Thread: Giteau thrives on new freedom

vCash

Giteau thrives on new freedom

Giteau thrives on new freedom

From correspondents in Montpellier, France
    September 26, 2007

MATT Giteau says he is relishing the extra freedom to play to his instincts in the star-studded Australia backline at the Rugby World Cup.

Giteau was the man of the match in Australia's 55-12 win over Fiji last Saturday, scoring two tries in a haul of 27 points.

The impish inside centre, who celebrates his 25th birthday on Saturday, said he was enjoying the uninhibited freedom to express himself under the coaching of John Connolly and backs coach Scott Johnson.

"Personally, I feel like I'm getting a lot more freedom," Giteau said. "You are able to go out there and play just on instinct, and that's when I feel like I'm playing my best rugby. "There's definitely times when you do need structure, and at times it's important for the team to have that structure, but then you can't have that all the time. "That's when guys like Stirling Mortlock, even Chris Latham, they're good when they just rely on their instincts."

Giteau, who is carrying more responsibility to share the workload away from veterans Stephen Larkham and George Gregan, wants to be rested from the match against Canada in Bordeaux this weekend.

"I am looking forward to a rest this weekend, depending on a few injuries in the team, and it's obviously a good chance to freshen up and look for the quarter-finals," Giteau said. "But, having said that, if I have to sit on the bench then I'm more than happy to do it."

Giteau said he was gaining in confidence after a muddling start to the tournament against Japan in Lyon. "My form has certainly improved since the first game against Japan," he said. "There's still a few areas where I need to work on, but I'm starting to get a lot more confident and definitely enjoying playing. "With Bernie (Larkham) out, I've had to step up a little more on the field, learn a little more about the plays and how we want to attack."

Agence France-Presse

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash

Giteau to play if needed

Giteau to play if needed
    26/09/2007 7:26:05 PM
    Steve Orme
    Sportal

Wallabies utility Matt Giteau says he will answer the call should his services be required for the Wallabies' final Pool B match against Canada on Saturday.

In light of Stephen Larkham's second bout of knee surgery in 10 days and with replacement flyhalf Berrick Barnes battling a corked thigh, Giteau's planned rest-week is in jeopardy.

Having already booked a quarter-finals berth, head coach John Connolly had every intention to rest his star utility, but Larkham's latest setback may have caused a re-think.

"I'd probably prefer to have a rest to freshen up for the quarter-finals but having said that if I have to bench, I'm more than happy to do it," Giteau said.

"I think any chance you get to play for your country obviously you want to do it but given that chance I'd probably prefer to rest."

Giteau said the added workload in the absence of his former Brumbies team-mate had taken its toll. "Especially with 'Bernie' (Larkham) being out I've had to obviously step it up a little bit off the field." "Learn a little bit more as far as plays and how we want to attack for the full 80 minutes, so I think both physically and mentally, it would be good to have a bit of a break," he said.

The 25-year-old, who was a relative newcomer to the Wallabies set-up when selected for the 2003 World Cup squad, said rookie pivot Berrick Barnes continues to grow in stature with every outing.

"As far as development, I think he's developed and learnt a lot so far already," Giteau said. "The difference from the Welsh game to the Fijian game he took a lot more responsibility in just one week so he's certainly developing whether he plays with experienced players or he doesn't."

And the 50-Test veteran is also confident the entire Wallabies squad is on track as the sudden-death stages of the tournament draw near. "I do think that we're building nicely, especially as a backline (and) as a whole team," he said. "But specifically as a backline I think everyone's pretty comfortable where we're at."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."