Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: French rugby union clubs to place limit foreign players

vCash
    This has come on the back of a humiliating (by French standards) performance in the 6 nations, beaten by the Irish and English and their Guinness Premiership Team Stade Francais was just beaten by Harlequins. The average French Fan is not having much joy at the moment.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    This has come on the back of a humiliating (by French standards) performance in the 6 nations, beaten by the Irish and English and their Guinness Premiership Team Stade Francais was just beaten by Harlequins. The average French Fan is not having much joy at the moment.
    Guinness Premiership Team Stade Francais?????

Would have been a Heineken Cup game I'd say. I thought this game was back in December.

Only Toulouse remain in the hunt for European glory still.

3 English clubs, 2 Welsh, 1 French and 2 Irish.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Saw quoted elsewhere that 40% of those 8 squads are from the Southern Hemisphere. Figures.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I dont know about this, if they can only have a limit of forgin players then they will stop signing super14 rejects and go straight to the top players like Matt Giteau and George Smith.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

vCash
    Hmmmm. I don't know about that. I mean I think they have already done that. The thing that has stopped most of them going has been the hard line taken by the ARU & NZRU and the value the players place on being a Wallaby/All Black. That's what has been worrying about the exceptions for Carter and Elsom. If some good judges are to be believed Giteau's manager had a darned good crack in January too.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I'm sure the salary cap which was mentioned will put a wrinkle in them getting the top talent as well!

C'mon the

vCash
    Clubs seek next Sonny Bill, Gaz

Brad Walter and Glenn Jackson | (SMH) - April 10, 2009

ANYONE who doubts the presence of Sonny Bill Williams and Mark Gasnier in French rugby union has encouraged clubs wanting to entice NRL players to switch codes should think again. "I think a lot of players can play union in Europe with no trouble and I think now every professional rugby union club is looking for the best players in rugby league because if they can win a duel one-on-one like Mark Gasnier or break the line like Sonny Bill Williams they can make a difference in a game," said Stade Francais forwards coach Fabrice Landreau, an interested spectator at Sydney Roosters training yesterday. Landreau, who admits he had not heard of Gasnier before he quit the Dragons to join Stade Francais, said he and Williams had made an impact in their first season. "For us, Mark Gasnier is fantastic," he said. "He is a brilliant player, he is very skilful and one-on-one he is the best. He can pass on the left and the right and he is very clever. After six months he has made big progress and if he continues like that he can play for the Wallabies." As for Williams, who will return to Sydney to play in the Barbarians match against the Wallabies on June 6, Landreau said: "Sonny Bill is strong, he's fast and he's scored a lot of tries for Toulon, who are not the best team in France now. If Sonny Bill Williams was with Perpignan or Toulouse he would be fantastic but I think he likes rugby union and he likes Toulon because a lot of other clubs were interested in him and he has re-signed."

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I think he likes rugby union and he likes Toulon because a lot of other clubs were interested in him and he has re-signed."
    I think he likes money and Toulon have a bigger wheelbarrow!

C'mon the

vCash
    Sorry WRF - your're correct it's the Heinken Cup not the Guinness Premiership - still stand by the idea that the French aren't doing as well as they normally do.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Sorry WRF - your're correct it's the Heinken Cup not the Guinness Premiership - still stand by the idea that the French aren't doing as well as they normally do.
    Yeah they've got some work to do. But against Wales they were the best I've seen them for along time. We'll see what they send down here later in the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    We'll see what they send down here later in the year.
    Cannon Fodder
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I should think that with the current lack of sponsorship money worldwide it's going to be a lot harder to entice marque players from current deals.

Just happy to be here

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It sounds like the French are doing the ARU's job for them. Get a leaguie to convert and go to France. If he sucks then forget about him but if he actually makes it good after 2 or 3 years of making money over there get them to come back. That way the ARU can stop pumping disgusting amounts of money into the like of Timana Tahu, bleh. Has he even been playing?

It's hard days for league between constant player raids and constant off field media attention. It could be a good time for the ARU to make up a lot of the ground they've lost to league in recent years. Also makes me proud of the Australian rugby players who, unlike their New Zealand or league counterparts, don't do many stupid things that bring the heat down on them. Which got me thinking and it occurred to me that, despite being evil buggers on the pitch, you never hear about South African rugby players misbehaving off the pitch (Luke Watson + Earl and Jody Rose the only exceptions I can think of).

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2