Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ben Cousins in Police Custody

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Sad, really.

Through talent and hard work he had the world at his feet by his mid twenties-an astronomical income, public respect and adulation, caring family, an attractive and supportive partner, the opportunity to set himself up for life by age thirty.

IF there was ever a classic example of what the combination of bad company, weakness of character, recreational useage of drugs and self delusion can do, it is embodied in Cousins.

But I suppose it goes with the territory.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    Sad, really.

Through talent and hard work he had the world at his feet by his mid twenties-an astronomical income, public respect and adulation, caring family, an attractive and supportive partner, the opportunity to set himself up for life by age thirty.

IF there was ever a classic example of what the combination of bad company, weakness of character, recreational useage of drugs and self delusion can do, it is embodied in Cousins.

Is that what happened to you then ?

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    Sad, really.

Couldn't agree more. I just felt sorry for him when i heard this. No matter how much i'm against drugs in sport and how much i think he's an idiot for being caught out again, I don't like to see anyone destroy their life so completely.

I just hope the media cut him a little slack and allow him to possibly get on with his life at some point in the future....

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    No ,TQI. The only one of his attributes I have ever had is an attractive and supportive partner. And even there it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I've kept a lot of bad company though... comes from being involved in rugby circles too long.

vCash
    You can be friends with badasses and not be a badass Fulvio
    __________________________________________________ _

Eagles in damage control

By Jay Clark and Daryl Timms
    October 17, 2007
    WEST Coast was in damage control after Ben Cousins was yesterday charged with drug possession, with his AFL career now hanging in the balance.

The Eagles are expected to call an emergency board meeting within the next 48 hours to deal with Cousins' latest indiscretion.

They will have to decide whether to axe Cousins from the club in line with strict conditions in his contract, believed to include zero tolerance on positive drug tests and criminal misdemeanours.

Cousins, 29, was charged with possessing a prohibited drug – six months after leaving rehabilitation – and failing to provide a blood test. He was arrested after police stopped his car because of concerns with his "manner of driving".

Cousins returned to the club in July after the Eagles lifted an indefinite ban for his substance abuse problem.

The Eagles will also have to deal with Cousins' teammate Daniel Chick, who was arrested separately.

Of further concern to the club, however, is a threat from the AFL Commission in April that any future player infringements would lead to premiership points deductions, draft pick removals, heavy fines or player suspensions.

West Coast and the AFL both said last night they were waiting for full reports on Cousins' arrest before they were prepared to comment.

Eagles chairman Dalton Gooding, who is on holiday in Italy, said it was too early to say whether Cousins would continue playing for West Coast.

"I can't even comment because I don't know many details. So that will be all found out tomorrow," he said last night.

Another Eagles official said the club was obviously disappointed.

"We won't be making any further comment tonight because we haven't been formally told," the official said.

"We just want to make sure everything is in order and we will have a look at it in the morning."

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou, who also is overseas, was told of the arrests by league staff and expressed his disappointment.

The AFL released a brief statement last night, saying it would "await an update from the West Coast Eagles before commenting further".

Brownlow medal winner Brad Hardie, a friend of Cousins, said the troubled Eagle had been trying to stay clean.

"What he wanted to do was get out of the country and away from temptation," Hardie said.

Cousins was due to leave Perth, but is believed to have stayed to be with Chris Mainwaring, who was fighting a substance problem before he died suddenly a fortnight ago.

"He wouldn't have been in town had it not been for the sad loss of Chris Mainwaring, so he may well have been overseas now," Hardie said.

Eagles chief executive Trevor Nisbett is said to have thought Cousins had already left Australia to continue his drug rehabilitation in Malibu.

Hardie said Cousins didn't attend the Eagles' club champion award.

"He didn't go to the club champion award, not that he didn't want to be there, but he knew he was going to be in a situation where the boys would want to let their hair down and have a good time and he didn't want to get involved," he said.

If, however, club officials stick to their word – and the specific conditions set out in Cousins' strict new behavioural contract – Cousins will be delisted.

Key club people, fed up with Cousins' behaviour, are understood to be in favour of dumping the champion.

However, the Eagles are mindful of their duty of care, amid serious concerns for the 238-game veteran's mental stability and general wellbeing.

Some of Cousins' teammates, still holidaying on end-of-season trips, were believed to be "saddened, but not surprised" by his arrest.

Cousins' behaviour had been wearing thin on players for more than a year, and was what sparked an alleged scuffle between two players earlier in the season.

Yesterday on Perth internet news polls, Eagles supporters were overwhelmingly in favour of axing Cousins.

Asked if Cousins was too much trouble, 65 per cent of 800 voters said "yes", 20 per cent said "no" and 13 per cent said, "Let him do what he wants".

Herald Sun

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    piss him off, they won't get much of a trade for him but at least it will save the club some money ... I think it's laughable anyone can feelk sorry for him, if the Mainy death didn't knock some sense into Cousins then quite frankly nothing will and therefore as for any sympathy - none of !!!
    The guy is a drug addicated idiot who if was a regular joe blake, would be in prison by now!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Yep. I think most of the blame really lays at the feet of the club and the league though. I believe they have a responsibility to guide their players through what must be a difficult situation, Fame, Stacks of money and plenty of time on your hands. Shit every drug dealer in Perth is probably looking for a contract with an AFL star.

The club have been negligent by assessing the need to win games in the same decision making process as what should we do with Ben Cousins. They thought they needed him to win, so they rushed him onto the field, bugger whether this was good for the team, the player the club or the game, we need him to win.

In contrast Wendell got Axed (and vilified) instantly, Scotty Fava missed a game for being .01 over the limit or something Lote and Dunning have strict curfews for hanging around with a guy who beats up taxi drivers. These people aren't much different from Ben Cousins, they just aren't allowed to get away with their shit.

Ben could have been averted from this if someone had paid attention to anything other than the scoreline when dealing with him. Pretty sad really, and I don't even watch the poonceball!

C'mon the

vCash
    he deserves all the punishment coming his way- you would of thought after mainey but no doesnt learn

hopefully gets life ban from all AFL

vCash
    Ive just read and been told by a mate of mine that West Coast are poised to sack him to escape penalty from the AFL. Apparently no club is interested in a trade and the AFL may de-register him

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 17-10-07 at 18:33.

vCash
    hes gone! sacked by the eagles, it was on ch10 news, what a lot of talent down the toilet.

vCash
    good ridance to bad rubbish

given more chances than anyone should get

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo
    hes gone! sacked by the eagles, it was on ch10 news, what a lot of talent down the toilet.
    good stuff!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    SGIO are reviewing their eagles sponsorship in light of this latest misshap!!!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    ooo... that's gotta hurt!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Dear SGIO,

Postal Address: PO Box 146, Floreat WA 6014
    Office (W): 9383 7714
    Office (F): 9387 2804
    Email: info@rugbywa.com.au

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast