Page 136 of 149 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 146 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 2231

Thread: Terms of Reference for a Senate Inquiry into the Future of Rugby Union in Australia

vCash
    To: Community Affairs, Committee (SEN)
    Subject: Senate Affairs Enquiry into the Future of Rugby Union in Australia
    Date: Friday, 20 October 2017 2:21:55 PM
    20 October 2017
    The Chairman
    Community Affairs References Committee
    Senator Rachel Siewert
    Via email : community.affairs.sen@aph.gov.au
    Dear Senator,
    Senate Community Affairs References Committee
    Third Public Hearing for the Future of Rugby Union in Australia
    Unfortunately I must again write to you to correct a statement made by Mr Clyne,
    Chairman of the ARU, to the Senate Enquiry on 16th October 2017.
    1. Mr Clyne referred to a RugbyWA director being involved in the preparation of a
    report by Saltbush Capital where he said “In fact, the most recent of those strategic
    reviews, which was done by Saltbush Capital, actually had a Rugby WA director on
    it and specifically called for going to four teams”.
    2. I am the RugbyWA director to whom Mr Clyne is referring. I was asked by Saltbush
    Capital to assist them in their Financial and Organisation Review of the ARU. My
    position as a director of RugbyWA was disclosed to the ARU, prior to any
    involvement with the Saltbush Capital Review, and my participation was welcomed.
    3. Our Review was presented to the ARU board on, or about, 18th April 2013. A key
    finding of the Review was that “Super Rugby is not financially viable in its current
    form”, and we recommended to “Establish an ARU Super Rugby Taskforce now to
    develop a commercially viable competition for 2016”.
    There was no commentary in the Review about reducing the Australian teams from
    5 to 4.
    4. Mr Clyne’s comment above is simply false and misleading.
    Yours sincerely,
    David Vaux
    B.Juris (Hons), LL.B., MBA (London), FAICD

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The truth may set you free, but only evidence convicts

