Thread: Stink over All-Black ink

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Stink over All-Black ink

The West Australian October 28, 2009, 5:27 pm

Their array of body ink is well known, but some All Blacks have discovered their extensive tattoos aren't so well received in Japan this week as they prepare for the Bledisloe Cup clash with the Wallabies on Saturday.

The All Blacks' pool sessions in Tokyo have revealed the quirky sight of most players in the 33-man squad wearing their techfit training vests to cover their arms and torsos, complete with swimming caps.

It's a mark of respect to Japanese culture which frowns upon the displaying of tattoos, which traditionally associates a person with the yakuza, or Japanese mafia, who are heavily tattooed.

The All Blacks were quietly tipped off about the cultural requirements before they took to the water for the first time here on Monday.

"Most people know that when you go to the pool in Japan you have to cover up," a team spokesman said.

"The players were reminded when we arrived."

Some onsen, or Japanese public baths, still refuse people entry if they have visible tattoos, while others require visitors to cover their inkwork with bandages.

The latter have been an onerous task for the likes of Wellington schoolboy mates Ma'a Nonu and Neemia Tialata who each have a large image of the crucifixion inked on their backs and other tattoos on their arms.

Nonu explained earlier this year they were a sign of respect for his family and where he grew up and "a reminder to stay humble".

Jerome Kaino has a tattoo which was inked over several three-hour sessions, starting on his shoulder then snaking down his rib cage.

It was a special design from his family's village in American Samoa

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...all-black-ink/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    I am loving these, small interesting pieces of journalism...

Go the west for publishing articles that A) they really dont have too, B) aren't full of dribble, and C) aren't bagging out the wallabies or talking shit.

I wonder if rugbyWA have a new media manager that is helping to feed the paper articles?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    I wonder if rugbyWA have a new media manager that is helping to feed the paper articles?
    Crispin Roberts has been the Media Officer since 2006. He is the only Media & Communications contact at RugbyWA since Mick Earsman left the club. I hope he is given the opportunity to carry out the role. Good luck mate

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Interesting on tats, a Fijian recently told me that while Samoans (and I think he said Tongans) are tattooed without social implications, in Fiji (as with Japan by the sounds) "only criminals" have tattoo's.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Bizarre. there's a nearly identical piece on SMH site about Digby Ioane having to do likewise.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wallabies winger not happy with cover-up

October 29, 2009 - 7:52PM

Wallabies winger Digby Ioane says it is "sad" and "weird" that he and teammates have to cover up their tattoos in parts of Tokyo because of cultural differences.

Like many players in the All Blacks ranks have also learned this week ahead of Saturday's Bledisloe Cup Test, body ink is not well received in Japan.

The All Blacks' pool sessions in Tokyo have revealed the quirky sight of most players in the 33-man squad wearing their techfit training vests to cover their arms and torsos, complete with swimming caps.

It is a mark of respect to Japanese culture which frowns upon the displaying of tattoos, which traditionally associates a person with the yakuza, or Japanese mafia, who are heavily tattooed.

Ioane said the Wallabies had been tipped off before leaving Australia that they too would have to cover up in some public places in Japan.

"I'm a religious person and none of my tattoos represent like gangsters or anything," he told AAP on Thursday.

"So it's a bit sad where it's really important that you've got to cover it up for some people, because I think people will judge you by your tattoos on your body.

"I don't know, it's a bit crazy. Back in Australia, we were talking about it and I thought it was a joke. But it's pretty serious, I guess."

Ioane said fortunately the Wallabies were able to use the gym at Japanese club Ricoh Black Rams, where former Australian Test great Stephen Larkham is among the stars.

"Because half the team's got tattoos, I guess," he said.

"A lot of the boys were teasing me about my tattoo on my neck - I've got to tape it up. But lucky for Ricoh, they helped us with the gym so we don't have to cover them up.

"It's a bit weird over here, but we've just got to move on from that."

Wallabies team manager Phil Thomson said the players would not be asked to cover their tattoos during Saturday night's Bledisloe Cup Test at Tokyo's National Stadium.

© 2009 AAP

http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/break...1029-hnko.html

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    If I was Digby I'd cover up. Those angel wing tattoos are fairly lame.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Geez, good thing Digby didn't end up moving there - he'd probably find it "sad" and "weird" that they don't speak English!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Geez, good thing Digby didn't end up moving there - he'd probably find it "sad" and "weird" that they don't speak English!
    Whats Japanese for "if you don't like it, leave"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    don' それのようなt許可

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Every body wang chung tonight

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Digby Ioane, the new Australian Ambassador to Japan

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Just don't mention the war!
    ....or Sandakan, Ambon, Changi, Nangking, any of the fine railways in Burma.