The Force pack is looking good for next year. Exactly what they need to give their backline the advantage. Tell you what with the Tahs, Brumbies and Force packs looking strong and the Reds improving on forward stocks are looking good.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class View Post
    He's only what 17, 18 at most. The chance's of him playing next year is minimal. It's his professional development season. Come 2011 when he gets a full contract he'll be in the 110-115 kg range. And it was Sam Carter replacing McCalman.

By the way McCalman looks a good buy. Big and strong. With plenty of growth left in him. Handy skills and quick too boot. The Force pack is looking good for next year. Exactly what they need to give their backline the advantage. Tell you what with the Tahs, Brumbies and Force packs looking strong and the Reds improving on forward stocks are looking good.
    One of the things I like about McCalman is that he is built like a 6 or an 8 but he's playing for Uni in the second row. That'll be great for his line-out skills. Very much in the Rocky Elsom mould.

Player
    vCash
    He's a Uni product. And if there is one thing that is always guaranteed to come out of Uni are good fowards. Their entire pack is big, skillful and quick. Makes their backs look a lot better than they actually are.

Rookie
    vCash
    The Force should try and recruit Adam Freier for next year, I think he is contracted with the tahs but I doubt he will play much because Polotoa Nau and Fitzpatrick are ahead of him. Fitzpatrick also has the advantage of being able to play as a blind side breakaway if needed which means Freier will not be used very much, he would be a perfect fit for the Force I reckon.
    Went to Rat Park yesterday to watch the Rats play the Pirates, most of the Force guys went well, Haig Sare and Pek Cowan both had really good games with Holmes, Sheehan and Harris all playing well. The Rats did not play great as team but Sheehan and Harris's experience at 9 and 10 was very important to the victory.

vCash
    UNI make great forwards.... the Students Big Jerry Yanuyanutawa scored 10 tries in last years shute shield..... And got a Rookie contract at the Brumbies... He is an absolute handful this guy...

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    a canberra winter will soon sort him out

vCash
    That's great. On the little I saw of the schools championships on Fox, I hope they are putting a priority on getting Kyle Godwin into the academy as well. Hate to see the Australian Schools flyhalf heading east for a shot.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    a canberra winter will soon sort him out
    He's tough... he's already had year down in Mountains...

vCash
    He's tough... he's already had year down in Mountains...
    It's the apathy that will set in soon!

C'mon the

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast