Poll: Who do rate as the better Scrumhalf for the Force in 2008.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stannard Versus O'Young

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    I rate both of them as scrummies. They need to think of themseleves as small forwards(ie like Henjak, Janurie) to add another feather in their bows.Otherwise i think they kinda compliment each other.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    One thing that frustrates most forwards is a 9 who takes forever to get the ball out. Under the ELVs, getting the ball out slower generally leads to having it pilfered. If you watch most of the games on Foxtel (unfortunately you don't see much from the stands), you will see that is a problem that we have. We don't commit to the breakdown, therefore, if the 9 takes too long to get the ball away, a good 6,7,8 will have the ball gone before you blink.
    Both players have fallen into this trap, and it means that the backline we have is limited.
    Choosing to go the blindside too many times is predictable as well. We play best when we stay unpredictable. So I guess that means that maybe Stannard is the better 9 for our style of play? Personal preference is O'Young. Just needs to develop his own style and not imitate King George (sorry to the Gregan fans here, but I always felt Anthems was a far better 9).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Punkpapa View Post
    One thing that frustrates most forwards is a 9 who takes forever to get the ball out. Under the ELVs, getting the ball out slower generally leads to having it pilfered. If you watch most of the games on Foxtel (unfortunately you don't see much from the stands), you will see that is a problem that we have. We don't commit to the breakdown, therefore, if the 9 takes too long to get the ball away, a good 6,7,8 will have the ball gone before you blink.
    Both players have fallen into this trap, and it means that the backline we have is limited.
    Choosing to go the blindside too many times is predictable as well. We play best when we stay unpredictable. So I guess that means that maybe Stannard is the better 9 for our style of play? Personal preference is O'Young. Just needs to develop his own style and not imitate King George (sorry to the Gregan fans here, but I always felt Anthems was a far better 9).
    there is nothing worse than a slow scrummie. greegs was a slowie too, my dad loves him but got annoyed at him, specially in the RWC 07 because of delayed ball collecting.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    I'd have to go with Chris O'Young.
    Stannard had prob his best game ever last night, but he was still slow to some rucks and had problems with his distribution. Given that he was originally a flyhalf in the WA comp, he has adjusted well to halfback. However, most would know i'm not a big fan of his. He is a bit slow with getting to the ball and sometimes would costs a costly turnover. He is quite inconsistent with his distribution, and if you watch the replay, the balls sometimes hit giteau too low or too high for Git's comfort (and it might result in a Brian Lima-esque tackle one day on Gits). The good thing about Stannard is that he isn't afraid to take a run when he sees a gap. But sometimes, its a bad decision thats been made.
    COY on the other hand, is more consistent with his distribution. He is a really conservative halfback, who concentrates more on the traditional halfback role. I think he has formed a good pairing with gits and knows when to get it back to Gits. COY is a bit boring though with his plays as he hardly goes for a run, but chooses to distribute around more. And he can tackle quite well as well.

I think valentine would be a good introduction to the team. But dont we have Adam Clarke? And Jon McGrath is trying to make a comeback into the squad as well. If we do get Valentine, i think we're gonna see a couple of the halfbacks taking their trade elsewhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce View Post
    I think valentine would be a good introduction to the team. But dont we have Adam Clarke? And Jon McGrath is trying to make a comeback into the squad as well. If we do get Valentine, i think we're gonna see a couple of the halfbacks taking their trade elsewhere.
    paper today suggested we are after Valentine and we might almost have him. But yes, we do have Adam Clarke (neck injury) and Jon McGrath in the Academy which is weird since he did play with us 2006.

vCash
    Jon didnt make the cut in the squad as he wasnt quite there yet. Currently at WA comp level, he fits in well, but not quite suited for super 14 yet.

I actually agree with TLH about them being loose forwards. I rated Henjak highly as he was quite like a loose forward. He was consistent with his distribution, but also ran the ball quite well. And tries to force turnovers rather than just watch. Too bad he's gone.

vCash
    i dont think we need valentine.
    if we get him, gotheforce is right. we will loose stannard or o'young. perhaps both.
    not a scenario i would want to see happen!

vCash
    I agree jono, I wonder what's sitting in the academy/juniors system given that we've done pretty well for a local prop, and winger, along with a young fly!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I agree jono, I wonder what's sitting in the academy/juniors system given that we've done pretty well for a local prop, and winger, along with a young fly!
    Didn't Justin Turner play at 9 in the Reds trial? He'd be what about 18 or 19. That'd probably make him a good option in the next year or two. But ideally in a 33 odd Super 14 squad you'd want 3 scrum-halves and 3 hookers- and after Clarke's neck injury and Henjak's contract being torn up we were left with one. I'd have thought Johnny Mitchell will be keen on having 3 of each thus the pursuit of Valentine and Moore.

You have to admire the way Stannard pulls some of the stuff he does off. When he doesn't necessarily make the right decision sometimes it goes our way just because the opposition aren't expecting that to happen.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    refer back to the pm i sent you the other day gigs.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe Bam Bam needs to work on his passing, observed last night that he goes to Scrumhalf when we have a very deep defensive scrum to strengthen and speed the tackle at the base of the scrum, with George Smith in his way at Wallaby level.... ok, I'll be off now...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash
    definetly chrisso Not sure about valentine He has changed clubs nearly every year in sydney perhaps not a team man [as well as provinces] But a half is needed WHY ARENT WE LOOKING AT ADAM FREIR especially if moore is so undecided

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce View Post
    I actually agree with TLH about them being loose forwards. I rated Henjak highly as he was quite like a loose forward. He was consistent with his distribution, but also ran the ball quite well. And tries to force turnovers rather than just watch. Too bad he's gone.
    i thought henjak was fantastic, and definitely worthy of the green & gold.
    damnit he ain't around no more

vCash
    what could have been hey?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    i thought henjak was fantastic, and definitely worthy of the green & gold.
    damnit he ain't around no more

re-sign him,he has served his sentence

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast