Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Quade Cooper content to wait out Wallabies coach Robbie Deans

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I think it's a problem if McKenzie's going to automatically pick him when he's the Wallaby coach. It was bad enough when Deans wouldn't sub him off when he was playing shit. Quade has the ability to show marvellous tricks with the ball in his hands throughout his career, but we need actual visible improvement in every other aspect of his game for him to be a consistent steady fly-half. Despite knowing his deficiencies for the last few years, he hasn't addressed them yet. If he did, he wouldn't have been so easy to bottle up against the Force and he would have tackled Piet van Zyl last weekend against the Cheetahs; instead of making him look like Jonah Lomu.
    I have great respect for his attacking flair, maybe we're barking up the wrong tree wanting him to be a test fly-half? Maybe another position in the backs is the way to go, so he can use his natural talents and not be saddled with responsibilities he can't handle. Wing perhaps? An attacking fullback?

Other than that, I think Quade should be told now, two years out, to be focussed on winning us that sevens gold medal at the Rio Olympics in 2016. And if they want to see responsibility, tell him he's going to be the captain.
    I'm not trying to defend QC, but if you look at the tackle closely he was slightly wrong footed and them slipped at the critical moment. Still the weakness of his game. Deans also metioned that QC concedes alot of turn overs with his expansive game, which we as the general public viewer are not aware of.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
    I'm not trying to defend QC, but if you look at the tackle closely he was slightly wrong footed and them slipped at the critical moment. Still the weakness of his game. Deans also metioned that QC concedes alot of turn overs with his expansive game, which we as the general public viewer are not aware of.
    I think his expasive game was on show in Bloem. 4-5 forward passes = a turnover in my book.
    As for the tackle he missed he went in to up right and didnt commit and the got wrong footed. IMO

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I heard that interview yesterday. He was asked by Michael Slater if QC could make the squad. He simply said yes. When pushed on what he needed to do Deans said he needed to ajust a couple of areas of his game. When pushed further he said he needed to get involved in contact. Explained that the thinking is the constant re-alignment of the defensive systems will be anticipated by the Lions' coaches and exploited. I can only agree. It's down to Link. Will he accomodate the national coaches' strategy or depth charge it?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    This is the problem with the debate. Contrary to the crap that Deans has been spewing out, Cooper has actually taken on many of these so called challenges. He does defend in the front line depending on the game plan. He did against the Hurricanes and the Cheetahs. His defence against the Cheetahs was probably his weakest effort this year (in fairness, the whole Reds team was awful, partly because of their butchered travel plans - 40 hours), but he still achieved a 70% completion rate. He has also pulled off many trysavers in other matches and who can forget how he smashed Rene Ranger in a tackle at Suncorp (noting that Deans' golden boy, and "better defender" James O'Connor was turned into a speedbump by Ranger 2 weeks later in Melbourne).

He also does take on the line from time to time, but given his passing and kicking skills, why should he play crashball like Deans seems to want him to do?

He has a high turnover rate, but Moore's is higher - yet no-one questions his selection. Curious, considering that Cooper as a 10, would likely handle the ball 50 times more than Moore would. Cooper also has the highest offload rate in the comp.

Cooper can also kick for goal and is a very good kicker in general play.

All up, Deans' excuses for non-selection have looked more and more desparate and pathetic. To blame Cooper for the poor form of Tapuai is just extraordinary.

Deans clearly doesn't like Cooper and will obviously never select him. This is consistent with the way he played favourites in NZ. The reasons? Probably the twitter silliness last year didn't help. But I believe it is deeper than that. I believe the conflict probably started as far back as RWC when Deans wanted to play his game around McCabe's crash through style. It gave Cooper few options to be creative and to play to his strengths. Mind you, that would have been hard, given how pathetic our forwards were in RWC (yet they never seem to be blamed for their failure there). By picking Horne and Barnes, it is clear what gameplan Deans has in mind for the Lions and it is worrying.

For me, the biggest issue about the non-selection of Cooper is that it shows that Deans is approaching the series from the point of view of how not to lose the series rather than how we can win the series. That defensive and reactionary approach rings alarm bells for me.

I believe the Wallabies will become the Lions' bitches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    I think his expasive game was on show in Bloem. 4-5 forward passes = a turnover in my book.
    As for the tackle he missed he went in to up right and didnt commit and the got wrong footed. IMO
    Some of those calls were pretty crook. Even the SA commentators thought so.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    tend to agree,this is not a world cup final .Cooper is the best attacking 5/8th in the country.Put O'connor at fullback(if Beale is not considered)& let them loose--will make for exciting rugby,that's for sure

Champion
    vCash
    That's the problem BDG when all 3 get together they do cut loose,on the piss

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    let he,who is without sin.....

