Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Grand Final Results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyRef View Post
    Ralto,

Why should any EWF player, who plays at the elite level that represents the whole state, need to qualify to play for a lower club team?

Posted via Mobile Device
    EWF players do not represent the state, they're contracted professionals not a selected rep side!

Can you rephrase the "lower club team", bit demeaning. More EWF players playing in and developing the local competition is what we're after ... by getting some qualification rules and sticking to them, there's a element of fairness about it, even though only a few clubs will benefit ...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    Coming at it from another angle would you and the other referees be supportive of flying in say the top 6 referees from Brisbane and Sydney to referee the finals in Perth because they are available and are a better standard than the local referees; to lift the standard of the games?

I think that is the sentiment being expressed in relation to the players / clubs.

Eg if you refereed one of the finals, would you have gladly stepped aside for a better qualified referee from elsewhere to be given your game?

vCash
    As neither a current player or referee I can only comment on your suggestion from an interested bystander point of view Oracle but I would be OK with that. (I think chetubler would go for it too)

At the end of the day, having the professionals involved, in whatever capacity they can mange, is good for the competition. The locals get to see which standard they must aspire to, the professionals get more match fitness, the game gets a promotional boost, kids come to watch the stars, local players get to pit their skills against the pointy end of town. The only real downside I see is that some clubs will use this to gain a competitive advantage on the ladder.

Call me satan, but I see that as a small price to pay and those clubs (Cott in particular) get what they deserve in the community forum by the way they are spoken about.

I was disappointed to hear about Pek's tweet after playing that he was upset about the treatment he got from the crowd and was wondering whether playing locally was worth it. If that were to happen our local club game will stagnate and die purely to serve the interests of particular clubs who only bleat so incessantly because they don't feel they have the same access to the professional player pool.

I think WA clubs need to rally around the cry of building future Wallabies and worry less about the local club flag, otherwise the local club scene will never grow to the point of being a genuine preparation for Super rugby and we'll always lose our best WA players to Sydney clubs (and the ITM cup) for the benefit of their rugby.

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    as a champ 1st grade player for Curtin, this really doesn't affect me. However, if i had to start on the bench in a GF so someone "better" could play instead I would be raging. I think the 3 game rule should be set in stone with no room for maneuver ...if you cant play 3 games during the year you cant play finals...simple, doesn't matter how many excuses you have. if the fringe western force boys want to get involved they can do so without playing in the match. there has got to be better ways of promoting rugby without having to drag 1 or 2 big names for the last week of the comp.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyGOAT View Post
    as a champ 1st grade player for Curtin, this really doesn't affect me. However, if i had to start on the bench in a GF so someone "better" could play instead I would be raging. I think the 3 game rule should be set in stone with no room for maneuver ...if you cant play 3 games during the year you cant play finals...simple, doesn't matter how many excuses you have. if the fringe western force boys want to get involved they can do so without playing in the match. there has got to be better ways of promoting rugby without having to drag 1 or 2 big names for the last week of the comp.
    great match by the way, and what a try!

vCash
    It may have affected you/the team in the instance of your player who was away in the US for his MBA course though, right?

What if he was away for the past 2 months or so but was back in time for the finals (or just the GF)? I appreciate he played 2nds, but I gather he is a "first pick" when available? Would he not have been picked at all if he were away for most of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    great match by the way, and what a try!
    Great game; great try - dodgy hammy

... and that biffo that everyone on the slope saw but neither ref nor AR saw

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    It may have affected you/the team in the instance of your player who was away in the US for his MBA course though, right?

What if he was away for the past 2 months or so but was back in time for the finals (or just the GF)? I appreciate he played 2nds, but I gather he is a "first pick" when available? Would he not have been picked at all if he were away for most of the season?

That was the seconds game. the 1st got a really good pressure try, with one of the locks pushing over the line.

