Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No rectangular stadium

vCash
    its ok at least there is going to be a new stadium. i dont see how removable seating would work. its annoying that theyre not giving us a rectangular staduim but the afl teams have been asking for alot longer then the force so its fair.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    How big was subi before the eagles were invented and how soon after the eagles were invented did it get bigger/more corporatised?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    If you look at the artists impression in the article, you can see a rugby ground marked out for reference. It is clear that the bulk of the seats will be further from the action than at Subi. So, assuming retractable seating survives the inevitable cost cutting measures, how many seats do you think will actually move closer to the action?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Coach, re Subi, as I recall it has always had a large capacity due to its grass banks for standing room.
    I remember going to the WAFL GF in '86 and sitting on the banks then (City end as I recall...) it was awesome.
    I think it may have actually had greater capacity prior to the Three Tier than after it was built.

That's the point, I agree AndyS with what I think you are alluding to.
    Regardless of what a few may gain with retractable seats, Joe Public is still going to be sitting in the nose bleed sections 100m from the action and relying on Sports Ears and the Big Screen for replays.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    A new 60,000 seater is great for big matches - but it's the other games that matter most to us rugby punters. I was near back row of the grandstand at members equity and saw everything crystal clear - no need for a big screen in a stadium half the capacity with the right shape/design.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    I think it may have actually had greater capacity prior to the Three Tier than after it was built..
    yes but that was because it was standing!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    You did read the first line?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash

oval stadium

jade stadium christchurch is oval and we sat in retractable seats with great view for the lions 1 st test weather was the biggest problem
    maybe we should look at something way out of the ordinary look at sporting braga stadium in portugal rebuilt for european championships stadium carved out of a hill with one goal a complete granite wall three sides seated how about cottesloe what a great site the will upset the blue ribbon area

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    You did read the first line?
    obviously bloody not!! lol

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm rectangularrrr

Last edited by Happy; 20-05-07 at 20:50.
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Jade stadium may be oval, but the boundaries are frankly a bit of a joke for cricket and you certainly wouldn't get an AFL game on it. This will be an altogether bigger piece of work.

Burgs, it won't just be the bulk of the average punters that will still be a long way from the action, it will be the corporates too. There may be more facilities, but I wonder what the effect might be of making the view worse for the existing corporate support (and whether we would be lumbered with a whole bunch of Stadium members a la Telstra Stadium)

Out of interest, has anyone located any websites that might give an indication as to what's actually achievable with retractable seating? Telstra appears to require 8 hours and a bunch of turf to be lifted, but is that the only system available? If so, we've probably got about as much chance if we ask for an entire stand to be moved closer on some sort of hydraulic tractor crawler.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Most of you missed the point in the original article that is only the prefered site.
    There is nothing binding the govt. to any option - they can accept it, accept any other option, or just ignore it and hope it will all go away.

The East Perth site is on the cards as they 'have too' get rid of the old power station and need a 'feasible' reason.

Unless the EP option includes links to both east/west and north/south rail-links along with freeway on ramps its wasted space - the traffic hassels will be worse than current Subiaco. The WAFC will still opt for revampin Subi Oval as this will keep most of the money for paying commisioners great salaries.

Note, this option actually realigns the ground north/south. Only East Perth and Meuller park do that, its a much better playing construct.

From a rugby perspective, IF they do the EP option and build to road/raillinks in - that will reinforce the option of developing ME stadium into a 20 -25,000 seat rectangular.

So EP could work well for rugby and a rectangular ME redevlopment.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Nothing new about the information released in that article as far as the rectangular stadium is concerned. We have already been told that the idea was going to be to phase the building of the stadiums and as far as recommending that the rectangular stadium be shelved for several years then I take that as journalistic BS.

Let's wait and see what the report actually says, then let the battle begin.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Todays West quoted Carpenter as saying he wanted to sit down with all the sports and see what they thought of the proposal - am guessing from what I have heard of this proposal so far the meeting with RugbyWA should take about 30 seconds

This whole thing is a farce elsewhere Carpenter says he more worried about funding the Desalination Plant so people don't die of thirst - can't see the Langonout Stadium happening this side of 2011

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone
    This whole thing is a farce elsewhere Carpenter says he more worried about funding the Desalination Plant so people don't die of thirst - can't see the Langonout Stadium happening this side of 2011
    and I don't think we will die of thirst before 2011 either.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I'd like to see retractable seating at Subi. We live in an AFL state, so lets try to work with it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast