Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why people join to stir?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So just to clarify, and I'm not trying to be smart, the consensus by the freedom of speech people is, that you are happy for prospective new TWF Members who are Force supporters to be turned away from joining and disillusioned as to the integrity of TWF and for some(quite a few) valued long term TWF Members to turn away from participating in the site because of the “rights” of a couple of stirrers who churn out off topic and irrelevant posts in virtually every thread even though they demonstrate little to no support for the Force?

We are not making this stuff up, every time one of these clowns comes fishing our uptake of new members demonstrably drops off and the input from normally active "senior" members dries up.

As far as I am concerned, we are first and foremost a Western Force SUPPORTERS site. I have no issue having supporters from other teams and from around the globe joining us and quite enjoy discussing and debating a vast array of teams, themes and topics.

The attraction of going to sign up to a supporter’s site for another team in the Super 14 specifically to stir up the other members escapes me I’m sorry, but I know I enjoy the mood and discussions around here far more when the trolls and fishermen are on "holidays".

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Mudslinger is a fisherman - a very good fisherman.
    My mate Exile, master of the euphemism!

I must admit, I miss Moses and Chookie, they were always good fun, and whilst you knew you were getting hooked half the time, the sport was good fun.

I've warmed to WJ over the last couple of months...he does say some good stuff and I suspect the Tah worship is ampost out of duty to his original persona as much as anyhting else. I remember a couple of times, stung by an insightful post of his in response to one excessively one-eyed of my own.

The Clock brothers from Qld are astute rugby minds (if a little precious where the Reds are concerned, let's face it I'm a little precious where the Force are concerned) and are definately worth crossing blades with if rugby debate is what you're after.

I guess that completes the list of fishermen I respect. I think the rest of them, need to take a leaf out of those books!

My 2c

C'mon the

vCash
    As long as they don't come on here solely to bag the Force I don't have any issues with them.

There are 1 or 2 well 2 that just seem to want to continually bag OUR team. Why not find a site to support your own team and spend your life being positive rather than negative.

I like the input from some of the other teams supporters, they put positive things about their team on here for us to know without bagging the Force so good on em for it.

TOCC and TIC seem to have the QLD support covered and seem to put intelligent ideas and replys forward.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    But there is a difference between fishing and simply having a different viewpoint or opinion, and posing leading questions or taking extreme positions can sometimes be a way of expressing those opinions. It is a line to walk for the mods and not one I envy.

vCash
    TWF is in the public domain and offers membership with general reputable guidelines... However TWF has become larger than just a small Western Force supporter web group, its is now a “Rugby Hub”... Let me explain what I mean by hub. TWF has become virtual information destination. Undertake this simple test, try Google-ing a rugby topic about an Australian team, a player or a rugby journalist and you will find TWF site listed many times over as you click though the pages presented. Furthermore this is growing in TWF’s current from and will get even larger. TWF is spreading by the very nature of the web in which it occupies and uses what is known as “viral marketing” about the Force and also rugby in general.

Effectively TWF has become a rugby virtual portal. In doing so this portal or gateway links to other team sites and media sites. TWF will attract cross over of visitors which are viewable here daily and some visitors like myself stay and register and some will blow in and out. But all have an invested interest in the same brotherhood, rugby. While some threads, posts or banter are in fun, others offer polarising viewpoints. Challenging posts can define what each supporter thinks about their team, other teams, supporters or rugby communities. A portal can never be about one common viewpoint but many because it is an open doorway.

Personally I try to leave behind new threads in this portal for others to read and comment on, as they wish. Broadening the TWF portal for others to cross over into new virtual rugby spaces. Other times I have a little fun or banter with other members who enjoy some debate and yes some is trivial, but it’s not personal…

TWF is an open house; while I understand some of you personally spend time together in the real world enjoying your rugby together which is which is fantastic, like last weeks InnForcer’s Road Trip. The TWF site lives in a larger virtual landscape…and more of us are on that virtual tour bus than you may think… & Coach is driving… cheers mudskipper

Last edited by mudskipper; 03-03-09 at 17:53.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    But there is a difference between fishing and simply having a different viewpoint or opinion, and posing leading questions or taking extreme positions can sometimes be a way of expressing those opinions. It is a line to walk for the mods and not one I envy.
    The mods have got it pretty much nailed at the moment don't you think

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I actually enjoy HeyZeus and Moses. Moses is a good bloke and good to have a chat with. WJ on the other hand has 2 sides. there is the thoughtful WJ who has some great stuff to offer - and every now and then, this other guy slips in and goes and stuffs all the good work.

