Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Force Squad Annouced for Brumbies Clash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Grant View Post
    Good to see DHP getting a start: he had a good club season in Sydney and I hope he makes every post a winner until Cummins comes back. Hopefully sometime, some year, we will see him at fullback where I first saw him as a schools player, just to see if he can do what he did there when he was younger.
    I haven't seen a lot of Dane, but the couple of times I've seen him playing on the big stage (junior World Cup and a couple of replacements and trials for the Force) he hasn't done himself many favours. I excused the poor game at the WC, because the entire team was badly beaten and it's hard to look good at fullback with 15 blokes to mark, he has faltered more than I'd like at S14 level as well, not sure what it is, he hasn't added up a bunch of minutes, but he'll need to be on his game Friday night.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Mitchell prefers Wykes over Hockings (he played Wykes in the first game against the Blues last year) particularly against lighter weight packs. Wykes is a better ball carrier and has greater athleticism than Hockings. Probably a bit better suited against Chisholm and Harrison.

Our backrow is well suited to play against the Brumbies. The Brumbies are a multi-phase attacking side who prefer to run the ball with the backs. If you have three guys who can cause havoc at the breakdown you make it very hard for them attack in case they get isolated or simply by slowing down the ball. It's hard to know how much the referees will allow and how much latitude they will give the attacking side.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Mitchell prefers Wykes over Hockings (he played Wykes in the first game against the Blues last year) particularly against lighter weight packs. Wykes is a better ball carrier and has greater athleticism than Hockings. Probably a bit better suited against Chisholm and Harrison.

Our backrow is well suited to play against the Brumbies. The Brumbies are a multi-phase attacking side who prefer to run the ball with the backs. If you have three guys who can cause havoc at the breakdown you make it very hard for them attack in case they get isolated or simply by slowing down the ball. It's hard to know how much the referees will allow and how much latitude they will give the attacking side.
    I believe that the directive from the IRB to the refs has been to give more latitude to the attacking team. That will mean more mobile forwards are going to be important as opposed to fat lumps that slow teh ball down.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I think the mistake is not having Shepherd at 15 and JOC at 12.

Otherwise the Force run on side looks great and I am looking forward to the match.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I think the mistake is not having Shepherd at 15 and JOC at 12.

Otherwise the Force run on side looks great and I am looking forward to the match.
    just remember that the numbers are often merely that..numbers.. as we saw last week JOC came into first receiver several times and Bart dropped back.., i also saw Sheps in deep cover on at least two occasions when JOC came forward into the line in attack.. Im sure they'll mix it up, as for once i think we have a very solid defence... always thought Pelesasa was our weak link in defence, Harris is far more composed and that will help a lot!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

No doubt the Force loosies will play well but what will their halves do with it? likely tonk it straight back to the Brumbies... and that’s precisely what the Brumbies want... So Perhaps Mitchell has a clever game plan to defuse the Brumbies talented backs and starve them from the ball. Although without a dominant pack it will be tough. The Brumbies pack have them marked man for man or better.

I can't see Giteau playing, Friend wont risk him for this match, they can win it without him. They need him in SA against 2 very tough teams the Bulls and the Stormers 2-3 weeks. He may not be good for even week 2.

I also suspect that Crossy is only 80% fit and is playing because he is needed more than he is ready.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post

I also suspect that Crossy is only 80% fit and is playing because he is needed more than he is ready.
    Because you spoke with him the other day right?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    YEah, while they were sharing a few Strawberry Daquiris on Muddy's 120" yacht in the middle of Lake Burley-Griffin

C'mon the

vCash
    I wouldn't be all that keen tackling Mortlock with a cracked sternum… but Crossy is alway a man who puts his hand up...

but geez Toomua was confident and keen to start... Has Mitchell called in the rainmakers to slow down the field because its going to be fast points a plenty... Bart and Sam will be breathless.

Gigsy Daquiris after the match TJs paying...

vCash
    I wouldn't be all that keen tackling Mortlock with a cracked sternum…
    Old man Mortlock will probably do a knee or get a concussion just ruinning out onto the field

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    just remember that the numbers are often merely that..numbers.. as we saw last week JOC came into first receiver several times and Bart dropped back.., i also saw Sheps in deep cover on at least two occasions when JOC came forward into the line in attack.. Im sure they'll mix it up, as for once i think we have a very solid defence... always thought Pelesasa was our weak link in defence, Harris is far more composed and that will help a lot!
    With versatile backs like JOC, Bart, Harris and Shep I'm sure Mitch has got them lining up in different formations in training. Keeps the opposition on it's toes.

Loved the move last week where JOC (lined up at fly) kicked through for Shep (lined up at full-back) running at full pelt. I was sure Shep must have been off-side because he was through the line so quickly, but just a brilliantly designed play. Caught Quade and Digby completely by surprise.

vCash
    Hope so JO'C needs to play some 12 during the match and keep the Brumbies Toomua & Lealiifano on their toes...

But Stirlo I see a bit more like this....

Stirling Mortlock is on 996 S14 points He wants to break 1000 at the MES

Last edited by mudskipper; 11-02-10 at 14:24.

vCash
    Hope so JO'C needs to play some 12 during the match and keep the Brumbies Toomua & Lealiifano on their toes...

But Stirlo I see a bit more like this....

Stirling Mortlock is on 996 S14 points He wants to break 1000 at the MES
    GIVING BJs????????????

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    On his way to a spear...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Looking at the Brumbies backline they have two Wallabies in AAC and Mortlock vs our three Wallabies in Shepherd, Cross and O'Connor. Points in the outside backs probably go to us. Now with the inside backs with Giteau out you've got too young guys who are talented by inconsistent against two older guys who are more mature if less flashy. Fairly even. I'd wager on Sheehan over Valentine too. I reckon we'll have this one on a fitter squad and home crowd advantage.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast