Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: Force vs Highlanders Live updates

vCash
    i'd like to give lawrence a penalty for foul play myself.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce View Post
    I'd like to bring us back to the first home win of the Force vs Hurricanes. If i remember correctly, Tana Umaga's try was almost similiar. He was 'tackled' but not held, and he just crawled for like 5m before dotting the ball down. So why did the ref then award the try and lawrence didnt?

But that being said, lets be glad we won the game. Bonus point or not, we're in the top 4 right now! WOOHOO!!!! Let's hope if considering our away record is pretty good, the home games are gonna be superb. I cant wait for 3 weeks of LIVE rugby and being able to watch it live and not on tv.

I really hope we beat the stormers, bulls and tahs. Esp the Tahs.
    Ohhhh Yeahhhh ESPECIALLY the 'Tahs!

C'mon the

vCash
    Thats cos your hairs on the line GIGS

don't worry though, i think it's safe bet

vCash
    Getting cocky boys? Damn, my hair is safe as houses in a Swiss bank vault

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    What no excuses yet Chook?

I'd have though Link would've taught you better, you need to start pulling the excuses out of the bag a couple of weeks before the game so people actually believe you on the big day!

C'mon the

vCash
    dont mean to bring up that blunder by lawrence again, but everywhere i look and read, everyone seems to agree its a terrible mistake. Even former wallabies, commentators, coaches and editors alike all have been saying its a bad mistake.

And watching it again, i didnt think it classified as a tackle. In fact, i likened it more to an ankle tap, a very big ankle tap. But even before spanners got onto the ground, the tackelr had already let go. And i think we're allowed to wriggle and reach out if we're ankle tap arent we? cos if not, i think WA refs need to get their games on then, cos they made about 15 bad mistakes in first grade alone last year.

vCash
    You're probably right GTF, the nub of the question is whether Spanner was considered to be tackled or not. Unfortunately this is more of a judgement call isn't it? Yo can't really compare one ref to another in this regard, it's more about whether Lawrence makes differing calls in similar situations.

C'mon the

vCash
    I'm confused - when I read Ecky's post I understood that the problem was that Stanners was on the ground - and that his choices were
    a: Get up on his feet and go forward or
    b: Pass the ball back

The try was denied because he was not on his feet when he grounded the ball on the good side of the line - Help I'm confused again

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    And i think we're allowed to wriggle and reach out if we're ankle tap arent we? cos if not, i think WA refs need to get their games on then, cos they made about 15 bad mistakes in first grade alone last year.
    You are allowed to reach out and pass/place/roll the ball, provided it is immediate. If you wriggle then it's obviously not immediately doing something with the ball. If you're ankle tapped then just get up again! Why wriggle/roll/squirm? Stand up son - rugby's much better when played on your feet.

......and I can't speak for my colleagues but I know my game's on and look forward to penalising you throughout the season!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    I'm confused - when I read Ecky's post I understood that the problem was that Stanners was on the ground - and that his choices were
    a: Get up on his feet and go forward or
    b: Pass the ball back

The try was denied because he was not on his feet when he grounded the ball on the good side of the line - Help I'm confused again
    Well.............he didn't get up on his feet, did he? That was (a) above. He had to get up off the deck. He didn't.

vCash
    but i think in spanner's case, he didnt have time to get up.I think in the ref's case, you guys want to be over the line on your feet watching us put the ball down. In the player's view, we just want to dot the ball down on the white line, whether on our feet or not.

ill get you to go to the TMO if it ever happens to me. =)
    and i understand the refs union is taking a hard stance on swearing in first grade games as well as chatting with the refs this year arent they?!
    I'll make sure i save my comments for after the game on this site. haha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Well.............he didn't get up on his feet, did he? That was (a) above. He had to get up off the deck. He didn't.
    I think that the point I was trying to make is that some refs might interpret Spanners actions differently. I have seen similar tries awarded, but don't believe that means this ref is wrong to have denied the try. Lawrence ruled correctly according to law assuming a couple of interpretation calls, a Was Spanners motion Immediate? b Did Spanner get up?
    In both cases we can assume the interpretation in Mr Lawrence's case was no! The only time I would argue a strict application of the rules (and that's exactly what this is as Ecky has so clearly explained) is if Mr Lawrence then goes on to interpret the rules more leniently in a later game, (ie if he calls a similar motion legal in another game)

This is not so different to many areas where refs are criticised by fans. In general, most fans can't argue with consistency, if the same guy makes the same call on both sides of the ball, consistently, then there's no issue there. Teams should now play Mr Lawrence as a ref who is particular about players being on their feet. If he continues to ref this way, FANTASTIC, the teams that like to play the game on the ground will suffer under his control and those who are skilled at playing and staying on their feet will thrive! If however he lets somebody who is knocked over but not tackled crawl to the line......then this becomes a bad call!

C'mon the

vCash
    but i think in spanner's case, he didnt have time to get up.I think in the ref's case, you guys want to be over the line on your feet watching us put the ball down. In the player's view, we just want to dot the ball down on the white line, whether on our feet or not.

ill get you to go to the TMO if it ever happens to me. =)
    and i understand the refs union is taking a hard stance on swearing in first grade games as well as chatting with the refs this year arent they?!
    I'll make sure i save my comments for after the game on this site. haha.
    1) What do you mean he didn't have to get up? He had time to crawl/squirm towards the goal line. If only he spent some of that time standing up......

2) I don't care whether or not I'm over the line; I care about whether I can see the ball being grounded. And how it was grounded.

3) TMO in Perth club rugby is some way off - more distant than a rectangular stadium, I'd guess.... and players don't ask the ref to go to it, the ref decides.

4) Swearing in any grade.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12