Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Things Looking Good for Sheps...

vCash
    Cross in contention

From Jim Morton in Montpellier, France
    September 10, 2007

RUGBY league convert Ryan Cross has joined Australia's short-list of potential Rugby World Cup replacements for grounded wing Mark Gerrard.

Wallabies coach John Connolly today listed the Western Force centre among five candidates for the vacant spot in Australia's 30-man squad.

Gerrard's Rugby World Cup ended with his first touch of the ball in the 91-3 hammering of Japan in Lyon yesterday, rupturing the medial ligament in his left knee in a tackle.

Connolly said the replacement would be announced by tomorrow and would join the team in Cardiff by Friday, although he would not be considered for the pivotal pool B match against Wales.

Force full back/wing Cameron Shepherd remains the favourite to get the call, but New South Wales wing Lachlan Turner, Queensland wing Digby Ioane, Cross and Reds full back/wing and fellow league convert Clinton Schifcofske are also under consideration.

The three selectors - Connolly, Scott Johnson and Michael O'Connor - will decide after assessing the form of the candidates on recordings of recent Australian Rugby Championship matches.

Cross is the only centre in the group of five and his selection will be assured if selectors decide to beef up their midfield.

The former Sydney Roosters three-quarter was close to being chosen in the tour party in July after a solid, no-frills debut season for Force and Australia A.

Cross played outside centre in the Super 14 but predominantly inside centre for Australia A in the Pacific Nations Cup.

The toe injury sustained by Adam Ashley-Cooper, who is in doubt for the Wales clash, also aids Cross's cause.

Ashley-Cooper started on the wing against Japan but covers the centres along with Scott Staniforth, while Lote Tuqiri is also seen as a back-up option to skipper Stirling Mortlock.

"Obviously if we pick someone to cover (Gerrard) like-with-like, it's someone that can play wing and full back, because Staniforth covers 12 for us, Adam Ashley-Cooper covers 13," Connolly said.

"What confuses us a little bit is that if Adam is out for an extended period of time, he was the first cover at 13 - that's in the planning."

Connolly admitted that Gerrard's loss significantly affected the balance of the Wallabies bench, particularly as he would prefer to revert to 5-2 forwards-backs split.

"Not having someone like Mark that covers wing and full back comfortably changes the balance of what you have to do," Connolly said.

Gerrard was doing his best to keep a brave face today at the Wallabies' Montpellier base.

"It's disappointing that I'm leaving the tournament after a minute - or not even a minute - but to say that, I'm very proud of being able to pull on that gold jersey in a World Cup, even if it was for a minute," he said.

"I got tackled from one side of my body, so someone had me from one direction and I've obviously gone in the opposite direction up the top.

"(I've) twisted around where my feet stayed put and as I've twisted around someone's tackled me from my left hand side and my body was pretty much a biscuit - I just crumbled straight down."

Agence France-Presse

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Shep on the plane, from 6pm ABC news.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...10/2029161.htm

"Shepherd called up to replace Gerrard"

go Sheps!

vCash
    6pm tonite?? Well we don't have to wait for the official announcement now............or do we to start congratulating Cam??

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    I know im the Chat reporter and can spin a bit, but Shep is packing his bags as we speak.

vCash
    Go Sheps woooohooooooo

i'm a bit sorry to see him go from a Spirit point of view but it's great to see him in the squad albeit through an injury to another player.

vCash
    Am i jumping the gun??

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Jargan, have a panadol then a lie down dude.

vCash
    never, i think i may however be slightly tipsy........... the wonders of wireless internet and the uni tavern

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Kick arse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC article
    Gerrard will return to Australia this week after rupturing his knee in Sunday's 91-3 victory over Japan in Lyon.
    No he won't! Freaking hell! He's already reported he's staying on in Europe to watch the tournie with his family...

Yay for Sheps! Lets hope he proves his worth. Not so keen on the Spirit's chances now though

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Yeah it's a real loss for the Spirit but I think it's such a wonderful opportunity for Sheps.

What are the chances of him actually getting to play?

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    Yeah it's a real loss for the Spirit but I think it's such a wonderful opportunity for Sheps.

What are the chances of him actually getting to play?
    I'd say he'd get some game time Jess....at least in the pools. I mean i think he is def the back up full back over huxley. And if coops is injured then we'll need another winger. I think he has a better chance than gerrard did

vCash
    Good luck Sheps.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    The word on Channel 10 tonight was that he's going to arrive there just in time to be in contention for the Wales game. With AAC injured, i hope either him or spanners get a go there.

They should drop tuqiri and put drew on one wing and sheps on the other. And sheps comes on in the 2nd half.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast