Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: How Much Is Cooper Worth to The ARU?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I know I have only been following rugby for about 30 years and don't really know anything about the game, but even from this position of blissful ignorance it seems to me that QC has gone from hero to zero in the space of 18 months and the only person who can be blamed for that is QC himself. Whether through arrogance, greed, poor choice of life coaches, low IQ, gullibility or whatever. He had the world at his feet and, as Normie said, he blew it. Simple as that.

Yes he has raw natural talent, yes he was scintillating as a Super 15 player for the Reds, but he was mercurial, unpredictable and at times downright poor as a Wallaby. Surely even his most ardent fans could not disagree with that, whatever excuses they wish to make for it.

As a simple, old-fashioned fan of the game, the guys I want representing my country are the honest grafters like Sharpe, Moore, Pocock, Hooper, Cummins, who put the game and the jersey before themselves and their egos. I don't want flashy, 'look-at-me' awesomeness. I want honed skills, hard work, 100% effort and humility. I want the Dan Carters, Jonny Wilkinsons and Gareth Delves of this world. Not the Coopers, Ciprianis and Hensons. If that means we lose some games because we don't have that flash of brilliance every now and then, so be it.
    You need both types of players.

Congratulations you've now got the national team you wanted. The Wallabies highlights reel over the next 12 months should reveal some fantastic penalty goals.

I personally would prefer to see sweeping backline movements as well as tight forward clashes. But under Robbie Deans, this is not allowed. If you show any flair, this must be coached out of you at once.

No wonder NRL and AFL laugh at the management of Australian Rugby.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    Unfortunately the ARU, with this stupid and punitive offer, have played right into Nasser's hands.
    the ARU, through this process, have shown themselves to be acting like petulant children also. What hope does rugby have with these clowns at the boardroom table.
    While i do understand your frustration as a Reds fan (especially now that a certain Will G may change his mind yet again without his buddy there to sing the team song next to him), i think you and a lot of others in the media seem to be missing a pretty interesting comparison:

not more than 18 months ago there was another talented Wallaby who found himself on the outer with the coach and selectors. he was dropped from the team, almost left out of the world cup squad and told that essentially he had no place in the team moving forwards.

To further rub salt in the wound, he too was only offered an incentive based ARU top-up contract.

It is from this point that the comparisons end. He didn't throw a hissy fit on social media, didn't go on the news ranting about the state of the game and didn't delay his contract negotiations holding out for a better deal.

What he did do was get on with the task of playing rugby. he applied himself as the faithful understudy for his Super 15 team, and helped get them through one of their darkest seasons. He played his way into top form and contested a wallabies spot, being selected ahead of those who were given full ARU contracts instead of him.

From here he went from strength to strength, winning the John Eales medal, playing just about every minute of every Wallabies game this season, and even gained the captaincy as those around him fell.

That is what i want from my Wallabies. Dedication, grit, determination to be the best, the desire to get back up when you have been knocked down.

Quade could have seen this as a wake up call and come back next year ready to prove to everyone that he deserves the privilege of wearing Wallaby gold. If he is not prepared to do that then i am convinced we are better off without him.

Last edited by Marty_Mcfly; 20-11-12 at 16:31.

vCash
    Sharpe's ARU contract was re- presented I believe. And he wasn't left out of the World Cup.

Or if you were also talking about gits, he DID throw a tantrum on twitter. And has several times since
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Great post Marty

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    You need both types of players.

Congratulations you've now got the national team you wanted. The Wallabies highlights reel over the next 12 months should reveal some fantastic penalty goals..
    At least they will be fantastic penalty goals that'll be kicked by players who are humble, proud & deserve to be wearing that jersey.

I bet they will all be able to tell exactly what colour the jersey it is too!

I don't think you'd be condoning & excusing your boy's behaviour if he didn't play for your club.

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Sharpe's ARU contract was re- presented I believe. And he wasn't left out of the World Cup.
    I certainly remember him being on the outer prior to the WC, and his ARU offer was top-up based but i don't know if it was re-negotiated later.

Anyway, that is really arguing semantics. you seem to have missed my point; anyone can be a superstar legend when times are good, but it is how one handles these kinds of hard situations that maketh the man.

vCash
    Congratulations you've now got the national team you wanted. The Wallabies highlights reel over the next 12 months should reveal some fantastic penalty goals.
    Well if they play like they did against the English on Saturday, that's fine by me!

Last edited by Alison; 20-11-12 at 11:14. Reason: Clarity

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't like the idea of pandering to Gen Y'ers all that much but lets face it - in any workforce, we all have to indulge their egos a bit.
    You are pandering to them. There is no grey area.

vCash
    ...I personally would prefer to see sweeping backline movements as well as tight forward clashes...
    This style of game has nothing to do with Quade Cooper being a tosspot. Larkham orchestrated this style of game, as did Noddy. Neither of them was an idiot.

Quade Cooper has 100% brought this on his own head, or stupidly allowing Khodder Nasser to do it. If link and Carmichael wanted to help Cooper, they should have got him to sack KN and stop pretending to be a gangsta rapper moron.

The suggestion he wants to box is laughable. Seems to be a common trait for KNs boys. The problem is Quade Cooper is a pansy princess who will go to water at the first touch. Mind you it will have record ratings, most of Australia wants to see him get clobbered.

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Unfortunately the ARU, with this stupid and punitive offer, have played right into Nasser's hands.
    Was the ARU supposed to reward him for his idiotic behaviour?

He signed a one year deal thinking his stocks would rise and it backfired horribly, he ran his mouth (well his twitter account) and he has lost out.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Mind you it will have record ratings, most of Australia wants to see him get clobbered.
    I'd pay to see that but KN will probably dig out some fossil of an opponent for him to beat

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    ...Mind you it will have record ratings, most of Australia wants to see him get clobbered.
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    ...I'd pay to see that but KN will probably dig out some fossil of an opponent for him to beat
    I would like to see him box retired fossil Danny Green

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Look I don't support your mob in gold but I like to see them play well for you mob, he's no loss, he's a liability.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    What Peter FitzSimons thinks of it all...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...120-29n39.html

Hear hear!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I'd pay to see that but KN will probably dig out some fossil of an opponent for him to beat
    I will be busy that night

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf1 View Post
    I will be busy that night
    fossil - not dust pops

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast