Thread: 2024 Western Australia Schoolboys XV

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

2024 Western Australia Schoolboys XV

There isn't one.

Despite generations of raising community funds and scraping together the necessary support to send previous Squads, RugbyWA has not seen fit to send a WA presence to the 50th Anniversary Tournament.

There is a NSWJRU hosted Barbarians XV which you would assume WA could have nominated players for and could've at least allowed some presence, but looking at the story linked below and, despite Northern Territory, South Australia and Tasmania managing a player to that team, to my knowledge, none are from WA.

I hear some talk of not meeting RWA's "strategy".
    If that is the case, I would suggest the rest of Australia have a different strategy, as literally every other catchment has a presence.

https://schoolsrugby.com.au/boys-xvs-team-lists/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    There isn't one.

Despite generations of raising community funds and scraping together the necessary support to send previous Squads, RugbyWA has not seen fit to send a WA presence to the 50th Anniversary Tournament.

There is a NSWJRU hosted Barbarians XV which you would assume WA could have nominated players for and could've at least allowed some presence, but looking at the story linked below and, despite Northern Territory, South Australia and Tasmania managing a player to that team, to my knowledge, none are from WA.

I hear some talk of not meeting RWA's "strategy".
    If that is the case, I would suggest the rest of Australia have a different strategy, as literally every other catchment has a presence.

https://schoolsrugby.com.au/boys-xvs-team-lists/
    The answer to your question is simply answered by one world “RUGBYWA”

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm strongly opposed to this constant RugbyWA bashing.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    This matter has been well covered in previous years.
    The Schoolboys competition is run outside the program that is run through RAu and the State Unions which has a focus on the U16 and U19 national competitions. These lead to representing Australia in the U20 competition.

The WF and RugbyWA has just completed the promoting rugby competition for secondary school boys and girls between 13 schools across the metropolitan area - playing for the UWA Western Force Cups. These boys and girls involved are free to play for the local clubs if they are attracted to rugby union. Most of the school teams included players who already are.

Like other school trips, if players want to be involved then the fund raising for involvement is usually up the the students and parents.
    As I understand it, in the Private Schools, if students play the school then they are unable to play club rugby because the private schools play on Saturday as well. Hence the Secondary School focus.

Although I understand that the schoolboy competition may have been established before the U16 and U19 programmes it's now been superseded. To have this issue raised each year is tiresome.

It also has NOTHING to do with the Western Force which for me is what TWF (The Western Force Supporters Site) is all about.

Last edited by andrewg; 03-07-24 at 04:12.

Champion
    vCash
    Since you seem to have all the answers perhaps you can tell us the reasoning behind about why there is no Perth Gold squad this season or has that been superseded as well, apologies if this post does not meet the criteria to be allowed to post on The Western Force Supporters Site

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Since you seem to have all the answers perhaps you can tell us the reasoning behind about why there is no Perth Gold squad this season or has that been superseded as well, apologies if this post does not meet the criteria to be allowed to post on The Western Force Supporters Site
    I certainly DO NOT have all of the answers............

Perhaps you can advise what competition Perth Gold would play in. Against which other teams?

The game is serious trouble with some teams, some State Unions and RAu experiencing financial difficulties.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    It also has NOTHING to do with the Western Force which for me is what TWF (The Western Force Supporters Site) is all about.
    There are literally three sub-forums on this website dedicated to this kind of thing. If you don't like it maybe steer clear of the WA Metro Rugby sub-forum, WA Country Rugby sub-forum and the WA School Boys sub-forum.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good advice Jargon83.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    I'm strongly opposed to this constant RugbyWA bashing.
    i'm sure you are!,lol

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Now, now, Gunny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    i'm sure you are!,lol
    Aren't you supposed to be off somewhere playing golf or drinking Leo's or something?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    1. WA historically

WAJRU U14 XV
    WASRU U15 XV
    WAJRU U16 XV
    WASRU Open Schoolboys XV

This gave a continuous transition through the ages as different boys were at different stages of growth, without any extensive jumps in size. Tours were largely player family funded through raffles and lamington drives and the touring party were billeted out to destination host families.

2. Every other State/Province has managed to have a presence at the Tournament to celebrate the 50th year, with NSW (NSW I, NSW II & NSWJRU Clubs XV), Qld (2), ACT (1), Victoria (1) and a Combined States-Barbarians XV hosted by NSWJRU.

3. The UWA Western Force Cup, as the name suggests, is sponsored by UWA and coordinated by the Force.
    https://westernforce.rugby/news/west...tition-2022711

4. The most dominate Schoolboys School in WA at the moment is Aranmore, who are outside of the PSA. They absolutely dominate the UWA Western Force Cup, with other non-PSA Schools actively trying to avoid playing them. Admission into the PSA system would be an advantage to WA Rugby, but highly political to achieve with the existing seven members.
    The PSA currently has a wide range of skills and depth.
    This year I have seen each 1st XV at least once.
    Scoth and Hale are on a par and will have a cracking final round for the Cup in a few weeks.
    Trinity, who have been strong since the early 90's have fallen away to be third ranked, with Aquinas next in talent.
    Guildford and Wesley have some good players, but are not up to the long term standard of PSA Rugby.
    Christchurch are battling for numbers and I hear rumour they may have, or are about to, forfeit the1st XV season.

