Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Battered Force search for playmaker

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm also a big supporter of Shep however, it won't surprise me if he heads off.
    It will probably be used as "further evidence" by the doomsayers, but in reality it will be about getting a lucrative contract while he still has value.
    Retirement is a long time.

With the others, as with Giggity, the only one that woud really upset me is Bam and I think we are pretty safe there.
    I doubt Swanepoel, DHP, Longbottom and Tyrrell are going anywhere and Jones is so far a long term project.

CO'Y should be looking to Melbourne, with a starter and two juniors either side of him here, he could quite easily be fighting for a bit of pine by next season.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Would Brock James be willing to come back? Heard he had a cracker last season, is that true?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A great season for sure, he's on top dollar over there now which would be one count against his return and an unsure status as to how he felt about leaving/not being recontracted.
    In all fairly remote, would be entirely on his desire for a Wallaby jersey before retirement.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    ...our players off contract this year are:

Sam Harris
    Stefano Hunt
    Luke Jones
    Chris O'Young
    David Pocock
    Cameron Shepherd
    Mark Swanepoel

And I have no information regarding (although I find it very unlikely the latter three would leave):

Josh Tatupu
    DHP
    Kieran Longbottom
    Ryan Tyrrell
    Is that it - I had the impression we had a big list coming off contract?

As noted, Pocock is the obvious big signing. But I would also be pretty upset if Shep left. For mine he is by far the most dangerous finisher in Australia and the one consolation in his injury is that it is unrelated to the previous issues. It is nasty but I've not heard of quads being a recurring problem for him so, if it is somehow indicative that his body is bust, I guess the Wallabies better start looking for someone to replace our incumbent 10 too - same injury.

Of the others:
    Harris and O'Young are established players and will stay or go based on opportunities and performance.

I would have said Hunt, Jones and Swanepoel are development players and they will stay or go based on the path they can see ahead of them. That said, if I were the father of an 18 year old ex-schoolboy thrown with almost no preparation into a starting S14 flyhalf role, I would probably question whether his wellbeing was being protected and would probably encourage him to move. They didn't even do that with O'Connor or Pocock.

Tatupu, DHP, Longbottom and Tyrrell are players probably reaching the end of the development path and will stay or go based on the opportunity for game time. What might be offered to Tatupu and DHP will depend to some extent on what happens this year. Tyrell will be trying to break into regular game time with the Force this year and, if he does, is unlikely to be leaving. If he doesn't, he probably wouldn't have the opportunity, other than maybe to start over as a development player somewhere else. Longbottom though is stuck behind a number of other players and maybe a bit of a coin toss - biggest hurdle might be East Coast attitude deciding that no forward from the West would be worth it over a development player from Sydney/Brisbane...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    To my mind that last line is a key Andy, though Melbourne may not be as picky.
    Dunning is 32 this year and 33 just after the World Cup, I wouldn't be surprised if he is on his last SH contract, so that would give hope to Longbottom I'd imagine.
    The Force have given Fairbrother an International lifeline so I would expect some loyalty there but not so sure with Henderson, so there are opportunities ahead for Props, especially if Pek stays at Hooker.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    True, and I wouldn't be that surprised if Dunning were on Melbourne's radar too. More than anything they need the credibility that recognisable names would give and my understanding was that Dunning was kind of doing the commuting thing. He isn't based here, he managed to achieve the primary objective of getting back into the Wallabies squad last year, so unless he develops close bonds here and/or sees a huge opportunity here based on this years results....

Player
    vCash
    If the Jap season is over they should get Tai back in a consultancy role for the hookers.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    We don't have to worry too much about props in the long run. As far as I know, Fairbrother signed a 3 year deal. Besides we have Longbottom, Cruze Ah-Nau will be coming through (will make a great 5th prop) and then Siliva Siliva and Oliver Hoskins a couple of years down the track. The two big areas where Australia (and the WA academy too) are a bit light on are with inside backs and locks.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    If the Jap season is over they should get Tai back in a consultancy role for the hookers.
    or Action Hardcore....if you know what I mean

GRAB YOUR MATE!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    My mail has Spanner penciled in for Chiefs match
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Woot woot!!!
    Good stuff TIF, I just did a little jig around the room...ok, I didn't even stand up, but I am excited to hear it
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Add my mental jig to Burgs'

The mail man was right again

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2