Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wests Down Kalamunda

vCash
    I would have thought a couple of penalties needed to be blown though, the Fijiian outside backs got away with a fair bit!

That being said, it was nice how targeting Giteau didn't break the Aussie team up as in previous years. It clearly highlighted that we, as a team, are fare more well rounded this year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
    Exile, unfortunately only saw the second half of the game. Understand that the Fijians were doing a bit of head-hunting in the first half and particularly targetting Giteau. He's a tough little bugger fortunately.

Probably a bit predictable as was the "roughening up" in the last quarter when the fijians knew it was all over.

These types of games are very difficult to manage as a referee and I thought the irish referee did a great job on the whole. He was left with the dilemma of being overly harsh early and perhaps adversely impacting the flavour of the rest of the game (don't forget he is being assessed and future appointments may hinge on his perceived performance in this match) versus giving the fijians the benefit of the doubt and hopefully being able to create a decent game of it.

You may have noted that there are very few red and yellow cards handed out in the early parts of rugby games and some players / coaches know this and play to it. Modern referee coaches generally coach to "manage" the situation rather than "bang" a player right upfront. I am old school and would have no hesitation in carding a guy early for taking an opposition player our dangerously or late.

The Wallabies did very well to maintain their discipline and keep the scoreboard ticking over.
    Greatly appreciate your thoughts Roy.

I was wondering if you could provide your interpretation of the Penalty Rocky Elsom received when he was tackled in the air whilst attempting to score a try. My initial reaction was that the Ref got it wrong big time.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    Need a half time wrap from Fulvio on how he sees the local comp going? Did an outstanding job last year.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I've just come back from three weeks overseas and missed four rounds of the season. Haven't had time to catch up with my spies and informants yet as to what direction things are travelling in, Hansie.

However I will see what my special little mole comes up with and give an assessment over the next two weeks. The info I get from Moley is usually pretty spot on.

It's not hard to see at this stage that the team to beat is Nedlands with Cott, Soaks and Paly not far behind.

It doesn't look as if any current top four team is invincible, and the strange thing about this year is that nearly every side is continuing to bring in new players, even this late in the season. This could change the balance markedly.

It will be interesting to see how the Perth Gold set up will pan out. If they tour, it will be for at least two weeks, covering two or three Saturdays, and with the number of players in the squad that Neddies have, may cost them a game or two. Even if they don't tour, it will probably take players out for the game weekends anyway.

vCash
    Excuse me.

I didn't know I was on a pedestal.

I am flattered, thanks!

I have no wish to be on it. If I did have that wish I'd really rather not share someone else's pedestal.

Thanks. Carry on:

I haven't seen any club rugby (other than some U18 stuff) so cannot usefully contribute to the queries about what may or may not be wrong with any particular team.

Going on hearsay, however, there does seem to be a Great Divide betwen the top few and the bottom few. I gather from one of my sauces that Rick's write up of the Uni Rocky game was a brilliant production of a silk purse from a sow's ear. Which is, as I have commented before, one of Rick's (many) talents.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    I suspect Fulvio's "mole" is "The Oracle". or maybe Fulvio is The Oracle!

Who is this Fulvio guy anyway and why is he an expert?

Rookie
    vCash
    "I was wondering if you could provide your interpretation of the Penalty Rocky Elsom received when he was tackled in the air whilst attempting to score a try. My initial reaction was that the Ref got it wrong big time."

Exile,

This is a fuzzy part of Law Interpretation in that the Elsom scenario is not clearly addressed in the Law Book. Jumping in the air in an attempt to score a try is legal however by raising his knees as he did, Elsom created a potentially dangerous situation for the tackler.

Whilst most people would have had the same reaction as you, ie what was wrong with that, the referee deemed it dangerous play (combined with a touch of "against the spirit of the game") and penalised Elsom accordingly. Refer Law 10. It is the same as if Elsom had been running and raised his knees as the tackler came in for the tackle.

The Law Book focusses on what the tackler cannot do in tackling or attempting to tackle an opposition player and is scant on detail re the ball carrier's responsibilities. Good question.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    My reading of it was he was actually jumping over the fallen player, not the tackler, and it was just an unfortunate timing of being tackled while still in the air.
    Did look bloody funny though.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'm with Burgs, I thought he was penalised for jumping into the tackle, thus putting himself into a dangerous position.....the Ref's explanation when Sharpie questioned the decision didn't help......"Dangerous" (and I quote)

It could have been dangerous because he lifted his knees, dangerous because he put himself into a position to be cackled in a dangerous manner, or dangerous because his action caused him to fly at the tackler's head unexpectedly......in short, the Ref didn't clarify to me exactly how he could have changed his motion to make it safer.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So to summarise Gigs, he got Penalised for undefinable stupidity, the Ref knew it was kinda wrong but couldn't put his finger on the correct Law

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2