I didn't want to say anything about the refs in the seconds match. there was a lot that was un-understandable, so i didn't attempt to. The Goats captain is a bit too firery and probably helped to get the ref offside. But the punch on the side line with no action taken is a bit far! I guess it was all caught on camera?

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post

not sure what you're trying to get at. in my view if you haven't played enough games you shouldn't play finals. regardless of skill or name. I would quit the club i play for maybe rugby all together if i played 15+ games through a season, part of the reason the team made finals all to be dropped for someone who got bought in for finals. to be honest if you cant manage 3 games during the season you cant say you have contributed enough to the team to warrant a finals position. just my opinion.

vCash
    as a champ 1st grade player for Curtin
    and congrats goats, from the Curtin Uni Properties/Asset Management staff touch team!
    ...of which "coach" Helen said "we have a rugby team?!", we then pointed at the rugby club rooms on the oversized campus map on her cubical wall and said "yes". haha.

oh, interesting fact, as part of the greater curtin (curtin city) design, new club rooms are on the agenda (5-10 year plan!)... mainly because the proposed light rail link (if it goes ahead) will barrel straight through your current club house!

annnnnd... back on topic...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyRef View Post
    Ralto,

Why should any EWF player, who plays at the elite level that represents the whole state, need to qualify to play for a lower club team?
    Again, same argument - I didn't make the rule - Rugby WA did, then they changed it, ask Rugby WA why the rule was there.
    On a personal level, I disagree with your idea that some should not have to do something simply because you designate them as elite, and the rest have to follow a process.
    Should those Western Force players playing for a local Premier team listen to your direction as they view you as an inferior referee.
    Should an IRB referee listen to you if you are the AR, because he sees you as from an inferior
    Respect it really is necessary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
    Coming at it from another angle would you and the other referees be supportive of flying in say the top 6 referees from Brisbane and Sydney to referee the finals in Perth because they are available and are a better standard than the local referees; to lift the standard of the games?

I think that is the sentiment being expressed in relation to the players / clubs.

Eg if you refereed one of the finals, would you have gladly stepped aside for a better qualified referee from elsewhere to be given your game?
    Sorry I posted my reply with similar thoughts, without reading this. Great Minds thinkin' alike.

Veteran
    vCash
    not sure what you're trying to get at. in my view if you haven't played enough games you shouldn't play finals. regardless of skill or name. I would quit the club i play for maybe rugby all together if i played 15+ games through a season, part of the reason the team made finals all to be dropped for someone who got bought in for finals. to be honest if you cant manage 3 games during the season you cant say you have contributed enough to the team to warrant a finals position. just my opinion.
    I am one of those stinkers that got a dispensation to play finals one year. however, i had played two games (i was FIFO and recovering form injury), and it was low grade (as low as it gets). But i would have been quite annoyed if i couldn't play, after being injured playing for the team.

vCash
    I would have thought the same, but from the massive amount of anectdotal evidence it seems Perth Premier players have such low opinions of themselves that they would give up their jumper for just about anyone. From what has been said they love watching finals footy along with us whingeing embittered ne'erdowells, who have never raised a finger to help out.

Player
    vCash
    What a great idea regarding the refs is there a fund were people can donate to

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    At the end of the day, having the professionals involved, in whatever capacity they can mange, is good for the competition.

Call me satan, but I see that as a small price to pay and those clubs (Cott in particular) get what they deserve in the community forum by the way they are spoken about.

I think WA clubs need to rally around the cry of building future Wallabies and worry less about the local club flag, otherwise the local club scene will never grow to the point of being a genuine preparation for Super rugby and we'll always lose our best WA players to Sydney clubs (and the ITM cup) for the benefit of their rugby.

Again, yes, it's great to have them around, but we're on the same topic again, Lets have the Force players in, and lets have Rugby WA reach down and grab a pair, and make a ruling - do we have dispensation, do we have a registration rule, or do we allow superior higher elite types to be treated differently. This is still an issue that still needs to be dealt with 5 years later - write it into the competition rules, or have this erupt again.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast