Thread: Joey to give Wallabies a kick-along, maybe

vCash

Cool Joey to give Wallabies a kick-along, maybe

The shadow squad has some good players in it (bottom of article) damned if I can make out how the selection process works.

.....Joey to give Wallabies a kick-along

Greg Growden Chief rugby correspondent
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Wallabies are again pushing hard for Andrew Johns to fill the role of kicking guru during this year's World Cup, despite Australian Rugby Union officials recently declaring it was unlikely the league great would be involved.

Test coach John Connolly yesterday said Johns, who has provided kicking tuition at numerous recent Wallabies training sessions, was certain to play some role at the tournament.

"When Andrew Johns is available, he will drop in," Connolly said. "He is very keen to go to the World Cup. We are trying to look at that at the moment."

Johns would not be available to become part of the Wallabies World Cup off-field contingent until the quarter- and semi-finals stages of the tournament, because of his television commitments with the Nine Network.

When asked if appointing Johns the Wallabies kicking coach was back on the agenda, Connolly said: "Well, it never has been off the agenda. It's just a matter of what we can work out. He's always been keen if it fits in.

"We've always been keen, too, if it fits in. That's as far as it has gone. And if he came across to the World Cup, he would have a role to play. He enjoys being involved with us."

After many years coaching in the northern hemisphere, Connolly is fully aware of the importance of a team's midfield positional kicking.

Australia's kicking frailties were again exposed when the Wallabies could not counter the kicking game of All Blacks five-eighth Daniel Carter during Saturday's Bledisloe Cup match in Auckland.

Although Australia's midfield kicking has improved, it is still not first-rate.

When discussing whether the Wallabies were a genuine contender to win the World Cup, Connolly said the team's progress through the pool stage would rely heavily on the squad not sustaining injuries. "If we keep everyone on deck, we're a good chance," he said. "And as Australia has already discovered from previous tournaments, World Cup games can be toss-of-the-coin stuff."

Connolly also confirmed that Australia would field its strongest XV in the first two World Cup pool matches - against Japan in Lyon on September 8 and against Wales a week later in Cardiff.

He said it was imperative the Wallabies were quick to camouflage any weaknesses. "I think you really need to have a complete game. I don't think you can go in being strong in some areas, and weak in others. Our scrum will stand up against everyone.

"The All Blacks are the best [scrummagers], and that will always be a challenge, but I thought they got away with murder last Saturday night.

"Our lineout is strong, but we have to get more physical at the breakdown. We are working on that.

"The width in our play and the directness is good. Our kicking game is improving. I thought George's [Gregan] tactical kicking was very good in Auckland, and he's working hard on that, while Steve [Larkham] will be working on his kicking over the next few months. And getting Chris Latham back will be handy."

The Australian Rugby Championship will be boosted by the decision of the Wallabies selectors to get numerous World Cup players on the field in several games before they leave for France next month.

While fullback Latham will be involved in a Brisbane club match this weekend, the plan is for hooker Sean Hardman, prop Al Baxter and utility forward Mark Chisholm to play one ARC game.

The recently suspended Lote Tuqiri is unlikely to appear, but prop Greg Holmes, halfback Sam Cordingley and five-eighth Berrick Barnes are each scheduled to play two ARC matches.

To ensure that No.8 Wycliff Palu is fit to join the tour, he is expected to play 40 minutes in one game, and a full match the following week.

A World Cup shadow squad will be named this week. It is expected to include:

Benn Robinson, Rodney Blake, James Horwill, Al Campbell, Josh Holmes, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Jone Tawake, Josh Valentine, Ryan Cross, Clinton Schifcofske and Sam Norton-Knight.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah Chook, I agree!
    Blake, Horwill, Campbell, Tawake, Cross and Schifcofske should all have been in the Squad.
    Dunno who those other muppets are though?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Josh Holmes is too young although very talented ( same mould as Beale).
    2Dads is too nervous for RWC, maybe with a few beta-blockers he could do ok.
    Bennnnn is good but dangerously underweight.
    Valentine, well, just no.
    Al Campbell? I'd have Caldwell in front of him.
    Tawake could be alright off the bench, losing his finger has improved his handling strangely enough.
    Ryan Cross and Clinton Schifcofske are better than a 'ghost' team. Clinton is an excellent fullback, beats tacklers, can kick the ball and has a lot of big game experience.
    Tats on the bench maybe. Blake,well, look what you get when you do what you are told?

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    George's tactical kicking was very good in Auckland, and he's working hard on that, while Steve will be working on his kicking over the next few months
    Bernie has tried it on twice against the AB's. Once for a near miss to Mortlock and once, under pressure, into the legs of an AB defender. That second one showed up the difference between Joey and nearly everyone else. He always had half an hour to make the play.

I hope Connolly and Johnson persevere with it. But I think I agree with Burgs' thoughts on whether this intuitive stuff can be coached. At least not between now and the semi final. Don't be surprised at who comes in to first receiver on certain plays in the big games.