Champion
    vCash
    I personally don't have an issue with it whatsoever

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    This is the problem with the debate. Contrary to the crap that Deans has been spewing out, Cooper has actually taken on many of these so called challenges. He does defend in the front line depending on the game plan. He did against the Hurricanes and the Cheetahs. His defence against the Cheetahs was probably his weakest effort this year (in fairness, the whole Reds team was awful, partly because of their butchered travel plans - 40 hours), but he still achieved a 70% completion rate. He has also pulled off many trysavers in other matches and who can forget how he smashed Rene Ranger in a tackle at Suncorp (noting that Deans' golden boy, and "better defender" James O'Connor was turned into a speedbump by Ranger 2 weeks later in Melbourne).

He also does take on the line from time to time, but given his passing and kicking skills, why should he play crashball like Deans seems to want him to do?

He has a high turnover rate, but Moore's is higher - yet no-one questions his selection. Curious, considering that Cooper as a 10, would likely handle the ball 50 times more than Moore would. Cooper also has the highest offload rate in the comp.

Cooper can also kick for goal and is a very good kicker in general play.

All up, Deans' excuses for non-selection have looked more and more desparate and pathetic. To blame Cooper for the poor form of Tapuai is just extraordinary.

Deans clearly doesn't like Cooper and will obviously never select him. This is consistent with the way he played favourites in NZ. The reasons? Probably the twitter silliness last year didn't help. But I believe it is deeper than that. I believe the conflict probably started as far back as RWC when Deans wanted to play his game around McCabe's crash through style. It gave Cooper few options to be creative and to play to his strengths. Mind you, that would have been hard, given how pathetic our forwards were in RWC (yet they never seem to be blamed for their failure there). By picking Horne and Barnes, it is clear what gameplan Deans has in mind for the Lions and it is worrying.

For me, the biggest issue about the non-selection of Cooper is that it shows that Deans is approaching the series from the point of view of how not to lose the series rather than how we can win the series. That defensive and reactionary approach rings alarm bells for me.

I believe the Wallabies will become the Lions' bitches.

I think everyone realises that the reason Quade isn't in the squad is because of the toxic environment comments. The arguments made against him might justify not being the first choice 10 but he certainly deserves to be in the squad.

The thing that strikes me is that I cannot think of a single player that I believe has improved because of their exposure to Robbie Deans and the Wallabies squad. Even his pet project players don't seem to return to Super Rugby an improved player. I can however think of several players his influence seems to have been detrimental too.

As I have said before, it's time to shoot the dingo.

vCash
    With regards to moore the reason he has so many turnovers is because as a hooker any ball which his team doesnt win off their own throw at the line out is counted against the hooker.

Be it a crooked throw or a steel or butter fingers from the jumper. Most of the top ten are hookers because of this.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Deans should just put all this nonsense to bed and give comment that he will not pick Cooper because of the disrespect that was shown to himself and the Wallaby playing group when Cooper made his stupid comments on twitter. I think people would accept that.

Deans will be gone after the EOYT anyway and link will be in his place. He just needs to wait him out as reported.

Would like to see Cooper run around in the NRL for a season. Harden his defence up.

vCash
    Cooper will defend in the frontline for the Reds against the Lions.

Deans is playing cat and mouse......to keep a couple of players honest and make them earn selection after some misdemeanors and also to throw the Lions off the scent.

I have a feeling Cooper and Beale will be called into the squad.

Deans should go anyway........unless he beats the Lions 3-0

I am not happy with Deans' game plans or selections. he's killing our rugby

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    With regards to moore the reason he has so many turnovers is because as a hooker any ball which his team doesnt win off their own throw at the line out is counted against the hooker.

Be it a crooked throw or a steel or butter fingers from the jumper. Most of the top ten are hookers because of this.
    I did not know that. I guess it is sort of fair enough - provided the loss is due to a crap throw rather than a piggy fluffing the call or the jump.

Veteran
    vCash
    i don't think beale will get the call up. He isnt even playing at the moment is he?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    i don't think beale will get the call up. He isnt even playing at the moment is he?
    I don't know about that. Russell Fairfax interviewed Deans last weekend. He was first asked if Cooper could make the squad. Deans said yes, if he played well in the next 3 games "he may force our hand". WOW, talk about damning with faint praise. He was then asked if Beale was a chance and he replied "I hope so" subject to rehab blah blah blah.

So he was far more animated about Beale, who is a serious head case who needs to have a year of rehab, than about the form No. 10 in Australia who hurt his feelings last year.

Have a fucking cry Robbie.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast