Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Squad so far

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I wouldn't say definitely. He is probably trying to get the best contract possible. He will probably wait to see if he is in the Wallabies squad against the Lions and if not go to France for the big $$$. Probably the only other franchise that could afford him under the salary cap is the Rebels.
    The reds have a bit of room now since digby is leaving. Wouldn't that be home for him as well?

Shouldn't rob Horne only be getting half the money as any other centre since he only hits the field half the time.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Whilst Horne would be a good fit for TWF, I do not think he is interested in heading West, even as a last resort. Even if he did, he would probably fall into the honey badger camp where he has Aus caps and will be too expensive for our limited budget.

So - if he is a non starter, who is left for the 13 spot. As we can see, there are no current contenders of worth - what next as this has always been our Achilles heal.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Browny has given us years of service since the beginning and for probably not a lot of cash. He'll be 29 next year so who'd begrudge him his super? Hopefully he'll return and play premier grade later.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I wouldn't begrudge him going for a second. Brown has been great this season, but he probably won't wear gold again. He is also the same type of player as a number of our backrowers. Maybe we should focus on keeping Lachie McCaffrey- who could be a future Wallabies 6/8.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I wouldn't begrudge him going for a second. Brown has been great this season, but he probably won't wear gold again. He is also the same type of player as a number of our backrowers. Maybe we should focus on keeping Lachie McCaffrey- who could be a future Wallabies 6/8.
    I notice most people have left the EPS players out of their 2014 squad. Given that pretty well all of them have had very limited playing time but have done nothing wrong when given a chance they would be serious contenders to move to full contracts next year.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Rookie
    vCash
    So after the Highlanders game are we any clearer on who we want to keep? We are yet to see CTM or McCaffrey ( McCaffrey needs a crack at 8). This disappoints me as we have guys sitting on the sidelines who with a chance may go gangbusters ( a la Cottrell) and we will need some serious forward replacements sooner rather than later.
    Now onto our backline. Several times we saw the ball go from one side of the field to the other but the ball skills were average, not what you would expect from an improving S15 team. And then when we had an over lap our 13 got smashed before he could pass it or even flick it on.
    So looking at the crystal ball, Besides locks we need a 13 and maybe another wing. May I also suggest a junior # 7 to understudy Alcock and Hodgo. the reason I say that is Hodgo is getting older( not over the hill) and we rely on Alcock and if he goes down, who do we have.
    In addition, young Kyle needs people to trail him. he sniffs a gap but as we saw he was left standing with no help. What he also needs during the off season is a "tactical kicking" coach. Show me one current player that can kick tactically - OK SNK but he is a fill in not an up and coming.

Rookie
    vCash
    I would also throw in another hooker. Tessman has a great work rate but his throwing is suspect. Any thoughts ?

vCash
    Boab,

Lockyer McCaffrey is sitting behind 5 other to rank backrowers this season. When the other 4 are fit, Gus Cotterell struggles for time, something will have to give there. Rumour has is Brown Dog's off, so Locky will get. Ore chances.

Agree re the 13, we've looked at several options this season and not found the right one yet, so the centres defo need some work. Even a backup 12 to take some pressure off Kyle would be important.

The Outside backs looks good enough as long as we keep all the ones we want, losing Cummins and replacing him with Morahan really only keeps us even stevens, that's not good enough, either Stubbs and Rasolea need to be developed into genuine options (I would be keen to see Rasolea get up to the standard, since he can play both 13 and wing. He would be a good utility option for the bench. With Zac and Kyle in the team, along with a crafty fullback, I'll bet there will be plenty to run off Kyle, we just need to see them develop. I really think our backline has been cruelled by the quality of our tens this year. Ebersohn is too scared to run at the line, Christie can't kick and Norton Knight is too old to be a long term option. We need Zac Holmes here ASAP and see what develops from that.

Locks are the other area where we need some help!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boab View Post
    I would also throw in another hooker. Tessman has a great work rate but his throwing is suspect. Any thoughts ?
    Heard of Nathan Charles?

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    He'd be good, reckon we can get him?

C'mon the

Veteran
    vCash
    Props: should be set, though i have not been impressed with Pek this year, good scrums, however been dropping the ball in contact more than he should, and the 22 drop out...

Hookers: Heath, Cheese, Ben Whittaker

Locks: Phoenix, MMM, Rory (needs some more time i think, solid but not spectacular yet, haven't seen him have any real hard runs). Then the existing two softer locks, Lynn and Wykes (Who i actually saw get on a forwards hammer and push him into contact last week, only once though!)

So should be three there, but they are young (except MMM)

Back row: Alcock has been awesome, Hodgo has been better at 6, McCalman, McCaffery. Set!

10's: Christie, Sias (Too much kicking, never takes on the line) Holmes (excited dto see what he brings). I think C?hristie should be trying to play at 12/13 on the bench to at least get some game time to improve his skills, though definately not a kicker!

12: Kyle, dunno who else is there, perhaps christie

13: Jacobs has been solid there (and we definately needed an older head in the backline), Junior (Never a 13!! at least not in the next season or so), Stanley (also never), Tupou (not a real big fan), Cummins?? (though the wings would never get the ball...)

Wings: Ed Stubbs (Tough fella) Pat Dellit (has been solid on the wing), Cummins, Junior (where i think he should be, and needs to start to hit line a lot harder)

FB: SNK, Hayward (needs to gain in confidence for counter attack, otherwise i like him there and kicks fairly well)

Also, Ben Jacobs looks evil in his photo on the force website... looks good!

vCash
    Lots of good posts above. The main problem the Force have suffered since 2006, in regards sorting out who are keepers and who to let go, will hopefully be gone from next season on. Next year they will get game time against quality opposition in the "reserve grade" matches and we'll see how they perform.

Even though it's got some lumps, it's a starting point.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Apprentice
    vCash

Rookie
    vCash
    i like the idea of holmes and Godwin as out 10/12 next year ...jacob Kohinga could be our long term 13 .

brad lacey on the wing would be great

let's push through the locals where we can

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    jacob Kohinga could be our long term 13 .
    If the Mungos don't get their hands on him first. Got a foot in both camps @ Kala doesn't he?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast