Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NO MORE ASHLEY-COOPER @ FULLBACK PLZ

vCash
    Why is two dads even being played at full back, he should be groomed for the centres for gods sake, its just a huge waste of time and development.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    AAC is what we have available.

I don't actually have much issue with his game except his kicking. His positional kicking needs work, and lots of it. But worse is that he seems to kick a lot of up and unders and I'm not sure I remember any of them being recovered. We won last weekend despite less than half the possession, and that does seem to often be the case. Constantly giving the ball back is bloody stupid and he'd be a damn sight better running the thing as he actually isn't bad at that. Perhaps he catches the ball and feels isolated, but you'd think that should teach him something about chasing kicks?

vCash
    i dont like him there either
    drew....for fullback

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Why is two dads even being played at full back, he should be groomed for the centres for gods sake, its just a huge waste of time and development.
    Erm, because he doesn't really show what it takes to nick a 13 jumper off our Crossy? Even the BRUMBIES were playing him at FB this last season. How can he be the best centre in Australia if he's not first choice for ACT?

It is not a waste of time and development. Enhancing a players skill can never be regarded as a waste. He could come to need those skills one day, and won't we be glad that he learnt them? I certainly wouldn't mind if Robbie shows him some fullback tricks.

Drew shouldn't be at fullback because he is playing absolutely FANTASTICALLY on the wing. Deans insisted on AAC at his very worst, and his improvement it's going to see him be dropped. The back three are working well together. So AAC isn't working perfectly, but AAC-Hynes-Drew seems to be going along smoothly.

As someone on TWF told me, change for the sake of change isn't worth it (and, so help me, I think it had something to do with dropping AAC for Drew I have learnt a lesson on this site )

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    Even the BRUMBIES were playing him at FB this last season. How can he be the best centre in Australia if he's not first choice for ACT?

Actually Mark Gerrard was the brumbies fullback for the most part and had a solid season despite the injuries and lack of experience in their backline. So much so many thought the choice between him and cam shepherd was much closer then what eventuated. I even recall "2 dads" even resigning to the fact based on his S14 form(ie HE WAS CRAP) he had no chance at fullback and hoped his versatility would keep him in the squad.
    I am convinced 2 dads has photos of some ARU chiefs naked at a she man brothel.

How was 2 dads fumble under pressure which gave the poms momentum to eventually score the disallowed and allowed try? Yeah reeeeeeal solid!!

vCash
    At the start of the season he had I think 2 starts (checks- nope, ONE) before he was injured, and during that game he was playing outside centre, but he returned from injury against the Chiefs, at 15.

http://www.brumbies.com.au/act.rugby/page/53829

Given, Gerrad was injured. Then he had a game on the wing, then 13, then 4 games on the wing. Sorry, I thought I had read somewhere that he was playing 15 all season.

While I have just proven myself wrong on one point, I'll recover and say that the guy only played 2 games at 13. and 4 on the wing.

Seems like Dean's and the brumbies coach didn't have a discussion bout AAC over a cuppa.

I just don't feel comfortable about Gerrad. I have grown to have faith in AAC. Only for the time though

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    I have to agree that at the moment, AAC looks like the best option at 15 with Sheps out.
    Mark Gerard has been inconsistent and off form as can be seen in his last game agains the force. I do rate Mark myself, but he hasn't really put his hand up for the position during his super 14 games.
    JOC is still too young to be given the 15 jumper, and should have a few games coming on from the bench to get some experience.
    Drew is not a 15 and he knows it. He has been so much more effective on the wing and his try tally shows it. Yeah, he can only kick off one foot and he plays a style of rugby that is quite different from the Deans school of rugby. Deans likes a good tactical game but yet, likes the players to play whats in front of them.
    Drew has a great running game and can break tackles well, but his tactical kicking game lets him down at times. He can play 15, but I think he's much more comfortable in a 11 or 14.

AAC has a bad kicking game as well, but at least he can kick off both feet. His bombs need some work, but is getting there. He has a very strong running style that lets him break the first few tackles, very very very crucial when playing at 15 because you need to hold yourself up for a bit while back up comes. He also puts up a fight in a tackle, and as mentioned before, stays up in a tackle until someone can come and ruck over. His defensive game is quite sound as well. Bledisloe 2, he made a crucial tackle head on, was injured, but got up and made another try saving tackle while the trainer stood and watched and grimaced.
    I think AAC deserves the 15 spot for now while sheps is out, but he's doing an alright job. I can think of so many worse 15s for the job.

vCash
    I rate AAC's running game but am yet to see him use it counter attacking as a fullback thanks to his obsession to kick and not chase.
    Defensively he's ok when he's not under pressure and is in a good position to use his forehead to stop tackles.
    Admittedly Gerrard had a ordinary game against the force but AAC had a pretty ordinary season in general!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2