Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NSW Country Cockatoos emerge as surprise bidders for new Super team

Player
    vCash
    Andy

The various regional country unions already fall under the Country banner. And if the Cockatoos got up and running then all the NSW Country unions would align themselves even closer. It would work. There's history there.

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:02 ----------

You'll find that the NSWRU will turn its focus more to Sydney which might even bring on a name change to Sydney itself. I'd see this as a positive if it got up. Country rugby would get more funds to sustain and grow its player bases and development pathways and the NSWRU could finally address some of the defencies it suffers in the metropolitian area like Western Sydney for instance.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:11 ----------

I've played both Country Rugby and City Rugby in NSW and don't be surprised if the majority of NSW Rugby fans might actually think that the emergence of NSW Country as it own independent professional union with its own Pro team is a good idea.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class View Post
    Andy

The various regional country unions already fall under the Country banner. And if the Cockatoos got up and running then all the NSW Country unions would align themselves even closer. It would work. There's history there.
    Yes, them, and they do. But my understanding is that the Country banner itself is under the NSWRU. From the NSWRU site...
    "NSW Rugby’s offices at Moore Park house a number of operations, all of who have the sole purpose of furthering the sport’s cause in NSW. From the Community Rugby department, under which Coaching, NSW Country, NSW Juniors, Referees and Suburban Rugby all sit; to Commercial, Premiership, and Media, NSW Rugby is looking after all aspects of Rugby’s present and future.".

So my question is, would they then be breaking this department out as an entirely new, functionally and administratively separate entity, with separate funding from the new team and ARU? Which clubs will go with which Union, and does it mean they are out of the Shute Shield? One way or another there would be a redistribution of current funding - more funds for country will mean less for city. Nothing but stress, grief and aggravation all round.

None of that is necessarily a bad thing, but the question would have to be whether it is best use of the expansion opportunity. If there is an imbalance in all these things, surely it would be easier to examine the existing structures to address the issue? Especially if it meant that another region is told (again) to get to the back of the queue.

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Not to put a harpoon in your well crafted argument Andy, but isn't that what would happen if Western Sydney, or Gold Coast get a gig?

Personally I think it would also happen if Melbourne got it.
    Yes, of course - same argument applies. They are dabbling in uncharted waters, and potentially risking major disruption to what little we have underpinning professional rugby. At least in Victoria the worst case outcome is likely to be that the new organisation would merely become the defacto VRU.

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Actually, it's a pretty good description of the way the provincial boards handle things right now. with the biggest two brothers picking on all the smaller ones.
    Perhaps. So we'd want a third one because....? All it would do is consolidate ARU vested interests in NSW.

Player
    vCash
    Andy

I'd imagine that most if not all the Country Rugby Clubs would gladly fall under the banner of the Cockatoos. The opportunity will be too good to miss. SANZAR have agreed on a fairer split of the revenue's of TV deal so there more money instead of less for Australia and NZ. It could be a massive plus for both Sydney and country rugby.

As for the ARIU's vested interest in NSW of course look at most of the Force, brumbies and Tahs squads. There a common theme in terms of where they come from

vCash
    It wont happen....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Andy

I'd imagine that most if not all the Country Rugby Clubs would gladly fall under the banner of the Cockatoos. The opportunity will be too good to miss.
    I'm sure they would - as I say though, my question is whather it the best opportunity for Australian rugby (which is, after all, what the ARU is supposed to be safeguarding).

But if NSW country feels disenfranchised by the NSWRU due to geography or administration, how will that necessarily be improved by creating a new entity 80km up the coast. Most everywhere would be just as geographically remote as now, and if there is an easy administrative fix why aren't the ARU making the NSWRU enact it? My suspicion is that, whilst everyone might be swept along by enthusiasm over the idea of a "country" team, they will find out that they are about as represented by it as Bunbury is by the Dockers.

As for the ARIU's vested interest in NSW of course look at most of the Force, brumbies and Tahs squads. There a common theme in terms of where they come from
    Not what I am talking about. The ARU will have an equity interest in the new team, so whoever it aligns with will be given an increased profile. If that is NSW country club rugby, then anything that might in any way threaten the status quo will be even more out-of-bounds than is currently the case. If instead it is aligned to the development of the game in a new region such as Victoria, they may look with new eyes at initiatives that will strengthen the game outside just the current bastions of the game. Again, it is about what is best for the game as a whole in Australia - it can be argued either way, but for mine going defensive will hand the AFL a major advantage in cutting into market share. After all, they are now engaged with Rugby's broadcaster and if Fox starts thinking they provide a better option for engaging the national audience...

Player
    vCash
    Andy

The likelihood is that one of the Vic bids will be awarded the licence so this is just pure speculation.

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

I'd still like to see some sort of development league for the failed bidders to play in for any future expansions.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    A secondary concern perhaps, but I'd worry that it will all colour how a Victorian team was structured. My big hope is that, in demonstrating that supposedly viable teams are possible in all these locations, the ARU might do exactly that and create a development/ARC competition on the back of the sponsorship and interest.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Give it to South Australia - they've got nothing since Bradman died....

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Player
    vCash
    Secondary it maybe but their have been 7 bidders from within Australia. I would never have thought that there would have been that many bidding parties. The ARU and SANZAR need to seize the opportunity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2