Thread: Super 14, 2008- The Hurricanes

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Super 14, 2008- The Hurricanes

Form from 2007
    The Hurricanes weren't much of a performer in 2007 even when their All Blacks players returned. Having problems in the halves saw Jimmy Gopperth go from bad to worse in form (until a creditible finish) and a lack of edge in the forwards the Hurricanes were lucky to finish as high as they did. For 'Canes fans it was a sorry season given their finals appearance the year before and semis the one before that. On the domestic front the Wellington Lions have made the finals twice in the last two years yet have not been able to clinch the title.

Comings and Goings
    Hurricane totem Tana Umaga has finally left the squad to coach at Toulon in France. Its a considerable loss for the Wellington franchise as Umaga has brought so much to the squad: leadership, experience, skills, handbags and maturity. Errhhmm. Seriously though despite only being able to last about 50 minutes these days Umaga is an valuable asset that Wellington will have to do without. Who is going to keep the powder kegs like Ma'a Nonu in line? Who is going to bring the best out of the team. Lome Fa'atau is another leaver from the backs. After being the top try scorer in 2006 he is moving on to greener pastures (greener because it rains too bloody much in the UK).

Paul Tito is probably the most notable loss from the forwards. The lock captained the side with Umaga out and So'oialo in RWC conditioning. Over the last decade Tito has racked up enough domestic and super caps to make him one of the most experienced players in the pack. His aggression will be a something off a loss when, to match his red hair, the rest of him turns red too.

2008 doesn't see too many new players in the Hurricanes mix- most have come up from the academy or wider training group.

Keep an eye on
    I think the players will agree you need to keep an eye on Ma'a Nonu. The guy is an entertainer. If he plays well he's a line-breaking, player busting centre. If he plays badly he scores himself yellow cards for all manner of stupidly foul plays. Whenever he plays something fun will happen. Nothing beats a good quality Nonu brain explosion. Keeping disciplined is probably something he will work hard on this year but realistically it just ain't going to happen. Bang! Here we go....

On the topic of bashers and bruisers you can't look past the Hurricanes backrow. The Hurricanes just aren't the same without Collins, So'oialo and Masoe- they put the gale force into the team. All All Blacks, all tough as nails and all love to dish out the pain. They came back a bit undercooked from the conditioning program but will be in better form this year. Fit, firing, winning ball, and bashing an opposition flanker near you. Watch out.

Prospectus for 2008
    I rate the Hurricanes as a good chance in 2008. If they start the season well they can definitely make the finals. Jimmy Gopperth will need a much better (and more consistent) season and to work well with his 12 (probably Nonu). The back three will also need to keep their heads. Expect the forwards to be powerful with a great set-piece and great work at the breakdown. In the end though, how the backs use the ball will make the difference between top 4 and top 10. I have a feeling they'll take too long to get things right and have pegged them down for 8th.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Umaga was their glue, without him i think they will struggle,

my bet is 7

vCash
    They still got Cory Jane?

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    I think Zim nailed it. They always needed Tana way too much. I'll go 9th but it'll be a 9th with some upsets. I think they will struggle for consistency rather than form, and will probably knock of some of the bigger names on the way to obscurity.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah Corey Jane is still playing. Personally I think he's a bit inconsistent for me.

But definitely Zim and GIGS20 are right about Umaga if you look at the squad it hasn't really changed that much over the last few years but there seems to be something big missing. From both the tight five and the backs.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well, with a bit of angst here is the time I would go with, not necessarily the one I think they will pick.
    Probably the main point of contention would be Collins at #4.
    I have a real problem with the apparent depth in their Locks after Eaton and him staying fit will be crucial to their campaign.
    I would be aiming for a real running game having a fourth Backrower there and it isn't as if he hasn't played there before.
    Also think it is time for Conrad Smith to come in a place to control the game and I don't rate Nonu at #12 anyway.
    I'm putting more experience at Fullback allowing Jane to have a more roving commission but would expect him to spend time at #15 in open play as well, a little like the Shepherd-Mitchell relationship I guess.
    So, here you have it:

Burgs' Hurricanes

1 John Schwalger Prop 1.87m 122kg
    2 Andrew Hore Hooker 1.83m 110kg
    3 Neemia Tialata Prop 1.87m 127kg
    4 Jerry Collins Loose Forward 1.90m 109kg
    5 Jason Eaton Lock 2.02m 111kg
    6 Rodney So'oialo Loose forward 1.90m 107kg
    7 Chris Masoe Loose forward 1.88m 106kg
    8 Thomas Waldrom Loose forward 1.84m 111kg (Pack- 903kg)

9 Piri Weepu Halfback 1.78m 94kg
    10 Jimmy Gopperth Flyhalf 1.79m 88kg
    11 Hosea Gear Wing 1.88m 102kg
    12 Conrad Smith Centre 1.86m 95kg
    13 Ma'a Nonu Midfield back, wing 1.82m 102kg
    14 Cory Jane Fullback, wing 1.83m 85kg
    15 Shannon Paku Fullback 1.80m 90kg

16 Hikawera Elliot Hooker 1.86m 116kg
    17 Tim Fairbrother Prop 1.83m 119kg
    18 Craig Clarke Lock 2.00m 103kg
    19 Jeremy Thrush Lock 1.98m 111kg
    20 Alby Mathewson Halfback 1.73m 86kg
    21 Tane Tu'ipulotu Midfield back 1.86m 99kg
    22 Tamati Ellison Utility back 1.84m 95kg

Remainder of the Squad:

Jacob Ellison Prop 1.89m 113kg
    Bernie Upton Lock 1.98m 115kg
    Scott Waldrom Loose Forward 1.82m 95kg
    Michael Johnson Blindside Flanker 1.92m 109kg
    Willie Ripia First Five Eight 1.77m 91kg
    Zac Guildford Wing 1.82m 93kg

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Conrad and Nonu had a fantastic game for Baa baas last week, it really is a must see game of rugby.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Hosea Gear, bigger and better than Rico, potentially. One of my favourite players from S14 07.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu