Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: John Eales Medallists and the Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    What an impressive person he is. He's been the heart and soul of the Force. Now he's going out as a true champion and IMO the equal of John Eales with daylight second. Should have been skipper immediatly after Gregan and the only reason he wasn't was payback for heading West.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    great to see a bit of west Aussie parochialism creeping in

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Controversy corner

vCash
    What an impressive person he is. He's been the heart and soul of the Force. Now he's going out as a true champion and IMO the equal of John Eales with daylight second. Should have been skipper immediatly after Gregan and the only reason he wasn't was payback for heading West.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Full credit to Sharpe, great player and ambassador for the game and will go down as one of the Wallabies great players.

But he isnt the equal of Nobody... Eales won two RWC's and was captain at one of them, Eales was the highest scoring test forward in history including 'that kick' to win the 2000 Bledisloe. He had 85 test caps and 112 state caps starting from a era where these teams didn't play nearly as much.

As for daylight second? little insulting to these blokes: http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/Th...allofFame.aspx

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Full credit to Sharpe, great player and ambassador for the game and will go down as one of the Wallabies great players.

As for daylight second? little insulting to these blokes: http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/Th...allofFame.aspx
    I mentioned that it took a long time for people to get over him heading to Perth. In my opinion he's the equal of Eales as a leader - stats have nothing to do with that.

An insult. Really? I have a book called " Born to Lead''. It lists all the Wallaby skippers up till 2005 and gives a précis of each careeer. Nathan is the last entry. I've read it - a couple of times. I doubt any of them are so thin skinned.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Different style of players

You wouldn't see Eales hitting it up into the teeth of the allblacks one off the ruck

Eales was incredibly athletic for a large man. His lineout work was very good but they are probably on par in terms of lineout skills

Equal as great leaders.

My only criticism of Sharpie was that he always died with the ball making hime an easy target. He never realy developed an offloading game.

It's academic. Eales was a wallaby great. Sharpe is a wallaby great. Different style of players from different eras. Comparisons are unfair

Controversy corner

vCash
    What's got into you lately Rex? All this logic with not hyperbole and not a single dead set?

Dot you hit it a bit hard last night and turn into a human?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Depends if he is talking Locks or players in general.
    There are only two other Locks other than Eales in the Hall of Fame in Shehadie and White, with Shehadie in for his exceptional Propping. Having never heard of White spoken in generational glowing terms like a Catchpole, Ella or Loane, I would say that it is a pretty accurate statement.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I mentioned that it took a long time for people to get over him heading to Perth. In my opinion he's the equal of Eales as a leader - stats have nothing to do with that.

An insult. Really? I have a book called " Born to Lead''. It lists all the Wallaby skippers up till 2005 and gives a précis of each careeer. Nathan is the last entry. I've read it - a couple of times. I doubt any of them are so thin skinned.
    Him moving to the Force didn't come into the equation...
    Purely looking at it from an outsiders perspective, I rate Sharpe on the same level as Mortlock.. Both will go down as very good players and captains of the modern era. Australian rugby was lucky to have players of their standard.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2