Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RugbyWA Release Digby Ioane On Compassionate Grounds

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by almac
    good luck to him, i am sure he will regret it next year when the force, chop up the reds AGAIN!!!

I can almost see the Peter O'Meara Christmas Card to QRU........

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Good for you Western Force, the compassionate grounds and all, we dont need anyone against their will.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It would be good for the Force to get a right-foot kicker if they do get a replacement. Digby was really good last season, something to look forward to in terms of performance with a consisently similar backline. But I´ve seen a few Reds games this season and players like Ben Tune who play centre and wing really don´t seem to get much quality ball.

I´d be really good if the Force can pick up a form player or 2 from any of the under-rated the ARC players.

vCash
    Well,you've always gotta look on the bright side. Digby will get a lot of game time over there, because he's been developed better than any oftheir prospects. Haig hascovered that spot well in the past (remember Crusaders '06) and as a fourth option in the back three will not be aproblem. We will also have the ability to pick up a quality outside back with the loss of both Canno and Digby. It appears that Hooker is pretty well covered with Holmsey and Tai, so I thing Mitch wouldprobably be looking for another development hooker to push Holmes for a spot and save a bit of cash for a ready-made wing option to back up Spanner,Shep and Drew.

Spent most of my time bludging on the blind.

vCash
    Some nice comments here, but also some sour grapes. Comments about him making a bad career move etc are churlish. The Reds could have said the same thing when its players left the club to move west a few years ago, but they didn't. The truth is that the Force were last in 2006 and the Reds are last in 2007. So what? Each year brings new opportunities, as the Force proved this year. The signs are encouraging for the Reds as the QRU is getting its act together, the player exodus has stopped, and most importantly, they are re-signing what will probably be the form forward pack in the years ahead, whilst developing some really exciting back line talent. There were many football as well as personal issues for Digby to come back to Brisbane. I think the Force have been sensible by not making a big deal about this because you can't force a person to live where they don't want to live. Just a pity that O'Meara and others had to take such a back handed swipe at the Reds in the process - after all, Queensland Rugby has been very good in supplying the Force with its cattle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic
    Some nice comments here, but also some sour grapes. Comments about him making a bad career move etc are churlish. The Reds could have said the same thing when its players left the club to move west a few years ago, but they didn't.
    As churlish as this?

Drew Mitchell and Wendell Sailor have the same thing in common - an inflated opinion of their own ability. Rest assured, Wendell will not be coming back to the Reds - and Mitchell will certainly never be welcolmed back either.
    I really do think it's not in Digby's interest. Matter of fact I think if going "home" to Brisbane was the overriding factor then his best move might even have been to the Broncos or The Titans. He'd be an absolute sensation in RL. He played growing up in Melbourne and he wouldn't need to kick much at all. But for now he seems pretty intent on Wallaby honors.

I doubt the QRU or Eddy Jones would agree about Drew and Wendell either. I reckon they'd be snapped up for this weekend if they were available. But that's just my opinion. If you read all the posts here and take them in context, I think you'll agree nearly everyone wishes Digby well. He'll always be a first year Forceman, so a special player around here.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Digby is getting a lot of sympathy.

At the end of the day he should never have put the Force in the situation it was in and he is a professional athlete.

Soccer players move to England from Australia, away from his family.

For me, I think it is quite soft that he is using family as a reason to go. Why commit to the Force in the first place and then do the dirty on them?

Sorry I think more sympathy needs to be given to O'Meara who has just had Queensland poach a player that was committed to the Force...Is that not illegal and far worse then what we have done?

vCash
    Digby's legacy will be as a young man who the EWF tamed into a player of note -
    the tackling against the crusaders, the bonus point try against the reds and his mad hair are what I will always remember him for - he wore one red and one blue boot again last night for his last game - so either he has a better sense of humour than we know about or he has learnt to be more honest in his dealings (show where his loyalties lie) he played very well for us and like many I wish him all the best for the future

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    boot thing was a dare from his brother... looks like it's just a good sense of humour. Probably not a good idea as it kind of mocks our support for him... but hey... he's a big boy and he can do what he likes.

Wasn't impressed when a majority of the crowd booed when Digby's name was called out when the teams were being announced before the game. Also throughout the game the people around me had very few nice things to say about him. Though I didn't object to the popular nickname 'bannana boy' being distributed... gave me a good laugh.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He was wearing the multi boots last week too.
    Will have to go to the tape to see if they have swapped feet.
    Might be his way of using both up so as not waste them...
    Last week it was described as being due to "losing a bet from a Wanneroo team mate."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan
    Digby is getting a lot of sympathy.

At the end of the day he should never have put the Force in the situation it was in and he is a professional athlete.

Soccer players move to England from Australia, away from his family.

For me, I think it is quite soft that he is using family as a reason to go. Why commit to the Force in the first place and then do the dirty on them?

Sorry I think more sympathy needs to be given to O'Meara who has just had Queensland poach a player that was committed to the Force...Is that not illegal and far worse then what we have done?
    Don't expect any sympathy from Qld. Nathan Sharpe commited the greatest act of treason imaginable - as captain of his home state, taking the money and not helping through a tough period. In the process, causing a flood of players to follow. Sharpe will never again be welcomed in Qld. Digby's performance is minor by comparison.

vCash
    Don't expect any sympathy from Qld. Nathan Sharpe commited the greatest act of treason imaginable - as captain of his home state, taking the money and not helping through a tough period. In the process, causing a flood of players to follow.
    You are quite wrong here, tic. And being a bit "churlish" again. Nathan was offered the permanent captaincy of Qld at a time when they were in dire straits. Elton Flatley was forced to retire, they were in ZA and their form was just as bad as it is now. He was forced to decline as he'd already GIVEN HIS WORD to The Force. He did the right thing by making it public straight away.

Get over it.

Last edited by shasta; 08-05-07 at 09:27.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And, as he is Wagga Wagga born, I think you will find NSW is actually his "home state" tic.
    Likewise that other great "Queenslander" Chris Latham, who is from Narrabri, NSW.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    You are quite wrong here, tic. And being a bit "churlish" again. Nathan was offered the permanent captaincy of Qld at a time when they were in dire straits. Elton Flatley was forced to retire, they were in ZA and their form was just as bad as it is now. He was forced to decline as he'd already GIVEN HIS WORD to The Force. He did the right thing by making it public straight away.

Get over it.
    Oh don't worry, I was over it ages ago - just stating a fact. This fellow is pretty shallow if he will trade away the captaincy of a state with a long and proud history, because the going was tough and the dollars were better elsewhere. All I can say to the Force is this - if the going gets tough, wait for the announcement that N. Sharpe will be going to Europe to play football.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    And, as he is Wagga Wagga born, I think you will find NSW is actually his "home state" tic.
    Likewise that other great "Queenslander" Chris Latham, who is from Narrabri, NSW.
    Doesn't really matter where he was born, he played his super rugby for the Reds and was given the great honour of captaining the side. Something that many footballers would give their left gonad to do. He was also the subject of a very strong supporters campaign to keep him - the type of campaign that kept Latham at the Reds when he was considering going to Europe.

Last edited by tic; 08-05-07 at 14:03. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    a state with a long and proud history.
    Not just for you tic but for anyone (mainly you eastern staters) who only thought that we began playing rugby "west of Broken Hill" (nice one Burgs) in 2006, have read of this

http://www.colonialrugby.com.au/perth-wa.htm

we too have a long and pround rugby history, 126 years so far.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast