Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ARU drops ball as foreign clubs raid Wallabies

vCash
    Thought he signed for only one year (ie 2011) and after the World Cup would be "considering his options".

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    His options would surely be based on how good a World Cup he (or the Wallabies) has.....or what Stephanie wants to do!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Player
    vCash
    How the league journos are desperate to deflect any attention away from the sorry state of the NRL. Agreed that baring Gitts, there will be a number of the old heads heading to finish their careers is style and who would deny them. The young guns will stay as I would hope that the lure of the Green and Gold would see them through until the next world cup and lions tour at least.

vCash
    Just on the two player mentioned that possibilities to move over to the faster code.

From League circles, Berrick Barnes has been rumoured to join the Brisbane Broncos as a possible replacement for Legend Darren Lockyer for when he retires soon. Berrick of course starting his career with the Broncos before moving over to the QLD Reds.

Kurtley Beale has been rumoured on again off again, I don't see him switching codes though.

Veteran
    vCash
    i don't see barnes staying on either, he is still on the edges of wallabies glory, and is (in my opinion) better than the current 12, and capable enough as the 10 too. he did come on as a really late replacement for larkim... (sp??)

vCash
    I hate how the RWC is the be all and end all. Fuck Bill! Id rather be bledisloe champs every year for the 4 years between rwc's.
    Theres heaps more to achieve wearing the green and gold then RWC.

vCash
    Each to their own...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Moore denying he is off to France Wayne Smith From: The Australian January 25, 2011 12:00AM Increase Text SizeDecrease Text SizePrintEmail Share
    Add to DiggAdd to del.icio.usAdd to FacebookAdd to KwoffAdd to MyspaceAdd to NewsvineWhat are these?WALLABIES hooker Stephen Moore has denied he already has signed with Paris club Racing Metro while Australian Rugby Union officials will meet with Drew Mitchell later this week in a bid to fight off French offers for the mercurial winger.
    And there was further encouraging news for Australian rugby yesterday with Test second-rower Nathan Sharpe, arguably the Wallabies' most consistent player last year, ruling out both a move overseas and a retirement announcement at the end of this season.

"I'm not looking to go overseas," Sharpe, 32, told The Australian yesterday. "I was toying with this season being my last but I still feel I have something to offer Australian rugby and I'd like to play at least one more year after this, with the Western Force ideally."

Sharpe underwent hastily arranged surgery on Friday after being diagnosed with a hernia and although he is hoping he will recover in time to lead the Force in its opening match against the Queensland Reds at Suncorp Stadium on February 20, the fact that the Perth side has the bye the following week might prompt medical staff to hold him back until the third sound of Super rugby.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    Related CoverageInjured Sharpe to go under the knife
    Courier Mail, 8 minutes ago
    Moore in for long haul with Wallabies
    The Daily Telegraph, 1 hour ago
    Ashley-Cooper is ACT's priority
    FoxSports, 3 days ago
    Giteau to walk out on Wallabies
    FoxSports, 4 days ago
    Japanese club spends big on Smith
    The Daily Telegraph, 29 Dec 2010
    .End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    Moore was angered by a weekend report he had decided to quit the Wallabies at the end of the World Cup in October to join Racing Metro.

"It's incorrect," Moore told The Australian yesterday. "There has been nothing signed. I'm still negotiating, firstly with the ARU and then with a few clubs over in Europe. I spoke to the ARU in early January about the French offers and when we sat down they indicated their desire for me to stay.

"I'd like to get this settled before the Super rugby season gets under way. I'll be pushing to get it sorted quickly but it's a difficult decision. The French clubs do things a little earlier but the ARU has tabled an offer reasonably quickly so that process is underway."

Although high-performance unit manager David Nucifora is heavily involved in the process of prioritising which players the ARU wants to keep for the short, medium and long-term, it makes sense to hold him at arm's length from direct negotiations given that he is a contender for the Wallabies' coaching position next year if Robbie Deans is not re-appointed.

Mitchell, who has been linked most strongly to Biarritz but could yet be lured to Toulon, especially if close friend Matt Giteau chooses that club ahead of Bayonne, admitted negotiations were coming to a head but insisted nothing would be resolved within the next couple of days.

"I'm not under any sort of pressure to that extent," Mitchell said.

"I haven't spoken to the ARU yet but hopefully that will happen by the back end of the week and things will get a little bit clearer."

Mitchell, who scored three tries in the Wallabies' final Test of the season against France in Paris to bolster his negotiating position in both countries, conceded the uncertainty over who would be coaching the Wallabies next year was weighing on his mind.

"It's going to be a factor," he said. "Who's going to be coaching you comes into consideration."

The worry for Australia is that the players so aggressively being targeted by French clubs represent the middle generation of Wallabies. Moore is only 28, Rocky Elsom is 27, Mitchell, Adam Ashley-Cooper and Luke Burgess all 26, which means the experienced core of the Test side could be ripped out after the World Cup.

"It's important we hold on to those 'middle-aged players' because they've got the experience," insisted Waratahs coach Chris Hickey.

"That's a quality that can't be immediately replaced."
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225993879766

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "I'm not looking to go overseas," Sharpe, 32, told The Australian yesterday. "I was toying with this season being my last but I still feel I have something to offer Australian rugby and I'd like to play at least one more year after this, with the Western Force ideally."

Exactly what he told us at the POTY's

vCash
    I really like the 'with the western force ideally' line it seems to imply he doesn't think they'd throw fort Knox at him if there was a suggestion he wouldn't stay.

Before anybody criticizes me for suggesting that a man of his age is worth big bucks..........2010............that's all I'm gunn a say!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post

Exactly what he told us at the POTY's
    I said a while ago that I thought he would stay on a bit. I believe it was met by a great deal of skepticism from TOCC.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Player
    vCash

Sharpe to Stay After the World Cup

And there was further encouraging news for Australian rugby yesterday with Test second-rower Nathan Sharpe, arguably the Wallabies' most consistent player last year, ruling out both a move overseas and a retirement announcement at the end of this season.

Sharpe underwent hastily arranged surgery on Friday after being diagnosed with a hernia and although he is hoping he will recover in time to lead the Force in its opening match against the Queensland Reds at Suncorp Stadium on February 20, the fact that the Perth side has the bye the following week might prompt medical staff to hold him back until the third sound of Super rugby.

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 25-01-11 at 07:29.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Should have watched the POTY video Farva....he told us that then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I said a while ago that I thought he would stay on a bit. I believe it was met by a great deal of skepticism from TOCC.
    Its usually polite to quote someone on such things...

If he stays, he wont be offered much from the ARU, rightfully there priorities should be focused on the younger brigade...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Too far back to remember exactly when the post was and I couldn't find it, but I believe it was something to the effect of...

James: I wouldn't be surprised if Sharpie stayed for 2012.
    TOCC: I would be very surprised if that happened.

My apologies for the e-faux pas.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast