Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Game Concept a Reality

vCash
    I wonder if they'll use a rugby ball or a league ball tonight?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Will be interesting to see how it goes. Has anyone seen the rules they are going to be using?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Same as at the start of the thread (6 tackles in defensive half, 6 rucks/mauls in attacking half).

I get the impression this game will be like having sex with your hot cousin - great fun but still an abomination, with the danger you'll end up with a mutant freak child at the end of it...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    severly limits our Union player pool.
    Like it or not RL is by a long, long way the favored Rugby code in Australia and is gaining ground in NZ. It presently outstrips AFL for viewer numbers, conceding that Origin and Tests help boost that number. Your hope of it withering eventually might be a forlorn one. Hope so.

Seems to me that you are sailing pretty close to arguing against yourself, Burgs. The point you make about it limiting the player pool is the factor that makes it attractive to people like Bennett and Evans.

Of course Rugby might have to put up with a few more "ciprianis" as more of those horrible bogans proved to be good at the game.

But seriously, the savings in development funding and an increased talent pool outweigh the possible embarrassment. IMO.

I think it's a balanced way to look at the subject and has zeo to do with some hybrid circus between the national teams. But around these parts it's mostly a bit like to say so.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    I wonder if they'll use a rugby ball or a league ball tonight?
    "Handover" at the half way? Nah - sounds like League.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I guess I'm a little old school - I'd prefer to see both sports sink or swim on their own merits, acknowledging that rugby would most likely lose out in any turf war in this country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    "Handover" at the half way? Nah - sounds like League.
    My friend suggested they use an AFL ball!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    I guess I'm a little old school - I'd prefer to see both sports sink or swim on their own merits, acknowledging that rugby would most likely lose out in any turf war.
    For me the international aspect of Rugby is it's attraction and RL is my local "tribal" interest - couldn't really give much of a rat's about Four Four Nations, etc- with the exception of the "Trans Tasmans" of late.

I'm willing to give consideration to any idea that will increase our international competitiveness in Rugby (in reality, doubt the NRL would). If that be at the expense of potential RL recruits, so what. The game could easily handle that. Both codes should consider it to better compete for kids with the AFLephant in the room. Like you said, RU likely has the most to lose. I don't want to see that.

vCash
    I know it was only a Phil Rothfield article - but what if the NRL do get what they are looking for in their TV Rights agreement and their Salary Cap goes up to $7 million.

What kind of money will they then be able to throw at juniors comming through from either code? They will probably be in a better position to keep those juniors as well with 2 potential new teams comming on board at some stage

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I know it was only a Phil Rothfield article -

What kind of money will they then be able to throw at juniors comming through from either code?
    The salary cap doesn't really come into it to any great degree though, unless the Dad's are swayed by little Sonny's potential earnings. The NRL will definitely get a much enhanced offer (and still fall short of AFL's).

They are already chucking money at WA by funding the S.G. Ball team - which is 1) doing OK against the NSW clubs 2) 80% WA kids. the next step is supposedly when they move into Toyota Cup.

Beige chucked a figure at me the other day that 19 WA players are currently playing in NRL set-ups already. The ARU by comparison is moving the WA academy to Melbourne.

I guess the whole idea of joint junior development is likely moot already as the NRL wouldn't get a lot of upside anyway.

vCash
    I guess the point I was trying to highlight is that some Kids who play Rugby through their teens end up on the NRL payroll. Some come back, some don't. Money does talk

19?! That is a fair amount considering that there is no Perth based RL side in the NRL. Include the number of WA players in the SG Ball side.......

I thought the idea of the Western Force was 1) Deepen the pool of players who can play for Australia 2) Give a direct pathway to elite level Rugby (we accepted that it may take 5-10 years to be producing a steady stream of players ready for Super Rugby)

Moving the Force Academy and amalgamating it with Melbourne is just dumb by the ARU

As for the death of RL - Someone should go to ANZ this Friday night and ask some of the expected 40,000+ crowd at the Bulldogs vs Dragons what they think about it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    19?! That is a fair amount considering that there is no Perth based RL side in the NRL. Include the number of WA players in the SG Ball side.......
    I'll let Beige answer that one. Creative accounting you reckon?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I'll let Beige answer that one. Creative accounting you reckon?
    Brain Waldron is in charge?

vCash
    Sorry, just double checked and it's 19 playing over east - not all would be in NRL set ups.

vCash
    By the way, is anyone planning to record the broadcast (I'm assuming it's technically possible)? I'll probably miss at the least the first half and I'd really like to see it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast