Thread: Giteau ready for duel with Cooper

vCash

Thumbs up Giteau ready for duel with Cooper

Matt Giteau says he goes into his duel with Queensland Reds superstar Quade Cooper confident he can come out on top.

Giteau will return to the ACT Brumbies line-up this weekend wearing the No.10 jersey after missing last weekend's game against the Cape Town Stormers through illness.

He's pledged to be at 100 per cent health by kick-off at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday and he'll need to be against Wallabies flyhalf Cooper, who has been in superb form for the competition leaders.

"Defensively [opposing Cooper] is a big challenge. I've played him a few times and I've won a few of those so I go into the game quite confident I'll be able to do the job," Giteau said.

While Cooper has now comfortably eclipsed Giteau as the candidate to be Australia's pivot at the World Cup, Giteau can remind selectors of his value to the World Cup squad, especially as the inside-centre position is still up for grabs.

Giteau has played courageously throughout the Brumbies' nightmare season, which won't have gone unnoticed by Test coach Robbie Deans.

Giteau said he wasn't thinking beyond the next three games and wasn't concerned about playing at flyhalf when his best hope of selection was at inside-centre.

"I'm all about getting the Brumbies in the right spot and getting us winning, that's been my sole focus," Giteau said.

"I've played a number of years at the Wallabies and you'd like to think the coaches will know what you're capable of doing."

Since the Reds came to Canberra in March and Cooper kicked them to a historic first win 31-25, Queensland has continued to prove itself as an authentic title contender.

Giteau said the Reds' greatest strength was at the breakdown, although the loss of flanker Beau Robinson, who dislocated his elbow against the Canterbury Crusaders last weekend, is a blow. Flanker Liam Gill is being rushed back from the under-20s world championship in Italy to replace Robinson.

"Their breakdown is really good. They're getting quick ball and when you're getting front-foot ball it's easier to play off," Giteau said.

"When you're able to give guys like [Will] Genia, Cooper and Ant Faingaa that go-forward ball they're going to hurt any side. It's something we've focused on. We know what we're facing and we've got to be good enough to stop it."

The Brumbies will be given little hope by pundits and bookmakers of upsetting the Reds. In a poll on The Canberra Times website yesterday only 12 per cent thought the Brumbies could win.

But Giteau was quick to point out that while the Reds won their last encounter, the Brumbies were able to secure a four-try bonus point.

If they could find some of that attacking form which has been so sadly lacking, and combine it with the excellent defensive performance they put in against the Cape Town Stormers, Giteau believed the result could go their way.

"I thought defensively we were really good and the commitment again was really good, but again our execution needs to improve. We'll get limited opportunities against the Reds and when we do we've got to take them."

Saturday will most likely be Giteau's last derby against the Reds as he takes up a contract with Toulon next year.

He has kept the door ajar for a return in 18 months' time after the 2013 season, but said he hadn't discussed that possibility with incoming coach Jake White.

"I'm approaching it as if it's my last few games, purely because I don't know how much I'll be enjoying it over there.

"If I do enjoy it and I don't really have what it takes, I'm not going to burden the Brumbies and try to come back and bluff my way through. If I still feel like I'm playing some great rugby and feel I've got a bit to offer, then sure I'd like to come back."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...#ixzz1O1IdTU3W

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by mudskipper; 01-06-11 at 18:53.

vCash
    Giteau back to 10?

Brumbies will be ineffective and get belted

Reds by 30

Controversy corner

vCash
    by 12

vCash
    Reds to slip in a try after the bell. They will be suffering a big let down after the intensity of Sunday's build up and clash with the 'saders. This week will be an anti clamax.
    I expect them to be off key for a while, with the Brumbies constantly imploding to keep the Reds in the game.
    Finally in a fitting finale, the Brumbies will conjure up a colossal clusterfcuk enabling them to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

vCash
    Fair call... there wasn't much in it at the last encounter. But Reds should take the points... The Reds need the points to hang on to the home semi...