Mudslinger is a fisherman - a very good fisherman.
    Thanks Exile….. I’ll take that as a compliment but perhaps not as rave review…. Its always good to have adversaries who are up to the challenge….

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    My 2 bobs worth.the Clock bros are the type of non Force supporters we need,they add a little colour and know their rugby. On the other hand we have arseholes popping in on occasion that add zip to the site...... remedy people........... dont post.

Jeaulosy is a curse.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I have no problem with non-Force folk being active here, I have no problem with "abrasive" pro-Force folk being active here, I also have no major problem with 'fishing' and banter just for the sake of it.

I am however starting to have an ever increasing issue with constant trolling (kinda like fishing - with multiple lines in the water).

My tolerance levels for such posts/practices is at an all time low. All mods would probably tell you I am to too soft on such posters - I'm a pretty liberal sort of fella, I try to be fair and have a high regard for freedom of expression/speech - however when a single members posts impact negatively on many others to the point of them no longer visiting TWF, I think I need to start drawing a line.

I'm putting it down to the start of season and people being excited about their respective teams and opinions.

I'm going to lift all bans tomorrow, and instruct moderators to be very liberal in issuing 'yellow cards'. If you get a warning, take heed - they are a prelude to a 'red card' (banning). Bannings will now be a minimum of one week, you will however have plenty of warning.

I am investigating bringing in a form of "peer moderating" where I can let people sort it out for themselves. If it goes to plan, members will be able to dish out 'yellow cards' to other members - a certain number of yellow cards in certain a period of time would result in an automatic red card and automatic suspension for a period of time.

Mods of course would be able to over rule yellow and red cards.

More information on this as I work out the system to come, I will try to make it as fair as possible and minimise possiblility of abuse (which will come with it's own penalties)

You may let me know of you approval or disapproval of such a system by praising/smoting the next post.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Should I attemp to introduce 'peer moderating' where members can 'yellow card' other members as per previous post?

Praise = Yes/I Like teh concept
    Smite = No/Don't like teh concept

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Your the man Coach.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I think the mods are doing good....my whole point of this thread was to try and tell people to ignore the idiots where possible or at least keep it separate from more serious threads. Maybe the mods can be more ruthless with the BS that appears in genuine rugby threads and as soon as it gets ridiculously off topic as it often does just automatically move the off topic section into another area, where the people involved can continue to their hearts content. Freedom of speach but not to the detriment of the topic, as it were.

Peer moderating to me sounds like it could end up being a shit fight or gang warfare, tongue in cheek slightly. I suspect you'll understand my point. But happy to go with the majority.

Oh, BTW, dictatorships in certain circumstances are the only way things actually work.

Just happy to be here

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I think for the peer moderating to work, you would have to work out a weighted value system. based on either time as a member or number of posts either way Gipeto the fisherman has 20 of his mates join and the next thing you know Robyn is banned for liking drew. if you know what i mean.

Last edited by .X.; 03-03-09 at 19:28.

Exile
    Port Macquarie

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth then go out and get what you’re worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that!" - Rocky Balboa

vCash
    I prefer a benevolent dictatorship/oligarchy to all-out mob rule.
    It'll rain cards like confetti (and while that in itself would be HIGHLY amusing , I'm pretty sure its novelty would wear off quickly).

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Coach I don't think I like the idea, but I don't want to smite you!! Haha so put me down as a non-smiting no-thankyou-I-like-mods vote please

I think for the peer moderating to work, you would have to work out a weighted value system. based on either time as a member or number of posts either was Gipeto the fisherman has 20 of his mates join and the next thing you know Robyn is banned for liking drew. if you know what i mean.

Who is this Gipeto and would he like to take this outside?!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast