11 theforceguy 274
    12 Souths 272
    13 eleypinkbit 260
    14 Tough at the Top 255
    15 Hansie 174

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    I must concede Rumour is right. Pally did have the week off prior to the GF in 2009 because Cott beat us the weak before - actually in all sincerity I will say we lost the darn game against Cott. A try we thought we had scored was disallowed and Cott kicked long and hard from the 22, caught us napping and scored and then in a later play we took a quick line out throw in a woeful position.

Anyway, the subject regarding professional players needs to be debated and resolved as much as possible.

I don't think anyone would object to K-Bomb lining up for Rocky, but what about Justin Turner for Soaks and Chucky for Pally?

Much of this thread started with bagging Cott, ostensibly for their rush to sign up the professional players for their club to win as many games as possible.

This has resulted in many dissallusioned Cott players being bumped for the EWF players. Some have gone to other clubs, some have dropped down a grade and worse still - some have been lost to Rugby.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    The irony of that 2009 semi was that the Cottesloe player who kicked long out of their 22 and led to their match winning try was the same chap (Ra?) that recently defected from Cott to us!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie
    Much of this thread started with bagging Cott, ostensibly for their rush to sign up the professional players for their club to win as many games as possible.

This has resulted in many dissallusioned Cott players being bumped for the EWF players. Some have gone to other clubs, some have dropped down a grade and worse still - some have been lost to Rugby.
    Hmm - Cott in a rush to sign Pro Players?? with the sentiment here re the Cott coach and set up (ostensibly made from ex Cott players) its seems weird that all of these Pro players would head there.

Regardless of the club, for the last few years we have all complained that the Force guys head over East at this stage of the season and give nothing to the local comp yet when a few do stay we bitch that they are harming the local comp and local players are getting disillusioned. You cant have it both ways and frankly Hansie's sincere (mean that) ideal of running them off the bench is a little naive. Its fine during the season when they can't train with the team but what about now. They are part of the club and hence if they train why cant they play? I don't get this "participation not winning" business. From the passion in this thread, it seems that winning is the big thing. As long as you do not cheat and play ineligible players, what is the problem. It happens the world over so why is WA any different? Paly brought in the WunderKind at fullback last year for the last few games - did anyone bitch about that.. he was awesome, not pro I get but still a superb player and won them a heap of games in the later part of the season. Why are the Force players any different if they comply with club selection rules re training etc.

If you are good enough then pick the best team and stop looking for excuses. One man makes a team? Not from the thoughts expressed here. Rocky should beat Cott, with or without JOC....

Senior Player
    vCash
    "Paly brought in the WunderKind at fullback last year for the last few games - did anyone bitch about that.. he was awesome, not pro I get but still a superb player and won them a heap of games in the later part of the season"

Correction: It was Kala who bought the full back in for the last half a dozen games.

You're right; he was an awesome player. So awesome that he turned down $10K reportedly to play for Wanneroo and headed for the mines with a bunch of his kiwi mates.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Yeah it was Kala - RM you obviously a bit confused as Tane Puki is still in Perth and did play for Wanneroo when he did his ACL against Cott - he had his operation 3 weeks ago and is currently doing rehab every Tuesday and Thursday at the club.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Just a reminder, and for the sake of accuracy.

Stannard arrived in WA in either late 2005 or very early 2006 from Queensland club rugby to play for Palmyra.

At that time the Force did not have a team in place, let alone an Academy and the Force had nothing whatsoever to do with bringing him here.

He was not involved with the Force in any way in 2006 and played the entire year in club rugby for Palmyra. He won the Hampshire medal that year.

In 2007 the Force took an interest in him, but he continued to play for Palmyra throughout the season..

In 2008 he was part of the Force set up, was released to the Brumbies in 2009, and returned to the Force at the end of 2010.

In 2008 he played two games for UWA.

In 2011 he rejoined Palmyra and played one game for them up to now.

He was a Palmyra player, and previously a Souths (Brisbane) player before he became a Super franchise player.

In my view that puts him in the same position as Longbottom in so far as club affiliation is concerned vis a vis playing club rugby in WA.

Champion
    vCash
    Fulvio - great starting point.