vCash
    Date: Thursday, 19 October 2017 12:45:42 PM
    19 October 2017
    The Chairman
    Senator Rachel Siewert
    Dear Senator,
    1. My name is David Vaux and I have been a director of RugbyWA (“RWA”) since June
    2. Whilst a West Australian, who learnt rugby at school in Perth and played
    subsequently at University of WA, I have, since 1981, lived in Sydney. I played with
    Sydney University and Waverley Rugby Club until 1995 when I retired from playing.
    I have since served on the Sydney University Football Club Foundation.
    3. My role as a director of RWA is to be a point of local contact between the ARU
    board and executive and the RWA board and executive. I have known members of
    the ARU board including Mr Cameron Clyne, Chairman, Mr Bill Pulver, CEO, and
    directors Mr John Eales and Mr Brett Robinson for some years.
    4. In Mr Clyne’s opening statement, made on public record to the Committee on 16th
    October 2017, Mr Clyne makes a number of false assertions.
    5. I am compelled to correct Mr Clyne’s evidence, in order that the Committee is not
    misled.
    6. Mr Clyne’s version of what he said to me on the telephone on Sunday 20th August
    2017 which he outlined to the Committee in his opening evidence , detailed below,
    is substantially untrue:
    Mr Clyne…“It has been falsely claimed during this enquiry that the ARU had made
    an offer to reinstate the Western Force if RugbyWA or Mr Forest would pay a sum
    of $70m to the ARU. This is a complete misrepresentation of what transpired, both
    in my telephone conversation with Mr Vaux and in the meeting with Mr Forest and
    his representatives in Adelaide.
    There was never a point in either conversation that a specific financial sum was
    discussed in relation to reversing the ARU board’s decision to remove the Western
    Force. In fact, rather than a specific figure, it was pointed out that financial support
    would need to be open ended, as a major element would be compensation for all
    teams, and broadcasters, given the inferior nature and higher cost of a 16 team
    competition.
    When pressed for a figure, I said it would likely exceed $100m, given the
    complexity involved, and even then, it was no guarantee our members, SANZAR or
    broadcasters would support it. That is the only figure ever raised, and it certainly
    was not a commitment, but merely an estimate, and certainly nothing was offered
    that came close.”
    7. The above statements by Mr Clyne do not accord with what he said to me, my
    notes and contemporaneous emails.
    8. I have a very clear recollection of our telephone conversation. At the time I was
    visiting my daughter on the Sunshine Coast and I had to excuse myself from a small
    gathering to take the call from Mr Clyne. I also took some notes of key points. The
    following is a summary of my telephone conversation with Mr Clyne and
    subsequent events :
    a) Mr Clyne called at 2.22pm on Sunday 20 August 2017 and said to me that the
    process of determining an Australian team to drop from the Super Rugby
    Competition had been very, very difficult for him, and that he was personally
    very hurt by media commentary and comments by Andrew Forest about his
    role and the ARU’s approach. He had been warned not to do business with Mr
    Forest and told not to trust him. However, notwithstanding these feelings, he
    had been instructed by his board to make a “Without Prejudice” proposal. He
    said that the ARU would retain the Western Force in the Super Rugby
    Competition on the following conditions :
    (i) Mr Forest would underwrite the Western Force’s financial position for
    the remaining 3 years of the Broadcasting Agreements, and an
    additional 5 years which would arise from the next cycle of Broadcasting
    Agreements;
    (ii) The Western Force would receive equal funding from the ARU to the
    other 4 Australian Super Rugby teams;
    (iii) To compensate the ARU for having to continue to provide an ongoing
    $6m contribution to the Western Force, Mr Forest would provide
    funding to the ARU for grass roots rugby for $6m a year over the 3 + 5
    year period, $48m in total;
    (iv) Mr Forest would provide SANZAR compensation for the additional costs
    of going from 15 to 16 teams, namely $20m; and
    (v) If this proposal was agreed to, then Mr Clyne and the rest of the ARU
    board would resign and a new board would appoint the next CEO.
    I asked Mr Clyne to clarify why he felt the 8 year period was appropriate. He said
    that if the Western Force were to be retained, then it would naturally be a
    consequence that they would be retained for the next broadcasting cycle as well. I
    queried with Mr Clyne, the commerciality of including the additional 5 years, as it
    was highly likely that the structure and funding of the Super Rugby Competition
    would be materially different, hence, due to this uncertainty, it was an
    unreasonable demand. He was however adamant about the 8 year period.
    I informed Mr Clyne that I would present his proposal to representatives of Mr
    Forest and also to the RWA Chairman, Mr Tony Howarth. Our call concluded at
    2.49pm.
    I returned to my gathering and informed them that I needed to be excused to
    make some further calls, as I had just been speaking to Mr Clyne, and I wanted to
    pass onto my West Australian colleagues details of a proposal he had made. I
    expressed hope that a settlement might be possible.
    9. During the course of the afternoon, I made phone calls to John Welborn, Mr
    Forest’s key representative, Mark Sinderberry, CEO of RWA, Tony Howarth,
    Chairman RWA and Geoff Stooke, ex-ARU director and adviser to RWA and Mr
    Forest.
    10. I sent a text to Mr Clyne at 6.04pm saying “Spoken to John who will discuss with
    Andrew. Will get back to you as soon as possible. Regards, David”.
    11. At 7.39pm that night I received an email from John Welborn confirming details of
    the discussion I had with Mr Clyne. A copy of Mr Welborn’s email which is a true
    and accurate summary of my conversation with Mr Clyne is set out below.
    12. I subsequently was informed that a meeting had been arranged in Adelaide for
    Tuesday 22nd August 2017 between Andrew Forest, John Welborn, Geoff Stooke
    and from the ARU, Cameron Clyne, John Eales and Brett Robinson.
    13. On Tuesday 22nd August 2017 at 7.06am I sent a text to Mr Clyne as follows :
    “I truly hope that today’s meeting is successful. In the best interests of Australian
    Rugby I’d like to suggest the following. Firstly ask AF to confirm that he will
    underwrite the financial security of the WF for the next 3 years and subject to
    some
    common sense safeguards, also for the next broadcasting cycle. Secondly instead
    of
    asking for $m to compensate the ARU which will be inflammatory I would simply
    thank him for his offer to provide support for Australian rugby and ask him what he
    has in mind. This is an unique opportunity to involve a billionaire offering help. If
    he
    asks for your ideas I suggest you put to him a discrete project such as the creation
    of
    an Australian Coaching Foundation which could be under the ARU with an
    independent board of expert trustees. The mission of the ACF is to become the
    global leader in RU coaching. The mandate is to improve coaching at both the
    community and elite levels for men and women’s 15’s, 7’s and indigenous rugby
    across Australia. The programs would be developed in collaboration with the ARU
    and member Unions and associates. The mantra would be that better coaches
    make
    better players. The ACF would be a very substantial, long term project. Obviously
    the costing would need to be determined, but if as part of an agreement to retain
    the Force, AF publicly commits to back the project then it will happen. If you feel
    you need a minimum $ figure to publicly disclose as part of a settlement I’d ask him
    for an amount. I would expect the commitment would be either a lump sum or
    over
    say 10 years. The establishment of the ACF will save the ARU and the SR unions
    millions and will achieve lasting performance and participation benefits. Yours in
    Rugby, David”
    I did not receive a reply from Mr Clyne.
    14. It was with great dismay that I later heard that the Adelaide meeting was a
    complete failure.
    15. I subsequently sent a text to Mr Clyne, Mr Eales and Mr Robinson at 9.38pm on
    22nd August as follows :
    “On Sunday Cameron put to me a proposal for 5 teams to be retained if AF backed
    the WF financially and for AF to donate $48m to the ARU and compensation for so
    called additional costs for SANZAR. Today you have rejected an Offer which would
    have addressed the first two aspects of Cameron’s proposal. The compensation
    point is highly debateable. To have turned your backs on AF’s offer is an appalling
    mistake. How can you continue to think that 4 teams will somehow return the ARU
    and Australian rugby to good health astounds me. To reject a $50m donation from
    AF, a proven generous donor, and think that is in the best interests of Australian
    rugby is a grave error. Are you sure that you are not now putting your own bias
    and
    hurt in the way of clear thinking. Please step back and review where things are,
    West
    Australia will fight on relentlessly. David”
    16. Neither Mr Clyne, Mr Eales nor Mr Robinson responded to deny Mr Clyne had
    made such an offer on behalf of the ARU or otherwise to correct any of the details
    as set out in the above text.
    17. I believe that my recollections above are a true and accurate account of the
    telephone conversation I had with Mr Clyne and subsequent events.
    Yours sincerely,
    David Vaux

