Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reds duo have yen for Japan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Ioane made the most meters out of any player in the Super14, he also lead the stats in a few other areas for australian players as well, all without playing the whole season.

I hardly call that hype, Mortlock has another 18months left in him max, Tahu is still a unproven product, Cross has a bit longer left in him then Mortlock but not by much, post 2011 the Wallabies should be looking at keeping players like Ioane for 2015 and before.

I can understand not offering McMenimen a whole lot, he is injury prone and there are other young candidates for the spot, but the ARU would have to be crazy to let Ioane go.
    You left out Rob Horne in that list... I see him as some huge competition for Ioane.

Digby I'm afraid is far far far too hot and cold for my liking. He also tries too hard to play everywhere and be everything and it takes away from his performance. Perhaps that's just with the Reds, where he feels his co-players are not competant, but he needs to focus on producing his best rugby on one position. He just tries too hard to do everything...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    McMeniman's Qld Reds profile says "I love rugby because I get to play for Queensland" apparently thats not enough though...With McMeniman & Ioane out of Australia & future Wallabies squad, it paves the way nicely for a few more of our boys to make their way into the squad on a more permanent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Slack
    "All Mooney has to do to be regarded as a super coach is retain Digby Ioane and Hugh McMenamin and recruit James O'Connor and Richard Brown. If it were only that simple." http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...003411,00.html
    If Andrew Slack's comments are correct Mooney is not going to be regarded as a super coach now. Digby & Hugh leaving, Brownie already signed with us and JO'C deciding between here & Brums...

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

McMeniman quits Australian rugby; Ioane to follow
    Peter Badel
    May 24, 2009 12:00am

THE Wallabies' World Cup plans have suffered a major setback with Queensland and Test forward Hugh McMeniman to quit Australian rugby at season's end.

And McMeniman's Reds teammate Digby Ioane will leave with him unless Test coach Robbie Deans succeeds in a late bid to keep the powerhouse outside back in Australia.

In a massive blow to embattled Queensland's hopes of a revival, McMeniman will shun a World Cup campaign in 2011 after fielding offers of more than $900,000 from French and Japanese clubs.

The star flanker told Reds coach Phil Mooney of his decision on Friday.

McMeniman - ruled out of this year's Wallabies program with an ankle injury - faced the prospect of sacrificing $1.24 million over two years had he committed to a new Australian Rugby Union deal.

The ARU's base offer, understood to be about $280,000 annually, was not unpalatable to McMeniman. But the financial strength of offshore clubs, combined with McMeniman's horror run with injury, convinced the veteran of 21 Tests to embark on a new challenge.

He is almost certain to play in Japan, but has not ruled out a stint in France.

The impending loss of McMeniman and Ioane - two Wallabies in their prime - should ring alarm bells at ARU headquarters as the governing body attempts to stem a player drain to cashed-up overseas outfits.

"Talks have broken down so I'll be pursuing my overseas interests. I've told the Reds I'm going," McMeniman said.

"I've spoken to Phil (Mooney) and naturally he's disappointed, but he's been good about it. He wished me well.

"Given my injuries, I can't complain too much about the ARU's offer, but it just doesn't get near the overseas offers.

"I haven't decided on a club yet. There's three or four clubs in the mix so I'll sort that out in the coming months."

The 25-year-old said he was gutted to be walking out on the Reds......

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...003411,00.html

vCash
    cant blame McMenimen for going, he stands to multiply his income x4, he would be a deadshit if he stayed

vCash
    I don't reckon Digby is overhyped. He's not the same butter-fingered player who left the Force a couple of years ago. But if 190,000 from the ARU plus his probable $180,000 from Qld, sponsorships and the lure of a Wallaby Jersey in 2011 isn't enough incentive to stay then good riddance. The money in Japan & Europe will mean more to a small number of players but they are unlikely to be the type who will dig deep & do whatever it takes to win for that jersey when it really counts.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Ioane made the most meters out of any player in the Super14, he also lead the stats in a few other areas for australian players as well, all without playing the whole season.

I hardly call that hype, Mortlock has another 18months left in him max, Tahu is still a unproven product, Cross has a bit longer left in him then Mortlock but not by much, post 2011 the Wallabies should be looking at keeping players like Ioane for 2015 and before.

I can understand not offering McMenimen a whole lot, he is injury prone and there are other young candidates for the spot, but the ARU would have to be crazy to let Ioane go.
    Rob Horne and Nick Cummins are two fantastic talents who in their first years have shown, if not more potential, at least better ball handling than Digby. Sure he may only end up with half of what he gets in Japan but that will be the end of his rugby career I would imagine.