So...Are you saying someone like Pek Cowan who came to Force in 1st year, never made starting team, came to Neddies and has been with us ever since but played rarely for our club in last 2 - 3 years as he has started with Force, then gone to Wallabies training. There is a chance he may miss out on Wallabies this year and has asked if he could play at Neddies since this is now his home and he has no desire to play in Sydney unless EWF tell him to. Would you mind if he plays with us perhaps off the bench?

He has been to our club many times, helping our coaches and also supporting the boys from the sidelines.

vCash
    Force players go to Cott, cos they live that way and the Cott alikdoo's think they've done a good job by creating a 'club'. I wander what the handshake is ... I really hope Rocky bring them down ...

Player
    vCash
    [/QUOTE]Correction: It was Kala who bought the full back in for the last half a dozen games.
    [/QUOTE]

I stand corrected - you are absolutely right... bloody amazing talent whoever he played for

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I think rather than Cowan, who had no affiliation with any WA club before he was contracted by the Force, a better example would be Dan Bailey.

He is a product of Nedlands, no questions,asked and he should be playing for them.

But the issue for me is not that they are Force players, but that they are being paid to play by RugbyWA, and the money that pays them belongs to RugbyWA, that is, is owned equally by all the clubs. Why should only one or two clubs benefit enormously at the expense of the other eight or nine? Would these players be in WA but for the money?

If they weren't being paid to play for Cottesloe, or whoever, with my club's money and yours, I wouldn't have a problem, however good they are.

It's the fact that these players only play for Cottesloe because they are paid to be here by you and me, and are not being allocated fairly, number wise, between ALL clubs, that creates the problem.

When players are paid, they lose the right to pick and chose where or how they play. That is the employers decision, and the employer must satisfy all it's shareholders, not just the chosen one or two.

Anyway I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, and as far as RugbyWA is concerned, I'm preaching to those who have no moral or ethical compass sufficient to understand the concept of fairness.

Champion
    vCash
    Fulvio - fair comment,

My understanding is that RugbyWA can recommend they go to a specific club, even though they are the employer, they cannot dictate. Somehow RUPA gives players the right to tell their employer which club they should play for.

Frankly I am of the opinion the whole link between community and the EWF needs a good look at.

You have professional players - head to a cushy club where their mates are and where they get paid to cook a few sausages and maybe shake hands with a few members, pose for photos etc. All they are asked to do is show up on Saturday for a trundle in premier grade.

How do community coaches know what areas/skills to work on that allows the pro player to maintain some form?

Pro players should have to do as much around the club as ordinary members - e.g clean up equipment after training if their team is rostered to do so. Set up game day field, sell raffle tickets, help in the kitchen - that's what an amateur club is all about.

I wonder how many clubs tell their Pro players that by playing Premier Grade they will be displacing a dedicated club member and perhaps they should start off the bench?

I'd like to see EWF coaches mingle in community rugby a whole more to create a bridge, not just one session but perhaps spend 4 weeks with a club. I'd like to have EWF players ply their trade in our competition, but there does need to be more transparency.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Force players go to Cott, cos they live that way and the Cott alikdoo's think they've done a good job by creating a 'club'. I wander what the handshake is ... I really hope Rocky bring them down ...

So... it's official Dave Cloete - last two year's P.G. Hampshire winner has been dropped for James O'Connor in the game against Rocky.

And Cott wonder why they are near the bottom of the ladder and have less than happy campers in their club.

Rocky will test 9 and 10 combination for Cott and will win.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    So... it's official Dave Cloete - last two year's P.G. Hampshire winner has been dropped for James O'Connor in the game against Rocky.

And Cott wonder why they are near the bottom of the ladder and have less than happy campers in their club.

Rocky will test 9 and 10 combination for Cott and will win.
    Hansie - I think that you will find JOC at 12 with Cloete at 10 - you do like to spread unsubstantiated gossip. I don't think even the Cott coach would be that silly...... but then again......

Champion
    vCash
    Team list on RugbyWA shows JOC at 10. Did not know that RugbyWa was defined as unsubstantiated rumour base.

http://www.westernforce.com.au/Premi...TeamLists.aspx

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast