Thread: He's in a Lote trouble

vCash
    were you the hooker skip?

0 Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Tuqiri's emotions run high for return

Rupert Guinness | August 14, 2009

LOTE TUQIRI couldn't hold his emotions back last night when he trained for the first time with a rugby team since being sacked as one of the highest paid Wallabies early last month.

When he joined his West Harbour teammates at St Luke's Park at Concord in preparation for his return to playing since the Australian Rugby Union tore up his contract, the first thing he did was to give a pep talk to the club's under-11s side.

Within minutes of taking to the field, he was giving the best advice he could offer them in preparation for their semi-final against Rooty Hill this weekend.

And he openly admitted that the emotional and physical energy that has been building as he trained mostly alone while his former Wallabies teammates embarked on their Tri Nations campaign might have got the better of him before an audience so young.

Asked what he told the West Harbour tackers, Tuqiri, his smile beaming, said: ''Just to back each other up really and make sure they can look at each other in the face when they come off. They may have been bit full-on words for 11-year-olds, but I probably don't know any different really.''

Tuqiri, who was officially welcomed back to the fold of the Pirates by coach Stu Woodhouse before their training run began, was as excited as he has been to run with a team again.

''Back on the training paddock with a footy team … it's really good actually. So far it's been about having a solitary feel of the ball. I have been training, boxing and stuff with other boys. But not so much footy work. It's good to get back in. I might be a bit rusty on the weekend.''

This weekend, Tuqiri will play for the Pirates in their Shute Shield clash against Warringah at Pittwater Park, a game they must win if they are to move up from eighth place and into the top six in time for the finals.

Tuqiri, who has a lot of experience in must-win encounters, is relishing the challenge of proving he can make a difference in a side that is reputed for its attacking flair, but down in defence - an issue highlighted in last Saturday's 27-22 loss to Eastern Suburbs.

''The last time I played footy was for the Pirates,'' Tuqiri said. ''I am really looking forward to it. They are not totally out. Mathematically, they can make it. Hopefully, I can bring some added spark or whatever they need.

''They have been playing together for a while, and now I have come back. I don't know where I will play yet [coach Woodhouse has indicated he will play on the wing].

''They got back Nick Riley last week, who was an Australian Sevens player, and I think he has added some attacking spark. We are known for our attacking play. So hopefully we can defend a bit better than we have been.''

Tuqiri, who expected the nerves to strike ''when I go out'' on to the field on Saturday, said he was still undecided about his future as a player - other than that he would play for the Pirates as long as he was available.

Asked if he were closer to settling his future, he said: ''No, no … that is in the background at the moment. I just want to get out and play some footy … play this week maybe next week [for the Pirates]. They are my club. I am registered here. We will see how I go.''

Tuqiri said playing for his club had also helped him to handle the pressure of his court dealings with the ARU over his sacking, the exact reason for which has not been made public.

''It is probably easier to be out here on the park and not worry about anything else. It's easier than sitting at home and going over things in your head,'' he said. ''It's fine. I love playing footy. At the end of the day, I am a footy player, mate. It's what I am paid to do, obviously I am not getting paid any more so … no, it's good.''

Nonetheless, Tuqiri said he might go out to Homebush next week to watch his former teammates take on the All Blacks.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...e#contentSwap1

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    If you had been there the past few weeks they might have already sealed a semi final spot, you f@cking great git!

0 Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I'm starting to wonder if Lote-gate is doing more damage to the Wallabies than we all realise... The Wallabies have been unfocused and lacking drive...

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2