Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Force v Drua 11.05.24

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm not sure issak has done enough to get ahead of White and McDermott. If Lonergan is considered given his shocking decline, then yes but I don't think either have earned gold at this moment.
    I like the way Cron has been using the Nic / IFL combo, Lonergan has gone off the boil and even Tate has had his moments. It'll be interesting to see who's in that first squad

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gareth Chilcott after his last game for Bath in 1993
    “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Have been pondering on this for a couple of weeks.
    Given the spirit of a fresh start, if I had to make the decision, I would seriously go the SR Managements of each Franchise and say to the effect of, "I have selected these (insert number) players for the first Train On Squad and RA will cover their week in Camp. If you believe there is any other eligible player that deserves consideration or would benefit from this first week then send them along, but it will be at your cost. I also invite any of your Coaches to attend this week as observers, but that also will be at your cost."
    Jumbuk Joe should be astute enough to nail 90% of his Squad, particularly with modern media and the embedded time he has had at all five locations, but I think he would also be astute enough to be open to input, from those who have had them all season, around the fringe selections.
    I like that he made the trip to WA to spend a week with the squad, I don't recall Cheik, Dave or Eddie (had no opportunity) doing that (guess they did though).

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gareth Chilcott after his last game for Bath in 1993
    “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    I like that he made the trip to WA to spend a week with the squad, I don't recall Cheik, Dave or Eddie (had no opportunity) doing that (guess they did though).
    Never saw the above but did see Deans a fair bit over here

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    I like the way Cron has been using the Nic / IFL combo, Lonergan has gone off the boil and even Tate has had his moments. It'll be interesting to see who's in that first squad
    I recon i am liking Nic's halfback game much more with us, as he is not kicking all the time. It MUST have been part of the Brums and Wallabies game plan to box kick a lot. Either that or Cron has explicitely told him not to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    I recon i am liking Nic's halfback game much more with us, as he is not kicking all the time. It MUST have been part of the Brums and Wallabies game plan to box kick a lot. Either that or Cron has explicitely told him not to.
    Cron has bashed all the dumb kicking in almost every losing press conference, so the latter is a pretty good shout.

"welcome Nic, If you want to make the field even once this year, we need to have a talk about dumb box kicks with no chaser"

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    we did quite well, with our 48-10 but there was some cricket going on in the UK.

Northampton thump Gloucester 90-0
    15,249 souls were witness to that massacre...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    15,249 souls were witness to that massacre...
    now,that is a shellacking!

vCash
    Our crowd looked pretty woeful on Saturday. Was any official number put on the screen that I missed perhaps?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Our crowd looked pretty woeful on Saturday. Was any official number put on the screen that I missed perhaps?
    Not woeful - just indicative of how unpopular the 8 PM time slot is as it doesn't suit families.

What a shame that so many missed watching such a great game live!!

Note: The time slot is set by SANZAAR/STAN.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    Aside from Hoiles being Hoiles.
    Maloney rose quite a few rungs IMO tonight. Firstly casting a bit of Burley early on by asking Holes & Turinui if they are ever biased in commentary. Shocked denials of course. Then a bit later taking Holes to task over his whining on about the TMO not overruling the Faifua try. Fkn sook.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post

4,882 according to the match report

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tjs10 View Post
    4,882 according to the match report
    ooo, that is tiny

vCash
    Whilst the 8pm kick off is not ideal for families, our crowds have been trending downwards since last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Maloney rose quite a few rungs IMO tonight. Firstly casting a bit of Burley early on by asking Holes & Turinui if they are ever biased in commentary. Shocked denials of course. Then a bit later taking Holes to task over his whining on about the TMO not overruling the Faifua try. Fkn sook.
    I'm glad he called it, although a little orchestrated. Hoiles vehemently stuck by his opinion. My question is they have the access and resources, why not bring up all available angles and super slo-mo it?

Also good on Maloney for not only raising the bias but the idea of Hoiles bagging the refs. A player/coach/media needs to lead in the change of behaviour toward officials. I boo decisions not the man. I listen to sports ears at the game and hearing the discussion of what is being checked is sometimes insightful (although they cut out for the second half)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Donaldson: 'I pride myself on being that triple threat'

Mon, May 13, 2024, 5:00 PM
    Ben Somerford

Play Interview- https://westernforce.rugby/news/dona...chmidt-2024513

‘Triple threat’ Ben Donaldson says the mood within the group is excellent after Saturday’s 48-10 bonus-point win over the Fijian Drua but the focus has quickly switched to another vital game against the NSW Waratahs.

Donaldson was outstanding in Saturday’s victory with 23 points, including a perfect eight-from-eight goal-kicking alongside a late try to ice the triumph which lifted the Force from 12th to ninth on the Super Rugby Pacific ladder.

But the Wallabies fly-half wasn’t dwelling on his own performance, instead enthused by what the result meant to the team with three important games to play in the top-eight race.

“I was really pleased firstly just to get the win,” Donaldson told reporters on Monday.

“It’s pleasing to get that result especially with the performance we had the previous week in New Zealand (the loss to the Chiefs).

“I thought I was not too bad out there myself. It’s just really pleasing to put a good performance in when we train so hard during the week, when we know what we’re capable of individually and as a team. To get a bonus-point win was awesome.”

Donaldson’s fine display has led to many accolades this week, while it came under the watchful eye of Wallabies head coach Joe Schmidt.

The Randwick talent said he’d worked closely with Force coaches Simon Cron and Mark Ozich to improve his attacking game.

“I pride myself on being that triple threat,” Donaldson said. “Running, passing and kicking. I feel like I play my best footy when I’m running and challenging the line.

“I was pretty happy with my game on the weekend, I had a fair few carries, mixed the game up quite well, but definitely I like carrying, trying to get through the line and create some opportunity for the boys. I’ve been working on it at training.”

Donaldson said the mood internally was upbeat but the focus had quickly switched to facing the Tahs, who are also battling for a spot in the eight.

The 24-year-old knows the Tahs well, having spent five years with the NSW outfit before switching to WA in the off-season.

“Obviously the feeling is great in the group at the moment,” Donaldson said. “It’s always good when you come in on a Monday reviewing a win as opposed to a loss.

“But we know it’s going to be a tough game this week. The Tahs have had a pretty tough run this year as well. They’ve had a lot of injuries, so they’ve got a few new boys in there.

“I know all those boys and the coaching staff and what they can produce. It’s exciting for me coming up against them but at the same time I know what they’re capable of. We’re going to have to be on this weekend.”

The Force are now two points behind eighth-placed Fijian Drua in the finals race with three rounds to play. The WA side face the Waratahs (home), the Queensland Reds (away) and the ACT Brumbies (home) on the run home.

“We spoke about last week, these are the games you want to be a part of, these are the games you want to play in and it’s almost like a grand final every week for us,” Donaldson said.

“If you don’t show up, you’re probably not making the finals. Last week, we showed up every day at training and showed up on the weekend. The boys love that and on the weekend, the boys thrived in that environment, so hopefully we can do it again.”

Saturday’s game will also be extra special for Donaldson, who’s set to bring up his 50th Super Rugby cap, having played 38 for the Tahs previously.

“It is special,” 25-year-old Donaldson said. “Everyone says it, getting one Super Rugby game is a dream as a kid and now to get 50 is very special.

“My family are coming over for it as well which will be awesome. To play against the Waratahs who I’ve had the majority of my games with will be very special.

“It’s also Harry Hoopert’s 50th so it’ll be cool to play alongside him again. We’ll celebrate that, hopefully after another good win but first focus is this week and putting in another good performance.”

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast