Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Force v Reds Round 18 - the never speak of last week thread.

vCash
    Still one ticket available for the Reds game! PM me.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    ST.GEORGE QUEENSLAND REDS TEAM TO PLAY WESTERN FORCE IN PERTH

St.George Queensland Reds centre Samu Kerevi will make his run-on debut for Queensland, in one of three changes to the starting team ahead of this weekend’s clash against the Western Force in Perth.

A continuation of the Reds’ horror run of injuries has forced all three changes, with last week’s starters Greg Holmes (knee), Dom Shipperley (ankle) and Anthony Fainga’a (calf) all ruled out of this week’s match.

Kerevi will start at outside centre, with Ben Tapuai shifting to inside. Ben Daley returns to the starting lineup at loosehead prop, with James Slipper shifting to tighthead, after Holmes was ruled out of this weekend’s match due to a knee complaint. Lachie Turner will start on the wing in place of Shipperley, who suffered a season-ending fracture-dislocation of his ankle last weekend.

The Reds are also without the services of Quade Cooper (shoulder/hip), Will Genia (ankle), Chris Feauai-Sautia (shoulder), Aidan Toua (pectoral), Eddie Quirk (knee) and Liam Gill (Australian Sevens duties). In all, there are currently seven players with Wallabies experience unavailable for selection.

The injuries have forced Reds head coach Richard Graham to make significant changes to last weekend’s replacements bench as well, with four players set to make their debut for the Reds if called upon during the match.

Reds wider training squad members Sef Faagase (prop), Tim Buchanan (back row), Scott Gale (scrumhalf) and Sam Johnson (centre) are all uncapped for Queensland and have been named in this week’s 23. Should they take the field on Saturday, that will move the total Reds debutants in 2014 to eight.

Graham praised the players who have been given an opportunity in this weekend’s match.

“After an injury plagued pre-season and more time on the sidelines following the trials, Samu (Kerevi) has made good progress,” he said.

“It has been evident in his two games that he continues to develop and understands how he can contribute to the team doing well. A large part of that is the work he does off the ball, the work that tends to go unnoticed by everyone other than his teammates.

“We have the possibility of awarding another four debutants with their first Queensland cap this weekend. All four have been part of our Wider Training Squad this year and have made significant contributions to our Rugby programs.

“It would be great reward for Buchie’s (Tim Buchanan) perseverance and persistence if he gets onto the field. He has been part of the Reds programs and playing at UQ (University of Queensland) since 2006.

“Sef (Faagase) has had a taste of game day but never got onto the field against the Highlanders. Sammy (Johnson) was a strong contributor in the Reds A run to the final of the Pacific Rugby Cup and Scotty (Gale) has been with us or the Under-20s programs since October last year. I am extremely confident in all of them making strong contributions to our performance in Perth this weekend.”

Graham said the squad continued to push for a strong finish to the season, despite the considerable disruption due to ongoing injuries.

“I am really pleased with the way we have continued to work hard and looked for ways to improve,” he said.

“That the squad are finishing the season strongly is a good sign. Our past two performances have demonstrated a more abrasive approach around the contact and a more consistent use of the width in our attacking game.

“Whilst our run of injuries hasn’t been ideal, it has presented a number of the training group with playing opportunities. That in itself is exciting for us as a squad and the energy and intensity at training has been exceptionally good. We are determined to finish our season in good fashion.

“The Force are a good team. They have had a solid season to date and have played a disciplined style of Rugby. They will see this game as an opportunity to get one foot into the finals campaign.”

The Reds and Force have met 11 times in the history of Super Rugby. Queensland has won six, lost four and drawn one.

The Reds play the Western Force this Saturday 5 July at nib Stadium at 7:40pm (EST).

