Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Referee binned after Tahs error

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember View Post

Seriously though, it was a terrible decision by the Ref, but the Sharks didn't do all that much to win this one.
    Terrible decision not to award the try or in calling it deliberate in the first place?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I've since seen the replays.... Beale was the only Tah that was within 20 metres of Kankowski and he is the fastest forward in the Comp.. if not the world.
    The pass was flat and directly to the no8's chest and Beale was not in any way near enough to catch that ball.. it was however his only option as he was caught in no mans land between the two players.
    It was a professional foul regardless if he was trying to catch it or not.. the Try was "likely" and therefore the ref was obliged to award the 5 points as due.
    The ref got it wrong.. look at it this way.. would the try have been awarded if the Sharks were playing at home and a South African was reffing? I'd say its more than likely!.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Terrible decision not to award the try or in calling it deliberate in the first place?
    Not to award the try.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    It was a professional foul regardless if he was trying to catch it or not..
    That's not how the law applies, at least as I understand it. Otherwise every failed intercept attempt that results in the ball being knocked forward is a penalty.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Is a penalty awarded for someone attempting an intercept at any time or just when the ball is knocked down deliberately?

That's not how the law applies, at least as I understand it. Otherwise every failed intercept attempt that results in the ball being knocked forward is a penalty.
    Thats what I was hinting at above

Senior Player
    vCash
    Any system which increases the accountability of the refs is great. Though like players, they are only human, players get sanctioned for gross errors of judgement and costly mistakes (by, for example, being dragged from the field or dropped). The fact is that in this era of professional sport, margins between winning and losing are small. Though the variable of the referee is all part of the intrigue of the game, we need consistency in refereeing, and stamping out of glaring mistakes which can mean the difference between a team having a successful season or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    The pass was flat and directly to the no8's chest and Beale was not in any way near enough to catch that ball..
    Not a clean catch, granted. There's no law that says it has to be. He got a hand to it. Had the Tahs been 4 points behind and he'd knocked it up in the air, dragged it in and run 70m to score, the try may well have been given..........and I'd still be wondering whether he knocked it forward deliberately to his own advantage.

Veteran
    vCash
    i had a look, mind you a quick one, and i didn't think it looked like a deliberate knock down. i'll have a closer look tonigh if i remember, but i didnt think it looked too bad...

vCash
    It could of gone either way, probably leave it at that.

The main thing is, for a ref to "ruin/rob" a team of victory. He would have to be in the situation to do so first. Basically if you have to rely on one sole refereeing decision in the 77th minute to win a game your not doing enough to win. So you just have to take whatever call is given and admit you could of done better.

Or just complain.

vCash
    Not a clean catch, granted. There's no law that says it has to be. He got a hand to it. Had the Tahs been 4 points behind and he'd knocked it up in the air, dragged it in and run 70m to score, the try may well have been given..........and I'd still be wondering whether he knocked it forward deliberately to his own advantage.
    there's absolutely nothing in law to stop a player knocking the ball forward in any situation and then regathering it before it touches the ground or anybody else.

C'mon the

vCash
    Paul Marks is touchie for the Brumbies v Sharks game!!! He's already made a couple of dodgy calls against the Sharks. I bet they can't wait to get back to South Africa.

BRING BACK NEUTRAL OFFICIALS!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    there's absolutely nothing in law to stop a player knocking the ball forward in any situation and then regathering it before it touches the ground or anybody else.
    Well I think there actually is GIGS. But it's more referred to as a "throw forward" and IIRC it was to stop this practise that thr law was introduced in the first place......

Note:-
    (i)
    A pass, throw or knock-on should not be adjudged an infringement unless it is clearly so under the Law. If there is any doubt, play should be allowed to proceed.
    (1)
    The knock-on or throw-forward must not be intentional.

from LAW 17. KNOCK-ON OR THROW-FORWARD

Clear intent was not there in Beal's case IMO. Can't believe I'm defending a Tah.

vCash
    But that doesn't stipulate whether it's to yourself or to a team-mate. You certainly used to be able to 'knock-on to your own advantage'.

Ecky?

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    But that doesn't stipulate whether it's to yourself or to a team-mate. You certainly used to be able to 'knock-on to your own advantage'.

Ecky?
    Hmmmmm? What? Me?

I was in a pub in Bangkok, keeping one eye on the game and one eye one the people I was with. My first reaction was penalty try. I actually thought that was what happened as I was called up to the pool table right at that moment.

Back in Aus tomorrow, so I imagine I'll see it at some stage.

General observation: you have to be looking like you are trying to catch the ball. He did not look like that - just sticking one hand out to stop the bloke catching it.

More later - if I see it in replay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2