Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Force approaches Federal gov for handout

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    Ron Alexander, head of the Dept of Sport & recreation was quoted as saying "It's just not viable, Increasing members Equity to hold 25000 would require the community to subsidise the venue to the tune of $3 mil to $4 mil a year, I'd like to see a business case from the Force that shows how they will be profitable there"

He also said that the $25 mil gov funding promised in 2004 was "off the table"
    "Rugby didn't want it because they told us after their first year they were staying at Subiaco oval"
    Cry me a bloody river Ron- the viability of a slightly expanded MES isn't whats worrying you- it's the fact that not being able to abuse rectangular field sports as a cash cow by extorting extravagent rents to line the pockets of the WAFC.

RugbyWA DID provide a business case to support at new 35-40,000 seat stadium which did demonstrate it was financially viable- the taskforce dismissed it on the basis that the projected attendance was 'too optimistic' (and then assumed a higher attendance at the Multi-purpose Stadium than RWA had in their modelling). Given that MES already turns a slight profit as it is, I think there's an obvious case for the upgrade proposed without draining the community of millions of dollar a year (unless he means the government's gonna have to pay the WAFC that to make them stop whining about lost income).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Cry me a bloody river Ron- the viability of a slightly expanded MES isn't whats worrying you- it's the fact that not being able to abuse rectangular field sports as a cash cow by extorting extravagent rents to line the pockets of the WAFC.

RugbyWA DID provide a business case to support at new 35-40,000 seat stadium which did demonstrate it was financially viable- the taskforce dismissed it on the basis that the projected attendance was 'too optimistic' (and then assumed a higher attendance at the Multi-purpose Stadium than RWA had in their modelling). Given that MES already turns a slight profit as it is, I think there's an obvious case for the upgrade proposed without draining the community of millions of dollar a year (unless he means the government's gonna have to pay the WAFC that to make them stop whining about lost income).
    Can't dispute any of that. In fact it's one of the most coherent arguments I've read on this forum. Thank you.

The point I would make is that it shouldn't really matter what the projections might be about how much money has to be invested in MES development. The Force are in a position where it is financially imperative that they move from Subi. Whatever the MES looks like will be sold out every match. Much better than giving the gAyFL $2mill a year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    The article was very specific about RugbyWa needing to put forward a business plan for the funding - apparently the Langenaut report dismissed this option on the grounds that rugbywa would end up carrying the stadium financially as the other tenants couldn't afford a rent increase.

Seemed a bit rough would have thought that the onus would be on Nick Tanna to put forward a business case - which must be better now we are tenants.
    The Langoulant report stated that the business case was unviable for a $450 Million dollar Brand new 35,000 seat dedicated rectangle occupied solely by the Western Force and the Glory......We're going to see a bit of movement given that the funding required has dropped to $100 Million, the Super 14 will expand in 2010 and the WARL are now playing JimBeam Cup.

Let's not even discuss the return of NRL fixtures to WA, with a push by South Sydney to use Perth as a second home, the Possibility of a WA side in the NRL, World Cup fixtures, the fact that Langoulant simply forgot to add the many concerts and other events hosted at MES now.......I reckon there might be a chance we could cover the 3 or 4 million a year Ron assbucket mentioned.

Matter of fact, if RugbyWA paid the same rent they do to Subiaco Oval, they would cover half of that shortfall on their own....shit they could probably finance it themselves if they could find a bank with enough money to cover the mortgage!

C'mon the

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2