5. The current WA Youth Rep Situation

U15 Boys
    WARU North XV
    WARU Central XV
    WARU South XV

U16 Boys
    WARU North XV
    WARU Central XV
    WARU South XV
    Western Force U16 XV

U16 Girls
    WARU Black XV
    WARU Gold XV

U18 Girls
    WARU Black XV
    WARU Gold XV

U19 Boys
    Western Force U19 XV

6. The NSW Youth Rep Situation

U12 Boys
    NSW Primary Schools Sports Association (PSSA) 1st XV

U12 Girls
    PSSA 7s

U14 Boys
    Sydney Junior RU (SJRU) Blue XV
    SJRU Red XV
    SJRU Sydney XV
    NSW Country RU (NSWCRU) XV

U14 Girls
    SJRU Blue XV
    SJRU Red XV
    SJRU Sydney XV
    NSWCRU XV

U15 Boys
    SJRU Blue XV
    SJRU Red XV
    SJRU Barbarians XV
    SJRU Sydney XV
    NSWCRU XV
    Waratahs U15 XV

U16 Boys
    Association of Independent Co-Educational Schools (AICES) 1st XV
    Associated Schools of NSW Inc (CAS) 1st XV
    NSW Combined Catholic Colleges (NSWCCC) 1st XV
    Combined High Schools (CHS) 1st XV XV
    Great Public Schools of NSW (GPS) Presidents A XV
    GPS Presidents B XV
    Independent Schools Association (ISA) Black XV
    ISA Gold XV
    SJRU Blue XV
    SJRU Red XV
    SJRU Sydney XV
    NSWCRU XV
    NSWJRU Presidents XV
    NSW Schools I XV
    NSW Schools II XV
    Waratahs U16 XV

U16 Girls
    ISA 7s
    SJRU Blue XV
    SJRU Red XV
    SJRU Sydney XV
    NSWCRU XV

Open Boys
    AICES 1st XV
    CAS 1st XV
    CAS 2nd XV
    NSWCCC 1st XV
    CHS 1st XV
    CHS 2nd XV
    GPS 1st XV
    GPS 2nd XV
    GPS Blue XV
    GPS White XV
    ISA 1st XV
    ISA 2nd XV
    SJRU Sydney XV
    SJRU Sydney Shadows XV
    NSWCRU
    Waratahs U18
    NSW Schools I XV
    NSW Schools II XV
    NSW Juniors XV
    NSWJRU Barbarians XV

U18 Girls
    ISA 7s
    SJRU Sydney XV
    NSWCRU XV
    NSW All Schools XV

6. Brisbane/Queensland have a little bit different system, but similar numbers of Rep Teams competing

7. While Western Australia obviously doesn't have the same numbers of players available, to somehow suggest that less playing opportunities with bigger age gaps in pathways is "progressive", while the Heartland States have it wrong is bizarre.

8. I personally know of several (and anecdotally of approximately twenty) of our best Juniors having left the State or imminent, both Interstate and International, to pursue offered opportunities that are non-existent or personally blocked to them here in WA.

9. Sources tell me that RWA take action and view very dimly any proactive work by anyone other than RWA around inbound and away Tours, while such opportunities are on offer to organise rapidly.

10. Developing future local players for higher honours is core business for RWA, amongst other KPI's, and by extension these development pathways and seeking best practice around that is absolutely one of the many fields of discussion for this forum.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Meanwhile, another where WA aren't attending either...

Excitement building for Southern States Junior Championship in Adelaide

Thu, Jul 4, 2024, 12:30 PM
    TAS Rugby

Tassie’s most promising rugby talents are eyeing national glory at next week’s junior championships in Adelaide.

The Tasmanian Rugby Union (TRU) will field four sides (under 14 boys, under 16 girls, under 16 boys, under 18 boys) at the Southern States tournament with a selection of under 18 girls also named in Rugby Australia’s invitational squad.

After a strong start to the statewide junior competition, TRU competitions manager Nick Marshall is excited to see Tassie’s best youngsters don the green and gold.

“We’re really pleased with the start to our 2024 competition. It’s been a great lead-in to representative rugby,” Marshall said.

“Southern States will pit our juniors against the some of the best rugby players across the country. It’s going to be a tough task but we think they’re up for the challenge.”

Each Tasmanian side will tackle Victoria, South Australia and Northern Territory in a round-robin format before a final play-off fixture.

Meanwhile the girls named in Rugby Australia’s under 18 Barbarians side face a challenging two-day block with four games against hosts South Australia.

“It’s a great time for rugby at the moment with the Wallabies, Wallaroos and Olympic Sevens teams all in action,” Marshall said.

“We’re hoping a taste of representative rugby will inspire these young players to make their own memories in green and gold, whether that’s for Tassie or higher honours down the line.”

The Southern States tournament kicks off in Adelaide on Tuesday 9 July and runs through to Friday July 12.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.