vCash

Question Pool D, this one could get dicey

Pool D

France
    Ireland
    Argentina
    Georgia
    Namibia

There's three teams in D with the chance of making the quarters and advancing beyond. Host Nation France, the Irish, and Los Pumas will be quick to find out the simple maths, two doesn't go into three. Expect some fireworks in this Pool as none of the three teams are known to be laid back and relaxed about things. Georgia land in their second RWC and not much is expected from them, while the Nam will hopefully not simply throw their hands in the air like they did in 2003.

France Like New Zealand France have been steadily building and not giving anything away to likely opponents. Recently the French unleashed in a couple of warm up games and look the business going into the Cup. Strength in all parts of the field, a flair an unpredictability to stymie opponents, but with a record of imploding at the worse possible moment.

France have never won a world cup, 2007 marks their best chance. Pretty strong looking pack, with the loosies below the standard of the Southern scavangers. And who wouldn't want that backline. Don't let those scores from Downunder fool you, the French are in this one up to their necks.

Ireland Simply put, the Brian O'Driscoll factor. Ireland aren't the same team without the big O'D leading from the back. Rumours currently circulating the big fella may not make the pitch for the cup, that could be Ireland's chances gone without a shot in anger.

One weird team to predict, they can beat anyone on their day, and then the next lose to anyone. Ireland fire on passion, will they have enough in the tank to get out of the Pool?

Argentina Los Pumas head to the World Cup with one hell of a forward pack, a backline that knows how to score tries, and a belief that they can advance this time round. The Argies will be eyeing off all four pool games as wins, and if they get the bounce of the ball could well pull it off. Neither France nor Ireland will be taking the South Americans lightly, and hence we are going to get some pretty good games.

Will Argentina deliver on the promise they have shown over the last few years?

Georgia Out of their depth here but might pull one off against the Nam. Second time round for the Eastern Europeans and with a bit of advertising going their way they wont be reliant on gear from other teams for their campaign.

A truely amateur team that have already won their World Cup by qualifying for France. We wish them well.

Namibia These guys were a disgrace to the game in 2003 when they simply gave up in a couple of matchs. To be brutal honest I would rather have seen the Ivory Coast in France in 2007, at least the Coast kept trying in the face of some blow outs. The Nam won no fans Downunder in 2003 but could redeem themselves by at least trying in the four pool matchs.

Likely Outcome

France to walk into the quarters from Pool D, with either Ireland or Argentina grabbing second spot and a likely meeting with the MiBs.

What We Would Like to See

Ireland and Los Pumas advancing at the cost of France. Sorry, but neither Australia or New Zealand would look forward to playing the French on their own home turf.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Last world cup I scammed the works at the Georgia/Samoa game. Had a good chat to the Georgian lock, Igor ??, Nice bunch of blokes even though only 2 could speak english. The memories of many,many free Heinekens, trying to draft geaorgian players to the dungbeetles (without them having any understanding of what I was talking about) makes them a Sentimental 2nd team for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmaag
    Last world cup I scammed the works at the Georgia/Samoa game. Had a good chat to the Georgian lock, Igor ??, Nice bunch of blokes even though only 2 could speak english. The memories of many,many free Heinekens, trying to draft geaorgian players to the dungbeetles (without them having any understanding of what I was talking about) makes them a Sentimental 2nd team for me.
    Would have to agree on the Georgia team. While endless amounts of bits are written on the major teams, one of the true enjoyments of the RWC is seeing some of the minor teams in action. Channel 10 seem to have missed this aspect, heck what am I saying they have no friggin idea of how to cover the RWC. Australia v Japan is not going to rate, sure show it, but not at the cost of some of these Pool D matches. France, Ireland, Argentina are going to really turn it on against each other.

vCash
    [/QUOTE]

Ireland and Los Pumas advancing at the cost of France. Sorry, but neither Australia or New Zealand would look forward to playing the French on their own home turf.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, the French will have their blood up at home. If they lose a game in the pool rounds it will make this pool very interesting. As most people say the "pool of death"!

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Nice work on all of the pool reviews Jethro.

Just happy to be here