Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a new #10 in our own backyard

vCash
    hell yeah! lucas at 9 and harris at 10! I hear they dropped shipperley after his heroics last weekend.we'll take him too!! time to raid queensland again!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    When will the force learn throwing money at someone isnt the solution.
    When it finally works
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    When will the force learn throwing money at someone isnt the solution..

How many $millions have been spent on recruiting 5/8's to the Force and how much do you have to show for it..
    Posted via Mobile Device
    TOCC you are usually very sensible so I'll let that one go.

What do you expect us to do? We tried throwing money at an established star (Giteau). It didn't work. We tried developing a highly talented youngster (O'Connor). It didn't work. We are currently working on developing a highly talented local youngster (Godwin) but he is 2-3 years off being ready to start a game and he needs a mentor to bring him along. There really isn't an alternative. If the Force continue to prop up the competition, we will lose supporters and lose sponsors. We don't have the quality of junior development or club competition (yet) that Queensland have to bounce back from that.

Perhaps what we should have done is held onto Brock James, James Hilgendorf and Scott Daruda and concentrated on upping the quality of the players around them. But hindsight is 20/20 and that train has sailed. In the mean time, we need a quality fly-half and we need them next season. If you are going to criticise the decision making, pray tell us what you would do?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    TOCC forgets all the QLD GPS schools buy all their stars with "scholarships"

I hope you read this while you're stuck in traffic on your way to Toowoomba you belter

QLD police........the best money can buy

QLD sold their state to the japanese in the 80's and 90's

QLD is now selling all their prime agricultural land to overseas mining magnates for fracking....and the state is still bankrupt thanks to an astonishingly bad labor government

Greg Inglis is a NSW boy. No doubt there was some folding stuff in his decision to play for the morons, I mean maroons

......and by the way, the Force have a few wins over QLD to show for it

Controversy corner

vCash
    Really Rex, is that the best you could come up with?
    I haven't lived in Queensland for over 2 years, in fact im not even in Australia at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    TOCC you are usually very sensible so I'll let that one go.

What do you expect us to do? We tried throwing money at an established star (Giteau). It didn't work. We tried developing a highly talented youngster (O'Connor). It didn't work. We are currently working on developing a highly talented local youngster (Godwin) but he is 2-3 years off being ready to start a game and he needs a mentor to bring him along. There really isn't an alternative. If the Force continue to prop up the competition, we will lose supporters and lose sponsors. We don't have the quality of junior development or club competition (yet) that Queensland have to bounce back from that.

Perhaps what we should have done is held onto Brock James, James Hilgendorf and Scott Daruda and concentrated on upping the quality of the players around them. But hindsight is 20/20 and that train has sailed. In the mean time, we need a quality fly-half and we need them next season. If you are going to criticise the decision making, pray tell us what you would do?
    Its obvious that there are failings in the talent identification/development role, for the past 5 years its been identified that 5/8 is a weak spot in the Force lineup, yet after all that the only thing to show is Kyle Goodwin. Yes JOC was one that slipped away, but even then it's debatable whether he was been developed for the fly-half position.

Queensland had the Super Rugby player of the year at 5/8 in 2011 and still upgraded Jono Lance to a full-time contract as well as adding Ulupano Seuteni and Dallan Murphy to the extended playing squad.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    All the kiwi press rated Harris as best 10 for round 1

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    All the kiwi press rated Harris as best 10 for round 1
    I didn't see all the games, but it certainly is possible based upon what I saw!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Its obvious that there are failings in the talent identification/development role, for the past 5 years its been identified that 5/8 is a weak spot in the Force lineup, yet after all that the only thing to show is Kyle Goodwin. Yes JOC was one that slipped away, but even then it's debatable whether he was been developed for the fly-half position.

Queensland had the Super Rugby player of the year at 5/8 in 2011 and still upgraded Jono Lance to a full-time contract as well as adding Ulupano Seuteni and Dallan Murphy to the extended playing squad.
    For the past three years, when Giteau decided to leave, 5/8 has been identified as a weak spot. Like I said, we don't have the club competition or the junior numbers to churn out star prospect after star prospect. It's true better succession planning should have been done, but that is easier said than done in our system. You can't compare Queensland to WA it is just unrealistic- you have the junior talent and the club pathway to Super Rugby and we don't (yet).

You said what you would have done 5 years ago but you haven't said what you would do here and now.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Queensland were so flush full of home grown inside backs,James,that they imported a Kiwi

vCash
    I haven't lived in Queensland for over 2 years, in fact im not even in Australia at the moment.
    Complications with the sex change operation?

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Complications with the sex change operation?
    One of your better flames Rex. I'm impressed.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    For the past three years, when Giteau decided to leave, 5/8 has been identified as a weak spot. Like I said, we don't have the club competition or the junior numbers to churn out star prospect after star prospect. It's true better succession planning should have been done, but that is easier said than done in our system. You can't compare Queensland to WA it is just unrealistic- you have the junior talent and the club pathway to Super Rugby and we don't (yet).

You said what you would have done 5 years ago but you haven't said what you would do here and now.
    Why would the Force start tying to develop there own players at 5/8 when its obvious the same policy doesn't apply to the rest of the positions in the team. Do what you have always done, scout QLD/NSW club and schoolboy players and look at the 7's squads.

Players like Bernard Foley are prime examples of where the Force missed the boat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    Queensland were so flush full of home grown inside backs,James,that they imported a Kiwi
    Queensland have 5 flyhalfs in the roster, and even Ben Tapuai plays 5/8 for Sunnybank..

Id be more concerned why the Force wasted there marquee position on a winger, when it was obvious even prior to Ripias departure that they were short on play-makers.

vCash
    I agree with TOCC, one marque player wont change the team results, perhaps just sell some tickets, AKA Giteau 3 years and JOC 2 years, a genuine succession plan seems to be missing in the backs.

vCash
    Sounds like Brumby land

Gregan/larkham et al retire..................nuffink

14ish wallabies last year...........nuffink

more coaches in 2012 than a 17th century coronation...........nuffink

sponsors..................nuffink (got a University to donate half their federal grant to "sponsorship")

Brumbies are like aero bars........... little bubbles of nuffink

Controversy corner

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast