George Smith re-signs with CA Brumbies until 2011
Friday, 8 May 2009 Brumbies Media Unit

George Smith, who will remain with the CA Brumbies until 2011.

The CA Brumbies have received a boost ahead of Saturday’s must win match against the Blues, with flanker George Smith committing to the ACT-based province and Australian rugby until 2011.

Smith, who is second on the CA Brumbies’ all-time caps with 118 matches, has missed just one Super Rugby game in the CA Brumbies’ last 118 matches when he was ruled out with a sternum injury for his side’s match against the Chiefs in 2005. Smith’s re-signing stands him in line to eclipse George Gregan’s all-time Super Rugby record of 136 caps.

The 28-year-old, who was a member of the CA Brumbies’ Championship sides in 2001 and 2004, has won seven Brett Robinson Players Player Awards (2001, 2003-2008), three consecutive Australian Investec Super 14 Player of the Year (2006-2008), two Rugby Union Players Association Player of the Year awards (2007-2008) and two John Eales Medal (2002, 2008). In 2005 he was also selected in the Wallaby Team of the Decade.

Smith (96 Tests) is currently the fourth most-capped Wallaby behind George Gregan (139), Stephen Larkham (102) and David Campese (100). In 2008 he became the most-capped flanker in world rugby eclipsing Frenchman Oliver Magne (89 caps) and the most-capped Wallaby forward ahead of John Eales (86 caps).

Smith says he’s looking forward to continuing his affiliation with the CA Brumbies.

“I’ve never made any secret of wanting to remain a Brumby for life and I’m extremely happy to sign on for another two years,” he said.

“I’m confident we are working towards something very special down here and I wouldn’t have signed on again if I didn’t think we could continue the success the Brumbies have had in the past.

“I’ve been part of the Brumbies since I was 19 and it has become a second home for me. It has been a privilege to play with the players that have been through here and it’s been an honour to have had the success we’ve had with those guys.

“But I’m excited with the direction the coaching staff is taking the side at the moment, my family and I are very happy living in Canberra, I love being part of the Brumbies and, at this point in time, there wasn’t any reason for us to move.”

Smith says the lure of a third Rugby World Cup also contributed to his decision.

“Obviously having the opportunity to play in another World Cup [in 2011] was an appealing reason to remain in Australia,” he said. “Robbie Deans and the Wallabies coaching staff did a fantastic job in developing the side last year and having the chance to play in – and hopefully win – a World Cup in 2011 was a factor in staying in Australia and with the Brumbies.”

CA Brumbies Head Coach Andy Friend says Smith continues to be a cornerstone in the success of the CA Brumbies.

“George Smith is the complete footballer,” he said. “He is a player who inspires and leads his teammates with his actions on the field. Defensively he’s outstanding, he’s as equipped at first receiver as many flyhalves, he’s still the best player at the breakdown in the world and the consistency of his performances is unmatched.

“George has shown his value to the Brumbies and Wallabies over the past decade and he’s earned every accolade he’s received along the way.

“It goes without saying that we are extremely pleased that George will remain with the Brumbies and Australian rugby for another two seasons.”

Brumbies Rugby CEO Andrew Fagan says Smith has been the standout forward in Australian rugby over the past 10 years.

“George has been at the foundation of CA Brumbies and Wallabies sides for the better part of a decade,” he said. “His phenomenal ability to stay on the field despite the physical nature of his game has allowed him to become one of the greats in Australian rugby.

“While he has claimed nearly every honor there is to accept, I think the most impressive aspect of George’s career has been his ability to remain incredibly grounded and unassuming and there’s no question that he is a role model for younger players.

“We’re very pleased to see George re-sign and there’s no question that he will be largely responsible for our success over the next two years.”

ARU Managing Director and CEO John O’Neill says Smith is among the elite players in world rugby.

“George is indisputably one of the finest players in the world today,” he said. “He is also on the verge of joining that exclusive club of players to have represented their countries in 100 Tests.

“His current tally of 96 Test appearances bears testament to his longevity, class and ability.

“Retention is a key to success and we’re delighted George has decided to stay in Australia.”

Smith will start for the CA Brumbies against the Blues at Canberra Stadium on Saturday.

George Smith

Position: Flanker
Physical: 1.80m, 104kg
Super 14 Caps: 118
Super 14 Points: 75 (15t)
Super 14 Debut: 2000 v Sharks, Canberra
Test Caps: 96
Test Points: 45 (9t)
Test Debut: 2000 v France, Paris