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Wow in such deep dodo Mr Clyne!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    Date: Friday, 20 October 2017 2:21:55 PM
    20 October 2017
    The Chairman
    Senator Rachel Siewert
    Dear Senator,
    Unfortunately I must again write to you to correct a statement made by Mr Clyne,
    Chairman of the ARU, to the Senate Enquiry on 16th October 2017.
    1. Mr Clyne referred to a RugbyWA director being involved in the preparation of a
    report by Saltbush Capital where he said “In fact, the most recent of those strategic
    reviews, which was done by Saltbush Capital, actually had a Rugby WA director on
    it and specifically called for going to four teams”.
    2. I am the RugbyWA director to whom Mr Clyne is referring. I was asked by Saltbush
    Capital to assist them in their Financial and Organisation Review of the ARU. My
    position as a director of RugbyWA was disclosed to the ARU, prior to any
    involvement with the Saltbush Capital Review, and my participation was welcomed.
    3. Our Review was presented to the ARU board on, or about, 18th April 2013. A key
    finding of the Review was that “Super Rugby is not financially viable in its current
    form”, and we recommended to “Establish an ARU Super Rugby Taskforce now to
    develop a commercially viable competition for 2016”.
    There was no commentary in the Review about reducing the Australian teams from
    5 to 4.
    4. Mr Clyne’s comment above is simply false and misleading.
    Yours sincerely,
    David Vaux
    Holy fuck! He's fucked. He is in contempt. And he may now be going to jail, even if it is only for a few months.

vCash
    Ok can someone list the exact numbers of the new submissions and any submissions containing new additional documents. I have no idea whats new and what is old

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Number 20 is new and is a cracker - number 17 was name withheld and now has additional in camera documents - so nothing to see , but lots to suppose

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    Number 20 is new and is a cracker - number 17 was name withheld and now has additional in camera documents - so nothing to see , but lots to suppose
    Thanks so much. Gonna read them all now

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    please someone forward this to amirite at gagr

Senior Player
    vCash
    Is there any way to post that on The roar and see the reaction from the twat I mean twas?

vCash
    Not sure about a custodial sentence for Mr Cylne, that's probably a bridge too far. He will definitely be visited by ASIC in relation to ARU/MRRU dealing and financial reporting manipulation and failure to disclose relevant information.

The often discussed USD to AUD transactions is another point worth looking at as well as potential 'misappropriation' of funds (unit trusts etc).

Banned as a director is a stain that does not wash off.

BUT to get back on track....how has he managed the growth and sustainability of Rugby in Australia?

Unfair, biased, misleading, deceitful and unconstitutional action in relation to the Force .......yes

Its always a really bad sign (omen) if a company is in distress or about to go into liquidation or be investigated and the CFO resigns. Todd knows where the money went, he understands the money trail. He may have been bullied into agreeing the $6m to Cox, any CFO worth his salt (bush) would make his voice heard on the board and would not sign off on the Company financials. Todd could see what was coming and bolted.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Hey Lou where is this submission from David on the site?

vCash
    If the Senators believe he deliberately lied to them he is fucked. They take that very seriously.

vCash
    Wow, wow, wow, and wow! Boy do I have a big smile on my face ATM!

Champion
    vCash
    Did he think they would back him up? Be interested in seeing the transcript of what he said next to the above

vCash
    Holy fuck! He's fucked. He is in contempt. And he may now be going to jail, even if it is only for a few months.
    Unless my hearing is bad they were talking on the news about catching a 2 metre snake near Canberra.

Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    Ok can someone list the exact numbers of the new submissions and any submissions containing new additional documents. I have no idea whats new and what is old
    Click on additional documents and go to correspondence.

In regards to the submissions Alan Winney's was the most recent before number 20.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board