Thread: Tahu a monster in the line

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Tahu a monster in the line

Tahu a monster in the line

December 30, 2007

TIMANA Tahu can become one of the most fearsome backline defenders in rugby union, after his cross-code switch from league, but his crushing shoulder charge could be a problem in the heat of battle.

That's the early assessment from NSW defensive coach Les Kiss, who said Tahu had the power and technique to "monster" players in defence.

One of rugby league's most gifted attackers, Tahu also rattled plenty of bones in the NRL last season with his jarring shoulder charges.

But the shoulder charge is outlawed in rugby union and Kiss has been working with Tahu to modify his technique. Kiss joked that Tahu might need some Butch James-type training, referring to the South African five-eighth who became notorious for his illegal shoulder charges.

But Tahu has so far impressed Kiss. "He's come in and adapted to it very quickly," Kiss said.

"He hasn't done a tackle yet where he hasn't used his arms, he's been very good.

"I think in the heat of battle, where there's a more full-on environment, there might be some challenges there (restraining from the shoulder charge).

"But it's not like we've had to say 'we better coach that out of him'."

Kiss hinted at a more aggressive "blitz" defence at the Waratahs next season.

The rushing defensive line could suit Tahu, who will play either at 13 or on the wing.

"The type of defence Timana's come from he naturally comes hard forward, he comes from outside in and can smoke guys," Kiss said.

"The fact he goes hard at a man and gets in tight early and wraps his arms, he monsters a few guys. He's certainly got a better natural technique when he gets in tight, so I'm looking forward to that working well for us."

Kiss compared Tahu's defence to that of Wallabies captain and another outside centre, Stirling Mortlock.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Excellent. Timtam is ready to lay down the People's Shoulder on all opponents.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    We'll see..they seem to say that about nearly every leaguie who crosses over, that their defense is tops, but as we know, defense is not just about the tackle itself, its also about reading the play. I'm sure he'll be fine in a one-on-one situation but will wait and see how he copes in open play.

vCash
    He'll be fine, trust me, i'm a Tahs fan.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    theres a great interveiw with him in the new inside rugby

<>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    Excellent. Timtam is ready to lay down the People's Shoulder on all opponents.
    Chook is "the People's Shoulder" the left or the right?

What's the other one called, Cecil?

C'mon the

vCash
    You don't want to meet Cecil, gigsa. He's a mean muthatrucka. Think Goldberg, but angrier.

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    Whoopi Goldgerg isn't that tough chook...(Now rough, that's more like it)...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Im a Parra Eels fan and was more than SHATTERED to see him leave..
    Just a sign of the times and $$$ value.

This bloke is a MACHINE and will get all the supporters upo of the chairs with there hands in the air..

He even has a touch of GOD about him when he puts it together

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/f.../dograce-2.jpg
    Dont take on anything until you are fully prepaired.
    Lack of drive will only see your demise

vCash
    He's a mungo and will not see his rugby potential this year. They all take time to make the transition, I'm predicting a Ryan Cross-type year for him, A couple of good performances, followed by a fair bit of difficulty running away from support and making poor defensive decisions. Don't forget Crossy was a rugby player in his junior years and he had trouble last season. Tahu might be fantastic for rugby, but the odds aren't good in recent times, Wendell - Came over after pretty much being the Jonah Lomu of league and was ... OK not brilliant, and definately no Lomu made the Wallabies, and was pretty much not challenged, but you can't say he made the transition well. Matt Rogers - Was a superstar in League, came to Rugby and made the Wallabies to sit on the bench much of his career, he was there because of a huge contract, not because of his ability, when he finally got his shot to start under Connolly, he showed he really wasn't up to the standard and went back to league (where he's playing well and it's only age that's stopping him setting the world alight again) (well that and his dodgy neck), Lote - ....don't get me started, another Rogers, but he's not smart enough to realise he doesn't cut it....he's crap, and Robbie Deans needs to bench his ass, Ryan Cross - the experiment continues, he struggled last year to make the transition effectively, I have high hopes this year, he certainly has shown glimpses of brilliance, but will it all go pear shaped like the 'poofy blue three'

I think the difference between Crossy and the others is in the contract. When Crossy talks about the Wallabies, it's clear he feels he has to earn a place in the team, when Lote talks about the Wallabies, he's telling the coach where to play him, Crossy seems to want to work his way into the game and become a Wallaby. If Tahu spends too much time with (his apparent mentor) Lote, he'll fall into the same hole of thinking he's the duck's guts regardless of proof.

He might be AWESOME on the league paddock, it means very little in union IMHO!

Before people go on to mention people in history who've made the transition successfully, I'd like to say that I DELIBERATELY limited myself to the modern era the only player I can think of who has made the change well in the modern era is Brad Thorn, who (again) came over to earn his way into the All Blacks. Cross and Tahu still have a lot of work ahead of them.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Before people go on to mention people in history who've made the transition successfully, I'd like to say that I DELIBERATELY limited myself to the modern era the only player I can think of who has made the change well in the modern era is Brad Thorn, who (again) came over to earn his way into the All Blacks. Cross and Tahu still have a lot of work ahead of them.
    Sorry GIGS20, one more and probably more successful than Thornes and that is ofcourse Billy Whizz OBE..I'm sure he's modern era considering he retired a few weeks ago.

vCash
    Ohh you're right there Kenya, but does NH rugby compare?

Not being difficult, but it is a vastly different game than S14!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I think the difference between Crossy and the others is in the contract. .
    Crossy couldnt put a cut out on his grannies big chest

wombat who deserves to sit on the bench....
    True what has OR will cross do..

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/f.../dograce-2.jpg
    Dont take on anything until you are fully prepaired.
    Lack of drive will only see your demise