Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who's Afraid Of The Dark?

vCash
    I was always too drunk to get floozies

Happy to attend night games

Clubs with small budgets might not be able to allocate money for night lights

Perhaps they prefer to make sure their juniors having playing jerseys and match balls and tackling bags for training etc.

If so, it sounds like a great club with it's principles sorted

Night games are essentially to increase bar sales for the benefit of the club. Fair call.

However, you can increase top line or reduce costs.

More assumptions than a Canberra budget........

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Controversy corner

Senior Player
    vCash
    Some good thoughts there Rex and I agree for most clubs.

We are talking about Nedlands here though where money is no object. No-one's asking Nedlands to pay a cent erecting lighting suitable for night games. I think the question is why do they refuse to participate in night games at other venues?

A real mystery.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm sure Hansie won't object to a night grand final;because sure as hell,we are no good playing them in the daytime

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Where is Hansie anyway, haven't see him lately?

He hasn't done an italian sea captain and jumped ship I hope.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Champion
    vCash
    Don't you just love it.

When, as a PSA coach I fought hard for night games as it was a spectacle and the day started around midday with year 8's and ended around 8:30pm after 1st XV. It brought the whole Rugby cohort together and in fact also brought hockey and footy boys down to watch. We had some memorable games against Scotch and Aquinas at Pally.

Friday nights for club create a different situation, it would only be possible to play 2 games.

O.K. so who do we choose out of our club of 6 or 7 teams to play 1st and 2nd grade of course.

Very few 3rd, 4th and under 20 players would make the journey on a friday night to Pallies, even though they have wonderful lights, best vista, superb followers and players, gentlemen all round.

Then on the Saturday we play the rest of the teams, and, no matter how it is dressed, a few 1st and 2nd graders would come and watch and support the boys playing on Saturday.

So we now send a strong signal to the membership of the club. Sorry third graders, 4th's and under 20's the usual group of supporters you have on a Saturday are too hung over to come and watch you.

Sorry Fulvio - we have a motto. Club First, Team second, Individual third.

Our whole second and first grade team come in droves to watch 4ths, 3rds and under 20's on every Saturday, likewise many of our 3rd, 4th and under 20's stay back to watch 2nds and 1sts. As does our 3rd half of supporters. Whether at Pallies or home on a Saturday we stand united as a club.

No not prima donnas on Friday nights and has beens on Saturday, but one united club.

So Mate, photophobia, scared of the dark - I am BUT Neddies as a club ( meaning the whole club) I definately am.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Thank God you're alive oh glorious leader.

Not sure that the Thirsty Thirds have ever had "droves" watching us; we're usually playing on No.2 field. Perhaps the word "droves" in Africaans means 3 men and a dog.

Have never seen a 1st grader watching us except for the grand final last year and the 2nds aren't there because they are preparing for their game at the same time we play. A few ex 1st graders maybe.

Rookie
    vCash
    If my memory serves me correct the Aquinas vs Wesley games were played under lights on a Friday evening, 1st XV only and the rest of the Wesley games were played elsewhere on Saturday morning.

They were fantastic advertisements for the game and attended by hundreds of kids from each school, siblings, friends, parents and general rugby followers. A credit to the organisers and a shame that tradition has not continued.

In the last game I recall, Zack Holmes scored an end to end try in the last play of the game for Aquinas to win the game against Wesley. Very exciting stuff, nearly spilt my glass of red as I recall.

If my memory is correct Hansie, doesn't this support the view that Friday Night games under lights are a winning formula? Presumably Fulvio is not talking about every Friday night but 2 or 3 games in the earlier part of the season when the weather is warmer would be appropriate.

I know Rugby WA favours Night Games early in the season but won't over ride the clubs that resist - well there's only one club that resists - Nedlands.

PS You may need to bring this Darkness guy into line. Can't have recalcitrants in the ranks old boy!

vCash
    darkness was only trying to show Hansie the light;however he will be hunted down & cemented into the foundations of the new clubhouse no doubt

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    darkness was only trying to show Hansie the light;however he will be hunted down & cemented into the foundations of the new clubhouse no doubt
    I believe there is a fulvio size cavity available in the RugbyWA foundations should it be required. Quite roomy too apparently...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Well, it has been said that I've been a pillar of community rugby in this State....

PillAR, not pillOCK, smart arse!

Last edited by fulvio sammut; 18-01-12 at 21:04.

vCash
    Fulvio is one of those props that loves the chip and chase

Controversy corner

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Very few 3rd, 4th and under 20 players would make the journey on a friday night to Pallies, even though they have wonderful lights, best vista, superb followers and players, gentlemen all round.

I must remember to check if your tongue is forked next time I see you at the club Hansie. What's this thing with you and Pally anyway? You may have inadvertently contracted Pallyphobia in your travels.

The best night game experience I have had was at Perth-Bayswater; they have good lights and put on good hospitality. And Wanneroo have good lights now and an improved ground surface - would be great to watch the Neddies boys in action at various grounds under lights. I just don't get it - maybe thats why you're the President and I'm merely a humble club member.

With our new clubrooms we need to get into this century - the more night games the better. Next project for Neddies should be decent floodlights.

Champion
    vCash
    Let me confirm one thing.

I am not anti lights nor playing under lights. I am not in favour of splitting up the club.

Oh...and for the records...it's not about me...it's the decision of the entire committee, I am the focal point but not the decision maker. It's about Neddies.

vCash
    I'm sure the club has tried to upgrade the lighting before but ran into problems with the council,or more specifically, Trefor's neighbors

Senior Player
    vCash
    So Fulvio was right; it all comes back to Trefor!

He probably started that brawl at Soaks under lights as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast