Thread: Matt Giteau must find his way back to form to help the Wallabies on the end of their

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Matt Giteau must find his way back to form to help the Wallabies on the end of their

MATT Giteau has gone into 77 Tests determined to win a contest. He goes into his 78th Test on Sunday trying to win back a country.

There is no question that Australians have turned on their once-favourite son, though not because of his shocker against Scotland, in particular his unconvincing shot at the conversion that would have won the match. The greatest players have their off days. Even Donald Bradman was dismissed for Test ducks, seven of them from memory.

No, Australians have turned on Giteau not so much because of a performance but because of a photograph. No longer is their image of him one of him flashing that trademark cheeky grin, mischief written all over a boyish face.

Now when Australians think of him, the image that comes to mind is the one captured by a press photographer in Sydney last month just after Giteau had been passed over for the Wallabies vice-captaincy. It shows him leaning sullenly against a post, arms folded aggressively, petulant look on his face, while to his left the man who had passed him over, Wallabies coach Robbie Deans stands head down, dejectedly studying the ground.

With the click of a shutter, Giteau was frozen in memory in that moment, in that unflattering, surly pose. In that moment, the country turned on him.

He ceased being Australia's most dangerous attacking player and became, instead, Australia's most overpaid sook, an egotist out of all control. He was scheming to bring down the coach and generally destabilising the Wallabies.

When he took the ball to the line and got hammered, as happened against England, he was selfish. When he took the ball to the line and skipped straight through, as happened against Ireland, he was stupid for not diving for the tryline earlier.

Where once he ghosted, now he crabs sideways, cramping his outside backs for room. Where last season he averaged 85 per cent with his goalkicking, now he has become a liability, barely managing 72 per cent. And yes, technically he is the highest Test points-scorer in world rugby this year but that's only because Jonny Wilkinson and Dan Carter made late starts to the season and Springbok coach Peter de Villiers took forever to recognise what a goalkicking robot he has in Agent Hymie, Morne Steyn.

Yet for a player who has undergone such a profound change in such a short time in the collective mind of the Australian public, Giteau remained remarkably unchanged in his behaviour on the Wallabies spring tour.

Indeed, after he steered Australia to victory over England at Twickenham, stories even began to appear in the press that he was back to his old self. He even started teasing Rocky Elsom at press conferences.

Of course, that was all before the Wallabies threw away two Grand Slam Test victories within the space of a week.

Still, he didn't duck the Australian media after the Scotland Test as many others would have done, instead fronting up to answer some awkward questions.
    Even then, it was tricky. He looked disappointed but should he have been distraught? Even his facial expressions were being analysed, and he knew it.

This is all utterly unfamiliar territory for the former pin-up boy of Australian rugby. It's his spontaneity that makes Giteau the player he is. The moment he becomes self-conscious and starts to doubt himself, he ceases to be as dangerous. That was evident with that line break at Croke Park where he stepped straight past Ronan O'Gara.

The Giteau of old would have been lairising and swan diving over for the try before the cover defence even woke to the danger. The Giteau of today looked over his left shoulder, saw only Benn Robinson in support, debated whether to pass him the ball but then kept going, giving Ireland fullback Rob Kearney just enough time to cut him down before he could launch his dive.

Had that try been scored, the Wallabies would be playing for the Grand Slam at Millennium Stadium with Giteau the man of the hour. But it wasn't and they aren't and he isn't and that's the way it is these days for the Wallabies and their newly maligned playmaker.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225804386970

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Sorry Wayne. my opinion of Gits didn't change with that photograph. it changed when he
    a) lead a player uprising against John Mitchell
    b) pissed the Force around for months about moving to the Brumbies, cramping any hope they had of signing other pleayers HE wanted to follow him
    c) was steadily unerperfoming in the position for the Force

I hope he realises the error of his ways soon and stops being the sook which, until that photo he had managed to hide from the media.........he's still hiding it from the Canberra media apparently

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Sorry Wayne. my opinion of Gits didn't change with that photograph. it changed when he
    b) pissed the Force around for months about moving to the Brumbies, cramping any hope they had of signing other pleayers HE wanted to follow him

