Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Experts tip Giteau, Cordingley as new Wallabies halves

vCash
    theres also players out there that benefit from exposure to higher level rugby...dont throw them in against the all blacks or boks, play them against the half strength uk teams that tour here

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nearthtop View Post
    theres also players out there that benefit from exposure to higher level rugby...dont throw them in against the all blacks or boks, play them against the half strength uk teams that tour here
    Indeed, the tours before the tri nations would be ideal to blood new talent because let's be honest, they aren't exactly the pinnacle of the game as far as importance goes....

vCash
    i dont see what the obsession with the whole 30yr old age barrier is.

Its extremely common in Australia rugby, that as soon as a player hits 30 he is to old and to slow, in some cases it is true, in many cases i believe if they are good enough then thats all the reason they need.

Look at Burke, 4 years ago when he left OZ, he was considered too old, though for the past few years he has being the star performer at Newcastle in England. Even the NRL, where arguably the week-week intensity is higher you still have players like Petero Civonceva and Steve Price who are in there 30's yet constantly pull MOM performances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    i dont see what the obsession with the whole 30yr old age barrier is.
    He'll be 35-ish when the 2011 world cup is on right? Wouldn't it be better to get 3 and a bit years worth of experience into a young promising lad then play an older bloke until he well and truely breaks down ala. George Gregan? I think the obsession of the selectors is to play it safe and refusing to experiment for the future...is what we are pissed off about, and selecting Cordingley is a representation of that...and let's be honest, I very much doubt Aussie Robbie will turn us around into world beaters in this upcoming season, so why not try new things out...

vCash
    of course you select the best team available regardless of age, i dont have a problem with that.....i just think three years out is the time to identify the young guys who will be pushing for rwc selection to maybe start getting the chance to see if their good enough at the top level....we're gonna need a squad of 30 players who can step up at any time if we want to win the cup back

Player
    vCash
    it does not matter who plays at scrum half because the wallabies pack is no good, has been for 3 years and until the pack goes forward the halves are always going to be under pressure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nearthtop View Post
    of course you select the best team available regardless of age, i dont have a problem with that.....i just think three years out is the time to identify the young guys who will be pushing for rwc selection to maybe start getting the chance to see if their good enough at the top level....we're gonna need a squad of 30 players who can step up at any time if we want to win the cup back
    agreed, but you can give the younger guys exposure by bringing them off the bench, its probably a much better way to introduce them to the test arena.

Maybe play Cordingley for 50min and then bring on the younger guys to play out the rest of the match, and gradually get the guys starting in matches that arent so important.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    agreed, but you can give the younger guys exposure by bringing them off the bench, its probably a much better way to introduce them to the test arena.

Maybe play Cordingley for 50min and then bring on the younger guys to play out the rest of the match, and gradually get the guys starting in matches that arent so important.
    How about playing the young blokes, trying to blood two of them for a few of the pre tri nations games, play Cordingley off the bench for the last of the pre tri nations games, giving him an adequate lead into the Tri Nations, he'll play the tri nations with the best of the two young blokes trialled coming off the bench, and then when we go to play in the UK, Italy and France we will give the young blokes a go again with Cordingley in the squad perhaps coming off the bench just in case the young blokes go terribly bad and Cordingley needs to act as a guiding hand.....

vCash
    which ever way it goes, Deans is the master of bringing young talent through the ranks, he is pretty dam good at bringing young talent through whilst still winning matches. Something previous Wallabies coaches seemed to struggle with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2