Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Super expansion to give rugby a bigger footprint on sporting landscape

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Actually, once we are not sharing the ground, I think you can bank on the AFL trying to schedule games to directly clash with the rugby - should be interesting to see how much of our support is cross-over.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I fear there'll be a compromise on the quality of the the teams who qualify for the finals, especially if it's the top 2 from each 'conference'.

Is this the only way that JO'N will get Aussie teams into the finals?!?! Mediocre, at best.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post

Is this the only way that JO'N will get Aussie teams into the finals?!?! Mediocre, at best.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I'm rarely one to defend the JO'N, but I think we can guess where that part of the plan has come from, if it is indeed the case (i.e. not on this side of the Indian Ocean)

vCash
    Posted via Mobile Device
    That's just a ridiculous comment.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I fear there'll be a compromise on the quality of the the teams who qualify for the finals, especially if it's the top 2 from each 'conference'.

Posted via Mobile Device
    that 'top 2 from each' sounds very much like what the saffas wanted.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Well, if you want Australian provincial (and therefore, ultimately, international) rugby to become mediocre then by all means continue with supporting the top 2 from each of the 3 national conferences option. This will keep the broadcasters happy, at least but will do nothing to promote excellence & the right sort of mental attitude required to achieve the highest international honours.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Jedi, most people are agreed its a stupid idea, and said as much when the South Africans floated it at the start of this year.

vCash
    And the fact that South Africa was pushing the idea so insistently was one of the big things that was creating friction between them and the ARU - hence the issue with your comment.

vCash
    Maybe this is one of the things Steve Tew sees as a disappointment and a compromise.....given the press releases I've read, I'd think Tew and O'Neill were on the same page with this one.

Shit idea, seriously shit idea, but if it means Super 15 and the retention of the brand in the same (general) format it's one I can put up with.

I don't know who said it now, but it's a pretty standard feature of conference play that conference leaders get into the final series. I hope there is some sort of a wildcard entry deal in place though, since the conferences are pretty small and therefore quality could accumulate in a single conference (not looking at anyone New Zealand) and the other two could simply get hammered in the finals.

Although if you allow the top two from each conference in, there's still a really good chance that the best two teams will play the GF, surely they'd seed the conferences away from themselves in the semis. That way, even if the best two teams come from the same conference, they will only meet each other in the GF.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Although if you allow the top two from each conference in, there's still a really good chance that the best two teams will play the GF, surely they'd seed the conferences away from themselves in the semis. That way, even if the best two teams come from the same conference, they will only meet each other in the GF.
    My guess is they'd just seed it based on accumulated points but we'll see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Actually, once we are not sharing the ground, I think you can bank on the AFL trying to schedule games to directly clash with the rugby - should be interesting to see how much of our support is cross-over.
    That would depend on how many saturday games the Force play next year. The AFL doesn't like to schedule games here in Perth on a Friday night as they rate poorly back in Victoria

Posted via Mobile Device
    Considering everything I have read over the past few months points to the South Africans stonewalling a normal Top 6, ie one that is just based on merit not some stupid conference system. Either shows how much you actually read about Rugby or your just fishing. From someone who supports Scottish Rugby.......

Player
    vCash
    I suppose this years S14 is a bit of an anti-climax for oz rugby followers(and non bulls supporters) now that there are no teams in the semis and 3 kiwi teams which really doesnt reflect the closeness of the top 6 teams.

I didnt even watch the S14 final when the bulls and sharks played in the final,this maybe harder to achieve under the new format.Certainly having 3 kiwi teams in the semis would be a thing of the past.

It would have been much better and fairer to have had the top 6 team semis format this year.

The new format of having the top 2 teams from each country competing in the finals will still result in the best team winning overall as mentioned before.And more games,well thats what us supporters want isnt it.

Only negative is the top teams will attract the best players because they will want to play in the semis....JOC may have been drawn to the brumbies if this format was already in place.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    But if used in conjunction with the derby round, it will be disastrous - all that you would need to do is stay in touch during the main international section, then get into second place nationally.

Look at this year as the example, as we would now be about to start the conference rounds. The Chiefs would now have to defend their spot against the Crusaders and Hurricanes to make the final. We on the other hand would just need to tip over either the Waratahs or Brumbies to be looking at a top two finish in Australia. How the hell is that in any way fair?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post

i'm not sure if that would be possible as fox has part rights to AFL broadcasting in australia, and they are the sole broadcaster of super rugby. i don't think it would be an out there statement to say that fox has a say in match sheduling

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'm sure they do, but also not out there to suggest they once they have the choice they may prefer to have back-to-back games on Saturday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2