I hope he realises the error of his ways soon and stops being the sook which, until that photo he had managed to hide from the media.........he's still hiding it from the Canberra media apparently
    my thoughts exactly

vCash
    Thanks Pete, I knew I wasn't alone!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Ditto, though good to see others catching up and reading more than the ARU/Brumby media release version of events.
    Personally I wish him no harm in pulling his head out of his arse.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

Don't worry Gigsy he'll be happy back in his home province. The sook tag is just a media beat up... However if you're right John Mitchell should have let Giteau go back to the Brumbies this year as he wished... And to your advantage, I guess since he was under performing at the Force in 2009 we will see the Force do better than mid table in 2010?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Don't worry Gigsy he'll be happy back in his home province. The sook tag is just a media beat up... However if you're right John Mitchell should have let Giteau go back to the Brumbies this year as he wished... And to your advantage, I guess since he was under performing at the Force in 2009 we will see the Force do better than mid table in 2010?

If you wanna troll that pond go right ahead....I actually think the Force will improve quite a bit next year...I suspect, despite their purchasing frenzy the Brumbies will fade.

We'll find out what it takes to win Super 14 matches in February......can a committed group of team players match it with an expensive bunch of mercenary individuals?....I've not played rugby before, but I've coached enough junior rugby to think the team will beat the money every day of the week and twice on sundays!

C'mon the

vCash
    the mercenary question was answered by the Force over the past couple of seasons... thats fait accompli

Brumbies didn't have any problems signing players... Hey and they've got 3 hookers... no frenzy required... Giteau wanted to come a year earlier and signed when he got the chance, the Force didn't offer Valentine a deal so he moved on and took the Brumbies offer and Rocky called Andy Friend and signed with the Brumbies following week. All the other young guys were as keen a mustard to get an opportunity with the 2 time champs... or re-signed and wanted to be apart of the new Brumbies...

I pleased you think the Force will improve. Frenzy is a western word, Gigsy...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Giteau will have an average season. He wants to be in France on a $2 million a year contract.

The Force on the other hand have been good in previous years but now their have undeniably Australia's best lock and Australia's best openside flanker. Add to that a much more steady front row than last year and 2 wallaby backrowers. Even though we won the last two times we've played the Brumbies we haven't been nearly as competitive in the forwards as we are now.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Giteau will have an average season. He wants to be in France on a $2 million a year contract.

The Force on the other hand have been good in previous years but now their have undeniably Australia's best lock and Australia's best openside flanker. Add to that a much more steady front row than last year and 2 wallaby backrowers. Even though we won the last two times we've played the Brumbies we haven't been nearly as competitive in the forwards as we are now.
    We'll come Feb...

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    We'll come Feb...
    well come february muddy,two things are a certaincy
    1) you wont watch your beloved brumbies in perth
    2) you wont watch them in Canberra either

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    well come february muddy,two things are a certaincy
    1) you wont watch your beloved brumbies in perth
    2) you wont watch them in Canberra either
    he's unlikely to watch them in Sydney as well, when they are playing there against the Tahds.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Veteran
    vCash
    i have to say, sydney blows... traffic and road network is shite... I went there 6 years ago as a naive 18 year old, and thought the traffic was shit, then later i thought that maybe i was imagining things, cause traffic can get pretty shitty along stirling highway.

I was there for work for 3 weeks, got back a week ago, and i was correct, the traffic is shit, every 20m is a traffic light with five fricken streets coming off it...

thanks for your time

:endrant:

vCash
    I think it's the form slump he have to have.
    If he's got the minerals he'll be back and firing from round 2 next year.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    The Giteau of old would have been lairising and swan diving over for the try before the cover defence even woke to the danger. The Giteau of today looked over his left shoulder, saw only Benn Robinson in support, debated whether to pass him the ball but then kept going, giving Ireland fullback Rob Kearney just enough time to cut him down before he could launch his dive.

Had that try been scored, the Wallabies would be playing for the Grand Slam at Millennium Stadium with Giteau the man of the hour. But it wasn't and they aren't and he isn't and that's the way it is these days for the Wallabies and their newly maligned playmaker.
    Excuse me!

Just happy to be here