Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed new multi-purpose stadium

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    I love it when it rains, it adds to the atmosphere & the experience. Obviously I'd prefer not to get wet but its a sports match who cares!

Its only water - it doesn't hurt, unless you are a water soluble asprin.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Exactly - don't want to get wet, bring a decent jacket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Exactly - don't want to get wet, bring a decent jacket
    Or a poncho!!

vCash
    I don't care if I get rained on! When I said I prefer not to get wet, I mean it as in I like it when it doesnt rain. But who gives a flying poop if it does rain, just wear a rain coat...It doesn't bother me either way, I love it!!!

vCash
    Whoa! Looks like I may have put the cat amongst the pidgeons with that rain comment! Ah well! In all seriousness however, I think that a covering for the spectators should come part and parcel with any new stadium, especially if it's to be considered a "good" stadium. I get the feeling that we have be careful if we get our rectangular stadium, that we don't let the government give us rubbish facilities at it; remember- this is a ground for international codes, if its sub-standard, we could miss out on hosting World Cup qualifiers for soccer, or any other non-regular season game for either rugby code.

Also we have take away the option for the government to use the sub-standard ground as an excuse for blocking the further development of our sport, eg:
    "Well we built the stadium, what more do you want?!"

However as I wrote before, I wonder if it would be possible for the three rectangular to get together on this one, with the help of Allia? We have to get something done as quick as we can; otherwise we'll be forced to go once again cap in hand to the WAFC (even at the new multi-purpose stadium) and keep funding them just to hold our events

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    thats what we are trying to do at the moment with the petition

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Proper Rectangular Stadium > Rain.

vCash
    agreed

vCash
    Like I said Chibi, if you're interested in helping check out what action we've taken to get the three codes on board at We Need Corners - A Rectangular Stadium For Perth!

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Yeah, I've handed a few of those petitions around, I've been on that forum site since it's inception. I just wish it wasn't only fan-power that's needed to get this united front. My point is, you'd think the three codes would already be forward-thinking enough to work together in the first place, especially considering the false promises all three games have had to put up with from the government over the last eighteen years or so.

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Fair point Chibi. But the problem is that most people haven't thought that far ahead. For rugby league, their biggest concern right now is establishing any sort of fan base and trying to break a new team into the competition. The impact of not having an adequate stadium is a problem so far into the future that for most, it isn't a consideration right now. For soccer, the MES is pretty much their own ground (though it'll be interesting to see what happens now it has to share with the WA Reds). Given the crowd numbers they get they probably don't have any qualms about the new stadium. For most, they don't see it as affecting them, particularly given that the town of Vincent is talking about upgrading the MES.

In terms of right now, union is the code that misses out the most. It is up to us to convince the other codes that whilst it may not seem to be a problem for them right now, if they want and future development, they need to support us now and ensure that they have the facilities for such a future.

The other big factor which has prevented action like this in the past is simply the collective belief that we can't achieve anything...the govt is too powerful...we live in an AFL state blah blah blah. But we've shown that's not true. People power really can achieve amazing things. You only have to look at history to see that. Furthermore, this petition isn't just supported by everyday people. It has the backing of politicians, media personalities, the players, the coaches etc. It has the potential to actually be a success and it will be tabled in parliament thanks to GIGS incredible efforts.

So don't give up hope. It is up to all of us to make sure that this doesn't fail. We have to channel our frustration to a positive end.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I get the feeling that we have be careful if we get our rectangular stadium, that we don't let the government give us rubbish facilities at it; remember- this is a ground for international codes, if its sub-standard, we could miss out on hosting World Cup qualifiers for soccer, or any other non-regular season game for either rugby code.
    Not necessarily mate, I've been talking long and loud about a multiple stadium policy. It doesn't make sense for us to build a rectangular stadium suitable for internationals, we just can't afford it, We will EASILY fill 50,000 seats for a test match, but that'll only happen once a year, the rest of the year we'll be sitting on 20-30 thousand empty seats, and the stadium will go broke. What we need to do is retain the operable status of the new stadium, to ensure we have someplace to go when international season rolls around, but also have a sensibly sized, dedicated stadium to take the pressure off the management of the White Elephant during the regular season.

My point is, you'd think the three codes would already be forward-thinking enough to work together in the first place, especially considering the false promises all three games have had to put up with from the government over the last eighteen years or so.
    I hear your frustration mate, but you have to understand the climate within which these guys work. I've spoken with Mitch Hardy about the petition and he's behind us 100% but he's limited by several factors, in no particular order, they are
    • A significan amount of the funding that keeps RugbyWA afloat comes from Alan Carpenter's budget, probably doesn't pay to piss him off
    • The WAFC has John Kobelke and Alan Carpenter in their back pocket
    • AFL has about three times as many spectators per game as S14 from two teams over a competition that is over three times as long....That adds up to a lot more ticket stubs than we can generate
    • The media are in love with the Shockers and the Seagulls, no matter what we say publicity is hard to come by...unless it's publicity that makes us look bad
    • We're seen by the WAFC as a major competitor for their market share....and in this, I don't think they look at ticket receipts, I think they look at corporate input....the are punching well above thier weight in this respect.
    All this adds up to a high level of pressure not to rock a boat that's going down this stream no matter how hard you fight. Why would they risk pissing off so many people who have such a large stake in their destiny when it's highly unlikely they will get a result....Then they'll just look like petulant losers.

This petition is all about getting the media, the Corporate world and the politicials to realise there actually IS a business case for a dedicated rectangular stadium in Perth, and I think it's starting to pay dividends. The Town of Vincent has now tendered for an rchitect to draw up plans for an upgrade to MES, improving the Corporate facilities and increasing seating to 25000 (possibly as many as 28000) you don't think RugbyWA has been involved in getting that to happen? I can tell you right now, MES seats 17,500 and Town of Vincent would never even consider upgrading for the Glory (Average crowd about 8,000) or the Reds (average about 2,000)
    Sorry it's wordy, but you need to understand exactly what's going on here!

C'mon the

vCash
    Well it sounds a lot more promising than what I generally hear about from the media, and to hear that Vincent have actually tendered for an architect is great news!

Just wanted to note though, I personally don't believe we need a huge stadium for our codes, just a well appointed one- and that's what I hope we will all get soon

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    However as I wrote before, I wonder if it would be possible for the three rectangular to get together on this one, with the help of Allia?

I have spoken to the boss of Allia specifically about the petition, Allia are fully aware of the petition and are supportive of our action. They are willing to assist us if we ask for assistance.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    you really are comitted in exile

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast