Looking a lot like '99

September 21, 2007

Australia again have Napoleons across the park, writes Greg Growden in Montpellier.

THE 2007 Wallabies could emulate the 1999 Australian World Cup champions because of the number of leaders in the line-up.

This is the view of Wallabies forwards coach John Muggleton, who is involved in his third Australian World Cup campaign.

Muggleton told the Herald the distinguishing characteristic of the 1999 team was that "we had a great group of older players - such as John Eales, Tim Horan, Jason Little, Phil Kearns, Matt Burke, while George Gregan was also involved as a leader".

"There were hard-nosed blokes in the pack. We had four or five blokes in that team who had captained Australia," Muggleton said. "So there were plenty of blokes who put up their hands in a leadership role. That was important. At the 2003 World Cup we lacked that. We had a lot of blokes in that transitional period, who weren't really in a position to put up their hand and be leaders."

Four years on, the Wallabies again have a broad band of leaders, which will be crucial during finals time in France next month.

"Here we have a different group, and blokes working hard on being leaders. In the forwards, we have Nathan Sharpe and Dan Vickerman, who are doing a great job, and are big influences there," Muggleton said.

"You have Stirling Mortlock as the captain, and you have Chris Latham out the back there. So we have got to the stage again where we have blokes who are willing to pull other blokes up, willing to give advice, willing to put their hands up in a tight situation, and say: 'I'm going to do something here.' Basically, we have good coverage over the field, which we had in 1999."

Although Muggleton will not comment on his coaching future until after the World Cup, it is known the Australian Rugby Union is considering keeping him as part of the Wallabies coaching team. Head coach John Connolly is to leave the Wallabies at the end of the tournament.

The ARU is concerned it could miss out on its prize candidate - Crusaders coach Robbie Deans - and is considering the three-man team of Scott Johnson, Michael Foley and Muggleton.

Plan B has Johnson as head coach and Foley and Muggleton as his deputies.

All three would be heavily involved in the coaching of the players, with the head coach no longer taking on an overseer's role, as Connolly has done during the two seasons he has been in charge.

It is understood Johnson, Foley and Muggleton have been in recent discussions with officials of the ARU.

From Muggleton's comments, it appears he would be eager to continue being involved in a team he believes is going places.

"The good thing about young blokes is that they are willing to learn, and after the World Cup there will be a lot of young blokes coming into this squad," he said. "Already we have a very exciting 10-12-13 combination in Berrick Barnes, Matt Giteau and Adam Ashley-Cooper.

"Whatever happens in the future, I love my job and I like these blokes. Whatever level of involvement, I am quite happy to have it with these players. These are exciting times."

Muggleton said the challenge was to "build that identity and that mental toughness in defence that we have had over the years".

"We just have to keep that going through with basically what will be a very new squad," he added. "I also think we will be better served at the next World Cup than we are in this one - specifically because we are aware that we need more leaders across the park. The players are aware of that."