McMeniman doesn't multiply his income by 4. He would get a base offer of 280,000 plus 150,000 Reds contract, 3,000 per game in the S14 (so say another 6,000 ) and 10,000 per Wallabies game. Plus any 3rd party he can pick up on the side. If he had a season where he plays *everything* he'd end up with close to 600,000 a year. It's more like 1.5.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Well you're not far off James. MMM missed 3 games early in the season on compassionate grounds when his Dad passed away and then missed about the last 4 games. So the Reds got him for 7 games or half a season - the most games he has played in a season for years.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Digby is talented but largely unnecessary.
    In the top lists for trys, line breaks, metres gained, go-forward and tackles, his form this year has been outstanding especially in a team on the backfoot. For your concerns on his catching... Comparing his 5 recorded losses of possession to your alternatives Turner (8) , Mitchell (17), AAC (8), Hynes (7), Tuqiri (11) and Shepherd (5) it doesnt look too bad. Yes he can be replaced, and with some qualitly players, but I'd imagine anyone who had legitimately watched his performances this year would agree that to say he is 'largely unncessary' is rediculous.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    He is unnecessary. Good though he may be we don't have a shortage of capable wingers or outside centres. Now if Digby was a fullback or a tighthead prop or a scrumhalf we might be telling a different story but we don't *need* him.

Rookie
    vCash
    [/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    He is unnecessary. Good though he may be we don't have a shortage of capable wingers or outside centres. Now if Digby was a fullback or a tighthead prop or a scrumhalf we might be telling a different story but we don't *need* him.
    We also have Smith, Pocock and Waugh at Openside in the Wallabies squad. Are you saying that because we have players like Brown, Salvi and a few other younger players in the ranks that if Smith and Pocock were to also decide to go they would become 'largely unncessary' too?
    Just because its a strongpoint in the Wallabies, you shouldnt become complacent and continue ignoring that its the depth that we have in different positions which makes it so strong. And if you continue letting these seemingly unnecessary players go wasted, in the long run it may come back to hurt us when we dont have the luxury of these types of players.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
    [/COLOR]

We also have Smith, Pocock and Waugh at Openside in the Wallabies squad. Are you saying that because we have players like Brown, Salvi and a few other younger players in the ranks that if Smith and Pocock were to also decide to go they would become 'largely unncessary' too?
    Just because its a strongpoint in the Wallabies, you shouldnt become complacent and continue ignoring that its the depth that we have in different positions which makes it so strong. And if you continue letting these seemingly unnecessary players go wasted, in the long run it may come back to hurt us when we dont have the luxury of these types of players.
    If Smith AND Pocock left that is different because it leaves just one capped player (Waugh) to play in the most critical position on the field these days. If it was just one of them going we would cope quite well without them.

What do you want the ARU to do Endurance? His initial offer was 'insulting', how much money do we have to throw at one player to keep him in Australia? We will continue to have the luxury of these types of players if the ARU uses the money they would be paying to someone with commitment issues on player development. Tough times call for tough measures and tough players. Someone who is insulted by the offer of a large amount of money to play sport for their country isn't worth our time or effort.

vCash
    I'm still hung up on how Digby could think $190,000 is an insult?

He is only 23, sure he displayed some great form this year and considering he will get more out of QRU and 3rd Party Deals (as someone earlier stated) which will push his earnings well beyond the average 23 year old

I can sort of understand MMM's decision based on his injury history

vCash
    It's insulting compared to what Lote had thrown at him a couple of years ago. Meantime, Lote's contribution to Australian rugby has also been insulting.

Champion
    vCash

What's wrong wioth thgese guys greed thats what Reds supporters must be gutted....... Digby $190K mate thats not a bad pay packet and ur living with your mum as requested when u left the Force

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    It's insulting compared to what Lote had thrown at him a couple of years ago. Meantime, Lote's contribution to Australian rugby has also been insulting.
    There are three things to consider about Lote.

1) Lote is a lot older and more experienced than Digby. Yeah sure in 5 years time if Digby continues to impress he should get a much better top up but as a 23 year old with very little international experience or international exposure 190,000 as one of his salaries is far from insulting.

2) Lote is a drawcard. I almost refused to speak to her again but I know a girl who said she only watches Rugby Union for Lote. Errggh. The fact is though that his presence attracts people. Whether it be to games or watching on TV. Whether it be league or union. If Lote is there he attracts attention. It is deserved? No. Does it mean he's a great player? Not really. But the end result is that the ARU make back the extra money they put into him.

3) Other teams identify Lote as a threat. In the first couple of seasons he played he was devastating and every time he touched the ball he did something pretty special with it. But now as a threat he is analysed left, right and centre and other teams pay particular attention to him. Therefore he doesn't have that same effect he used to have but he takes attention off of other players and allows them opportunities (how unselfish of you Lote ). Digby is currently in red hot form and as time goes on he too will become recognised as the threat he is and easier to shut down. Lote may be a bit down on form at the moment (it can't be easy being on form as a Waratah winger) but so could Digby next year or the year after or for however long his contract lasts for.

vCash
    Lote...

Ioane should take being underpaid (which I doubt he is being, I'd like 190K thankyou very much!) instead of turning out like Lote. Lote's contribution to ARU has been simply dismal, but James is right, Lote does have certain... things... that Ioane doesn't. James, that girl who likes Lote should be destroyed.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast