Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Steyn drops Bulls into Super 14 final

vCash
    To be honest I'm just glad the Crusaders aren't going to win it again. Nothing against the team it's just nicer to see some other teams up there and in with a chance.

One day it will be us.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Our turn next year We'll have a home field without the hoodoo of the place of Spew, and I'll put us in the top 4 for sure!

Bulls to win, they're at home and WOW that Bulls crowd had me green with envy. We need to be like that, in a stadium like that. BRING ON MES! I don't like the Saders, my personal All-Black disliking infects all Kiwi rugby teams. I hope the Bulls win. Just without the drop-goal-athalon. What was the Yellow card for to the Saders lock? That was the turning point of the game and the stupid Saffa TV didn't tell us why!

0 Not allowed!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Thomas "The Tank Engine" Waldrom (Number 8). For slowing down the ball. Bulls had momentum and wanted quick ball on attack and he cynically and illegally prevented it from coming out of the ruck.

0 Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    To be honest I'm just glad the Crusaders aren't going to win it again. Nothing against the team it's just nicer to see some other teams up there and in with a chance.

One day it will be us.
    Tall poppy syndrome WRF??

So after a championship or two you will be happy to for the Force to step aside for someone else to have a crack?
    Posted via Mobile Device

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    I have a soft spot for the Crusaders. That said, it'd be nice to see the Bulls do it again too so I was just enjoying the game as an impartial spectator last night.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Tall poppy syndrome WRF??

So after a championship or two you will be happy to for the Force to step aside for someone else to have a crack?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Championship or 7 you mean.

And NO the shoe will be on the the other foot then and I'll just keep taking the wins thanks.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Best semi (if not one of the best S14 game) I've watched. Loved it and loved it with the drop goals. They certainly added to the character of the game.."what, another drop goal?", "No, not another!" "Shit he's done another!". Loved it. This is what Rugby is about.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Drop goals is a sign of desperation, if you want to win a game by kicks...go and play AFL.

0 Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tdevil View Post
    Drop goals is a sign of desperation, if you want to win a game by kicks...go and play AFL.
    Poppycock.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Poppycock.
    Just my opinion KQ, for me rugby is about scoring tries. If you look at stats most of the time the team with the drop goals also scored less tries and therefore my statement..... If they can't score tries they go for the drop goal in desperation.

0 Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    It's just another tactic to win a game. If the defending side can't prevent them from happening then they'll get points put on the board against them.

Please enough has changed in the rule book for one decade, lets leave it to rest for a bit.

0 Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tdevil View Post
    Maybe Larkham should have gone and played AFL after the 1999 world cup semi final against the Boks then?

It is part of the game and in my view when your teams is slotting them through it is fine when it is the opposition however they are bastards for employing sneaky tactics and should grow a pair and run the ball!

0 Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    I have developed a new way to cure my insomnia. I count drop goals being kicked, normally I'm asleep after one.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Browsing on Super14.com and discovered this! Basically - pressure

Chiefs plan to shut Steyn down

Article Published: Thursday 28 May 2009

The Chiefs say that they intend targeting Morne Steyn drop goal technique by targeting another area of the Bulls game.

Steyn (pictured) kicked four drop goals last week when the Bulls beat the Crusaders and now has a reputation for proficient drop goal kicking.

Steyn gets his space as for his drop goals as he operates behind a hardnosed, physically imposing and technically efficient set of forwards which gives him the time to set up his attack through his boot or passing.

Chiefs assistant coach Craig Stevenson has acknowledged the threat posed by Steyn, who has 10 Super 14 drop goals beside his name this season alone.

But he insists the playmaker can be put off his stride providing close attention is paid to those around him.

"Obviously Morne is a very good player and he kicks the ball a long way, especially at altitude," Stevenson told NZPA.

"They do have a very, very good kicking game and we are going to have to close it down.

"We have to make sure we put pressure on his halfback (Fourie du Preez) and once again they have a very, very good halfback.

"As a forward pack we need to put pressure on to disrupt their ball and try to slow it down and make it untidy.

"Then we can get pressure on their kickers."

The Chiefs head into their first Super Rugby final boosted by some positive signs shown at training by their All Black centre Richard Kahui.

Kahui has missed the last two matches after bruising his thigh but has been running freely since the Chiefs arrived in Pretoria.

Stevenson said the Chiefs forwards took great heart from their effort against the Bulls in Pretoria last month, a game they lost 27-33.

"We know we can scrum well against them, our lineout worked well, and we just need to make sure we shut down their momentum.

"Our loose forwards have been defending really well off our set piece and our props have been getting in to help there too.

"We know we are up against a huge challenge against a huge forward pack.

"But we only have 80 minutes of rugby left and we are looking forward to that challenge."

http://www.super14.com/news/viewarticle.asp?id=20530

0 Not allowed!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2