St.George Queensland Reds team to play the Western Force
    1. Ben Daley
    2. James Hanson
    3. James Slipper
    4. Rob Simmons
    5. James Horwill (C)
    6. Curtis Browning
    7. Beau Robinson
    8. Jake Schatz
    9. Nick Frisby
    10. Ben Lucas
    11. Lachie Turner
    12. Ben Tapuai
    13. Samu Kerevi (run-on debut)
    14. Rod Davies
    15. Mike Harris

16. Saia Fainga’a
    17. Albert Anae
    18. Sef Faagase (potential debut)
    19. Dave McDuling
    20. Tim Buchanan (potential debut)
    21. Scott Gale (potential debut)
    22. Sam Johnson (potential debut)
    23. Jamie-Jerry Taulagi

Fact file on potential debutants
    Name: Tim Buchanan

Position: Back row/lock

Club: University of Queensland

School: St. Joseph’s Nudgee College

DOB (age): 20/04/1988 (26)

Height: 193cm

Weight: 109kg

Rep honours/notables: Won two Premier Grade titles with UQ in 2010 and 2012, 2012 Tony Shaw Medallist (best on ground in Premier Grade final), son of former Australian cricket coach John Buchanan.

Name: Sef Faagase
    Position: Prop
    School: Shailer Park State High School
    DOB (age): 05/03/1991 (23)
    Height: 185cm
    Weight: 115kg
    Rep honours/notables: ARU National Academy (2012).

Name: Scott Gale

Position: Scrumhalf

School: St. Joseph’s Nudgee College

DOB (age): 24/10/1994 (19)

Height: 184cm

Weight: 88kg

Rep honours/notables: Queensland Schoolboys (2011), Captain Queensland Under 20s (2014), part of Australian Under 20s training squad in 2014 before being injured.

Name: Sam Johnson

Position: Centre

Club: GPS
    School: St. Edmund’s College, Ipswich

DOB (age): 19/06/1993 (21)

Height: 184cm

Weight: 102kg

Rep honours/notables: Queensland Schoolboys (2011), Australia A Schoolboys (2011), Gold Coast Titans Under 20s (2012-13)

vCash
    Wow...I've just put my votes in for the game against the Blues.....how quickly we forget...

Were the TWF Members who voted actually at the game???

Hodgo has a game high 19 tackles (10 more than any other WF player) at his normal 91% efficiency, 2 turnovers, and 16 runs for 32m in a losing team. Neither of his 2 penalties directly resulted in points.

We then find out after the game that he played more than half the game with concussion - after having been knocked out twice during the match - but amazingly didn't lose his effectiveness. Despite this, Charles' try resulted directly from his quick restart - when Hodgo must have been working on instinct!

IMO to see him ranked at 5.2 behind people who did a hell of a lot less in the game against the Blues is an absolute travesty.

The stats confirm the effort shown on the day.
    Hodgo's tackle count was about the same as the combined WF Front Row (including replacements) (20) and the combined other back rowers (including replacements) (20) and more than the combined locks (including replacements) (11).
    His carries made more m than the combined front row, or the combined Locks, or his combined fellow back rowers. Only Hayward and Rasolea made more m.

$%^&*#@ hard taskmaster TWF....

I understand that Hodgo only got the nod from the medicos for the Reds game today (Thursday). I hope that he's OK.

I suggest that TWF contributors should let your frustrations go on those who didn't turn up against the Blues rather than our Captain who continued to put in despite adversity and the serious number of no-shows from the WF on the day.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 03-07-14 at 16:38.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Were the TWF Members who voted actually at the game???.
    well, actually, I WAS at the game, maybe my desolation was the problem.i usually rush straight back home to watch the game, which I recorded, but I didn't. Those stats about Hodgeo don't really surprise me, but I didn't see any of it at the ground (no surprise, I usually miss a lot at the ground) and without watching the replay, I just didn't know.

I know feel like a heel, because I was one of those who besmirched Hodgeo so unfairly, sorry Captain, I'll try to make up for it this week.

C'mon the

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2