NICK TAYLOR, NELSON, The West Australian
September 30, 2011, 6:35 am

Reuters ©
Western Force captain Nathan Sharpe will be on a mission when the Wallabies take on Russia in their final World Cup pool game tomorrow.

He knows he has just one chance to prove to coach Robbie Deans that he is the man to partner captain James Horwill in the second row and force his way into the starting side for the knockout stages.

Sharpe was at his towering best in the line-outs in the 67-5 win against the United States and coupled with his work at the restarts, it was a surprise when he did not win the man-of-the-match award.

Australia's most capped second-rower - tomorrow's clash will be his 98th Test appearance - has been dropped twice this year for Tri-Nations matches against the All Blacks.

Sharpe made a storming return in the victory over South Africa to win his place in the 30-man World Cup squad, but Deans preferred Dan Vickerman in the opening games against Italy and Ireland.

Watching from the stands does not sit easily with Sharpe, but neither is he interested in individual honours.

"It's about winning this tournament and the best way I can do that is play the best I can for the team," he said. "That's my motivation each week. Whatever I did last week I want to do this week. It's important for the team.

"It's all about making the most of the big occasion. It's all about winning this weekend."

Sharpe believes the game has changed during the tournament.

"The amount of pressure that's being put on at the breakdown - clean, crisp ball's not being produced ad hoc anymore," he said.

"It's really having to be worked for."

While the Australians should claim a bonus-point win tomorrow, Sharpe said they were not expecting an easy ride.

Having played South Africa and New Zealand so many times over the years, he could "write a book" on how they play.

But the smaller rugby nations like Russia were not so easy to read.

"They should not be underrated. They're bloody difficult teams and have a real crack," he said. "When you play these guys, you've got to adapt on the field. They are unorthodox and we have to scrum the way we want to scrimmage."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...e-fior-sharpe/