Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies vs Ireland Player Ratings

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Horwill was awesome, if he keeps that workrate up he'll be partnering Vicks in the 3N, with Mumm keeping the utility bench spot. Can't wait!

Smith had a good first half, he and Palu should have been subbed at 50 minutes. When the halfback is getting tackled at the back of the maul you've gotta look at your back row.

I don't see the point in playing Cross and Mortlock - he only plays 13 and we're not going to sub off the captain while fit. Rather we should have someone who can cover a few positions ; specifically we need a plan b for fullback - I'm thinking SNK, Gerrard or Turner.

By the time we get to the 3N, Brown will have a spot on the bench in place of Waugh, so there is no need to have Mumm on there.

Horwill played pretty good, but lets face it, he'll have to do alot better than that to knock Vickerman or Sharpe out of the starting 15. Only one player can be lifted in the lineout. Vickerman is probably the best in the world at lineout time. So Horwill won't get any chances there. And Sharpe is better at driving the ball forward for a quick couple of metres. I'd like to see Horwill on the bench though, he offers a lot more than Mumm ever will.

As for Cross, I have no doubt that he could play 12 or 13. Especially with Giteau at 10. They have played enough together that even though Cross hasn't played many games at 12 he could adjust quite quickly. Didn't Cross also have a game or two on the wing earlier this year?

I think the plan B for fullback is Hynes. He's just keeping the jumper warm for Mitchell, so when he comes back they'll put Hynes on the bench in place of AAC. SNK and Gerrard aren't even in the team so I doubt they are going to get a look in this year, unless there are injuries.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    GTF, I'm with you.
    Me, I thought Smith got through a fair bit of work. Lote was very good, Burgess was crisp, Gits composed, Palu lazy, Rocky good, Mortlock average etc etc.

Props were awful against an average scrum. I can't see others coming in, rather they'll persevere with what they've got but get them sorted technically. there's little doubt they are strong enough. Very hard to set a good platform if your've got 'issues' that far up front. Time is of the essence.

I would have loved to see Cross get a run but it wasn't one of those games and Mortlock wasn't that bad. His time will come.

On an entirely different note; An ex team-mate of Josh Tatupu made his NRL debut for the Broncos yesterday. Kaine Manihera played for our 16s winning team (West Melton Rugby Football Club) 5 years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Props were awful against an average scrum. I can't see others coming in, rather they'll persevere with what they've got but get them sorted technically. there's little doubt they are strong enough. Very hard to set a good platform if your've got 'issues' that far up front. Time is of the essence.
    I wouldn't call the Munster pack average - they just won the Heineken Cup on the basis of a dominant forwards display. 7 Munster forwards are in the Irish starting 8.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/7408444.stm

vCash
    i think your ratings are a fair reflection of the way each player went.

Tuqiri was good all night. I was pleased to see him get back in defense and get stuck into mauls and rucks which a winger his size should. Plus that rib-tickler he put on Flannery bout 77 mins, was a great hit, would've hurt bad.

vCash
    i think it was pretty close to what i would have said... in most cases.
    mortlock was more like a 5 in my books... and smithy was more like a 7.5 but otherwise, pretty good ratings

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Horwill was awesome, if he keeps that workrate up he'll be partnering Vicks in the 3N, with Mumm keeping the utility bench spot. Can't wait!

I'm thinking SNK, Gerrard or Turner.
    Moses you may as well reel your fishing line back in everyone is already hooked on what Tahbar said about Firepower. No fish here .

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    What can you say scrappy game and weak again in the front row.

vCash
    And i doubt the front row will change much.
    If we look at it, there's not really a huge change available. Yeah, we can bring in Nic Henderson and Guy Shepherdson and the likes. But even they struggled against the Samoan scrum, and to a lesser extent, the Japanese scrum in Aus A game.
    Let's be serious, we're not going to be a dominant force in the scrums in the near future. There's no point changing these guys. Best way to go around doing it is to just get someone in to improve.
    I doubt Robbie Deans or Jim Williams can help it. To help a prop, you need a prop to step in and assist. I say, get Bill Young or maybe one of the retired english props to come in as Front Row Coach.

Regarding the ratings, to each his own opinion. We're all seeing through different coloured clouds. I'm definitely going to support Cross at ouside centre because i think he had the season to prove for it. Same with Tuquiri, Hynes, Palu, Smith etc. Let's hope Robbie is just trying out different players so that we get the right mix against the ABs and SA. I'm willing to lose or do badly in these friendly games, if it means we beat both ABs and SA in the tri nations.
    In the end, it's not as if Robbie Deans is logging on this site, and taking our advice in his coaching.....or is he?!?!

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    I will agree with most of our posts re our performance. We were lucky we werent playing England cause they would of shoved us around the park all night. We need to get a front row quickly, cause it needs changing now. Id rather put up with a young
    crew up front and wear the pain for awhile. God knows we have had the same shite for years. Trestle, Fatty, Moore , Robinson. Its got to stop otherwise we are stuffed for another 5 years.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce View Post
    In the end, it's not as if Robbie Deans is logging on this site, and taking our advice in his coaching.....or is he?!?!
    if he is... ROBBIE... youve got a name like me, so you should think like me. so PICK DREWWW!!!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    if he is... ROBBIE... youve got a name like me, so you should think like me. so PICK DREWWW!!!
    How can ya argue with logic like that???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    No I'm not.
    I elsewhere grudgingly gave Tuqiri praise for his match but he was nowhere near 1.5 away from being perfect.
    If he played for the Reds he would get nowhere near the praise he gets playing for the Tahs.
    Each to their own opinion, I'll bare it in mind for your future match reviews.
    Pretty fair effort at fishing there Burg-o-meister!! Close to chook standards actually. 6.5 out of 10.

gagger, you should be congratulated. Even the great Burgs hangs on your every word.

VOTE 1 FOR GAGGER!!! WORLDS BEST RUGBY BLOGGER
    (see sig)

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    How can ya argue with logic like that???
    hahaha tell robbie!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce View Post

Mortlock is past his peak, but that doesnt mean he's crap. He still gets us over the advantage line and still gets most of his tackles in. Maybe time to bring in some new blood in Ryan Cross and see how he fares there..
    X is a useless Mungo. Shouldnt even be on the bench. Born and bred Union players only thank you. Horny is the man for that posi

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Oh, and Sharpe was poo. Get 'im off too.

Gigsa made me do it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast